Reply 40 of 89, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nick4 wrote on 2020-06-26, 16:12:
Here is my MB layout: https://i.imgur.com/XJCpfPvl.jpg […]
Show full quote
ATauenis wrote on 2020-06-22, 09:56:

Some Socket 7 boards allowing using FSB or multiplier jumpers' pins as Turbo button pins. So the button can be connected instead of those jumpers and it will work.

Here is my MB layout:
XJCpfPvl.jpg

I don`t see how to connect it...

Connect to FS0...FS2 or BF0...BF2. Depending on what you want to change on fly and the jumper position table. Some MMX CPUs have locked multipler, so can't be over-/down-clocked via it, only FSB clock can be used with them. But some have it unlocked, so an overclocking is possible for them.

Unlocked MMX-200 processors can work from 133 to 233-250 MHz clocks. Locked ones have less clocks, 200-225MHz on most of i430TX boards.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 41 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thoughts about perfect monitor again.

Now I have an option to buy a new in box 17" CRT Samsung SyncMaster 783DF for a reasonable price. Still do not have a permanent place for such setup, but I can keep it for the future.
mtAvuu2.jpg

Can`t find much info about it, but i think it is 2003-2005, still not period correct for my build but it is new CRT that looks good. What do you think guys, is it worth it?

Reply 43 of 89, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This one is good model. I had beige samsung flat screen 15" model and lasted awhile but eventually degraded by 5 years but keep in mind by now their CRT life went downhill. PS: if one found a silver bezel with black housing monitors they are no good even new.

How I know this detailed knowledge, I used to work for electronic repair shop and we were authorized to repair their Samsung stuff.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 44 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-08, 18:42:

This one is good model. I had beige samsung flat screen 15" model and lasted awhile but eventually degraded by 5 years but keep in mind by now their CRT life went downhill. PS: if one found a silver bezel with black housing monitors they are no good even new.

How I know this detailed knowledge, I used to work for electronic repair shop and we were authorized to repair their Samsung stuff.

Cheers,

Thank you! I think I`ll get it. This one is beige model.
I know there were silver/black modification but I thought that difference only in color?

Reply 45 of 89, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get yours anyway and keep brightness down while easily visible.

silver/black models has 2 issues and they were all gone by then since they were manufactured between late 2003-2005.

15" had CRT cathode drivers in one IC improperly grounded (actually the manufacturer of that IC did not design this correctly, not samsung's), there was recall for was modification (adding jumper to PCB, but not to the IC itself) but didn't work, but I figured out the source was adhesive gum caused ground loops; metal tape with adhesive. Remove the IC and peel back the tape that is on back of the IC that is in contact with heatsink, using acetone, remove the adhesive gum completely from IC and tape, apply thermal paste fold the foil back on and put spring lock washers under two screws each completes the modification. symptom is: brown lines across image and very intermittent.

I think one of 2 ground pins is connected via die bond wire is not equal in grounding resistance in that IC, the true ground was the tab thermal metal of driver IC due to unique design of samsung, it was the metal foil adhered to this and folded over the front of IC package as well to save on thermal paste and speed up manufacturing.

19" CRT cathode premature wear out (green fading out), causing purple tint within warranty period. I didn't bother with them and just exchanged them with Samsung. When they went out of warranty, advise junk them.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 46 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-09, 17:56:
Get yours anyway and keep brightness down while easily visible. […]
Show full quote

Get yours anyway and keep brightness down while easily visible.

silver/black models has 2 issues and they were all gone by then since they were manufactured between late 2003-2005.

15" had CRT cathode drivers in one IC improperly grounded (actually the manufacturer of that IC did not design this correctly, not samsung's), there was recall for was modification (adding jumper to PCB, but not to the IC itself) but didn't work, but I figured out the source was adhesive gum caused ground loops; metal tape with adhesive. Remove the IC and peel back the tape that is on back of the IC that is in contact with heatsink, using acetone, remove the adhesive gum completely from IC and tape, apply thermal paste fold the foil back on and put spring lock washers under two screws each completes the modification. symptom is: brown lines across image and very intermittent.

I think one of 2 ground pins is connected via die bond wire is not equal in grounding resistance in that IC, the true ground was the tab thermal metal of driver IC due to unique design of samsung, it was the metal foil adhered to this and folded over the front of IC package as well to save on thermal paste and speed up manufacturing.

19" CRT cathode premature wear out (green fading out), causing purple tint within warranty period. I didn't bother with them and just exchanged them with Samsung. When they went out of warranty, advise junk them.

Cheers,

Thank you, for so much information!

But unfortunally, I failed to buy this monitor.

Reply 49 of 89, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nick4 wrote on 2020-06-26, 16:12:
Here is my MB layout: https://i.imgur.com/XJCpfPvl.jpg […]
Show full quote
ATauenis wrote on 2020-06-22, 09:56:

Some Socket 7 boards allowing using FSB or multiplier jumpers' pins as Turbo button pins. So the button can be connected instead of those jumpers and it will work.

Here is my MB layout:
XJCpfPvl.jpg

I don`t see how to connect it...

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-22, 10:13:

To use 386 speed in bios disable CPU and Motheboard cache.
To use 486 speed in bios disable motherboard cache only.

I know about that. I don`t need to slow down it now, just wanted to get all working=)

FSB and multiplier jumpers for the TXP4.
yLtIpPN.png

You can use the turbo button to change jumper positions for one switch.

