USNF '97

Topic actions

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I have been able to run this game successfully on any Windows up to XP, but not properly in 7. My fixes for Fighters Anthology and ATF Gold somehow doesn't fully affect USNF '97. With or without SingleProcAffinity+Shrinker the mouse is laggy and there's a huge delay in the keyboard response. Enabling or Disabling the existing profile in ACT also has no effect. Has anyone been able to fix this?

Reply 1 of 22, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-06-22, 00:45:

Hello,
I have been able to run this game successfully on any Windows up to XP, but not properly in 7. My fixes for Fighters Anthology and ATF Gold somehow doesn't fully affect USNF '97. With or without SingleProcAffinity+Shrinker the mouse is laggy and there's a huge delay in the keyboard response. Enabling or Disabling the existing profile in ACT also has no effect. Has anyone been able to fix this?

I didnt actually own the game, but did you try a different DX dll, like a different dplay, ddraw, d3dim??

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 5 of 22, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-07-04, 23:25:

haveyou tried DGvoodoo? i use it to run USNF 97 in windows 10 with no problems - DXwnd will probably get it running also,

Thank you, it ran perfectly! Still a bit fast though, but fiddling with dgvoodoo will probably get it right.

Reply 6 of 22, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cool - yes i decided also to go back and look at my settings and i was initially using the timing settings to get the frame rate limited and that worked before but no i have tried a setting which works better i think

firstly i had to set the render mode to SDL in the directx tab, then set the ddraw limit interface to 5 in the directx 2 tab, and also set the v-sync to ON, and in timing i ticked the CPU slow down box.
i set the compat on the USNF.exe to windows7, disable fullscreen optimization, and run as admin.
i also stuck Narzouls DDraw.dll in the game folder too
i also patched USNF to version 1.4 (it comes in a folder on teh USNF CDrom i have - the classics collection release)

i am not sure if all of htis is necessary, its just what i have done and what seems to produce a good result with the game speed being normal

Reply 7 of 22, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-07-05, 16:44:

haveyou tried DGvoodoo? i use it to run USNF 97 in windows 10 with no problems - DXwnd will probably get it running also,

Thank you, it ran perfectly! Still a bit fast though, but fiddling with dgvoodoo will probably get it right.

can you get it slower with Cheat Engine

Reply 8 of 22, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW
SO here is the deal with USNF'97

The Game has Speed problems, also it never had a NoCD patch like its older brother FA, in fact the http://jkpeterson.net/fa/index.php has full resources for it.
You may fix it with DgVoodoo2, Same goes to ATF which is more stable.

but Jane's FA is another beast, it works perfectly with its native resolution, but forcing to higher res with dgvoodoo2 causes black flickering.
They were working with higher res hacking but there were no news about it lately.

Reply 9 of 22, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes FA seems much easier to get working right - i have gotten USNF97 now going nicely with dxwnd - and it seems so far if i just switch on the directx2/vsync and the wait for verticalblank it seems to be working better than using the timing settings - i have though selected cpu slow down in the timing section

Reply 11 of 22, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-07-11, 15:42:

Yes, they were also working on 1024x768 cockpits for FA but still nothing so far.

What about 640x480, and did you try downclocking your CPU speed. I know it sounds useless, but downclocking helps in some games, unless someone actyally makes a program to use downclocked cpu speed in games

Reply 12 of 22, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-07-12, 04:28:
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-07-11, 15:42:

Yes, they were also working on 1024x768 cockpits for FA but still nothing so far.

What about 640x480, and did you try downclocking your CPU speed. I know it sounds useless, but downclocking helps in some games, unless someone actyally makes a program to use downclocked cpu speed in games

Yes it does make a difference. It's just that they all look so much better in 1024x768 but the lack of cockpits make a differece. There might be something at vnfawing forums but it's closed to new registrations and guests can't access most of the forum.

Reply 13 of 22, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-07-05, 16:44:

How did you hook dgVoodoo? I checked "Do not hook update" but it doesn't use dgVoodoo

Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-07-05, 16:57:
cool - yes i decided also to go back and look at my settings and i was initially using the timing settings to get the frame rate […]
Show full quote

cool - yes i decided also to go back and look at my settings and i was initially using the timing settings to get the frame rate limited and that worked before but no i have tried a setting which works better i think

firstly i had to set the render mode to SDL in the directx tab, then set the ddraw limit interface to 5 in the directx 2 tab, and also set the v-sync to ON, and in timing i ticked the CPU slow down box.
i set the compat on the USNF.exe to windows7, disable fullscreen optimization, and run as admin.
i also stuck Narzouls DDraw.dll in the game folder too
i also patched USNF to version 1.4 (it comes in a folder on teh USNF CDrom i have - the classics collection release)

i am not sure if all of htis is necessary, its just what i have done and what seems to produce a good result with the game speed being normal

Everything is fine except the menu is black until the cursor is moved.

Reply 14 of 22, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes i get that menu issue, cant seem to make it go away, not sure what the cause is, perhaps the good folks on the dxwnd forum at sourceforge might have answer

regarding the game speed, yes it willl run a bit fast but there are fixes - in dxwnd, there is a tab that features timing settings - tweaking those will fix things right up.

regarding DGvoodoo - i actually made a mistake there, i though i was using dgvoodoo as welll as dxwnd but i looked in the game folder now and dgvoodoo isnt in there. that being said, i find i can use dgvoodoo while also using dxwnd (for some other games i have done that) sometimes there can be issues, but these mostly come up if i am also using windows compat settings too.

i havent tried it but if you can run the game with just dgvoodoo alone, and if you have an nvidia card, you could tweak the frame rate