For example, you can toggle between 50mhz and 66mhz FSB speed by installing the triple pin plug from the turbo switch across FS1. At 3x multi (nominal for a P200), you would switch between 150 and 200 mhz. Putting the plug on BF0 would toggle between a multiplier of 3.5 and 2. At a nominal FSB of 66, this would yield a switchable CPU clock of 133 and 233 mhz. Given a 200 mhz CPU, you could either accept the modest overclock or underclock the FSB to bring the CPU clock in specification.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 50 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After 6 months of search, I finally got a NOS CRT Monitor for my build.

It is 17 inch Samsung SyncMaster 793 DF

Box have seen better days:
Ykaml2bl.jpg

Hell yeah:
ep1g785l.jpg

Finally, final setup=)
a132v9Kl.jpg

It is produced October 2005, so it`s not 100% period correct, but who cares? It`s new and fits perfectly!

Reply 53 of 89, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are looking for a Network card the 3com 3c509, Intel Pro 10/100 and Netgear FA310 are plug and play with Win95/98.
Drivers are provided in Win 95/98.

But for best DOS only support go with the 3com or Intel.

Reply 55 of 89, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boxed NOS crt's are my weakness, when they're not asking 1000.00 for one that is. Congrats are yer find,
looks great. Maybe show some pics of dos games on it.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 56 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-01-08, 20:12:

Nice, I can already hear the Win95 boot chime ringing out on that before you settle in to some mid-90s gaming.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-08, 20:23:

Nice find on that monitor. That whole setup just looks fantastic. Your all set for hours of awesome DOS gaming.

Hezus wrote on 2021-01-10, 18:15:

Awesome case and nice monitor!

Thank you guys!

buckeye wrote on 2021-01-11, 20:38:

Boxed NOS crt's are my weakness, when they're not asking 1000.00 for one that is. Congrats are yer find,
looks great. Maybe show some pics of dos games on it.

Hard to believe, but I`ve got it for less then 10$, but had to drive to another city for it)
I`ll take some more photos of it soon, and games of course

Reply 57 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Played some retro games on this CRT, it has really awesome picture compared to LCD. But have some questions.

In 3DFX accelerated games I have 120 Hz refresh rate, there is such option in Diamond Monster settings. But in software mode games runs in 60 Hz. Is it possible to get 120 Hz in software renderer in windows games?
Also most DOS games runs in 70 Hz, some of them runs in 60. Tried couple 3DFX DOS games — Carmageddon runs in 60 Hz with 3DFX mode, GTA runs in 72 Hz. Is it possible to get higher refresh rates in DOS?

Also in OpenGL mode I have much darker picture then in software mode and brightness setting in games options don`t work. I have to adjust brightness of monitor. Is there a way to raise brightness up by software, not messing with monitor settings?

Reply 58 of 89, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nick4 wrote on 2021-01-12, 05:48:

In 3DFX accelerated games I have 120 Hz refresh rate, there is such option in Diamond Monster settings. But in software mode games runs in 60 Hz. Is it possible to get 120 Hz in software renderer in windows games?

If both the graphics card and the monitor support 120 Hz at the target resolution, it is possible. Don't try this unless you're absolutely certain that they do, or you might damage both devices. EDIT - since you're using a Virge card for 2D, I'm not sure this will work out, but you might be able to get 85 Hz at least.

First, determine which resolution and color depth the game runs at (e.g. StarCraft runs at 640x480 with 256 colors). Then, right-click on the desktop > Properties > Settings and change the desktop resolution to exactly that. Lastly, click Advanced > Adapter and select the highest refresh rate that both your graphics card and monitor support. Now run the game and it should keep that refresh rate.

Also most DOS games runs in 70 Hz, some of them runs in 60. Tried couple 3DFX DOS games — Carmageddon runs in 60 Hz with 3DFX mode, GTA runs in 72 Hz. Is it possible to get higher refresh rates in DOS?

EDIT - just noticed that you're using a Virge for 2D graphics. In that case, disregard what I wrote about VBEHz below and try S3 Refresh instead. You should be able to reach 85 Hz with that, but probably not much higher.

Short answer: it depends. First, you need a VESA VBE 3.0 compatible graphics card. Again, do not attempt to run this on a graphics card which doesn't support VBE 3.0 or you might cause damage. Next, download the VBEHz utility and read the documentation carefully. Then, configure the utility and set the refresh rate to 120 Hz for the resolution which your game uses. In my experience, most games which use 640x480 (e.g. WarCraft 2, Transport Tycoon) can be made to run at refresh rates higher than 60 Hz. Unfortunately, I haven't found a reliable way to make games using lower resolutions like 320x200 (e.g. Doom) run at anything other than 72 Hz. If anyone knows a way, I'd be interested too.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 59 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-01-12, 08:34:

EDIT - just noticed that you're using a Virge for 2D graphics. In that case, disregard what I wrote about VBEHz below and try S3 Refresh instead. You should be able to reach 85 Hz with that, but probably not much higher.

WOW! S3 Refresh is what I need, what a useful utility! Thank you very much! Tried Duke Nukem 3D, Descent 2, Transport Tycoon, Warcraft 2, Redneck Rampage etc. — all runs 85 Hz perfectly.
But I have to run S3 Refresh every time the system reboots, is it possible to keep refresh rate settings? Save changes to autoexec didn`t help...

First, determine which resolution and color depth the game runs at (e.g. StarCraft runs at 640x480 with 256 colors). Then, right-click on the desktop > Properties > Settings and change the desktop resolution to exactly that. Lastly, click Advanced > Adapter and select the highest refresh rate that both your graphics card and monitor support. Now run the game and it should keep that refresh rate.

Did not help( Tried all color modes in all resolutions in Quake 1 and Outlaws.

Also tried to run 3DFX DOS versions of Carma and GTA in Windows and they run just fine in 640x480 120 Hz.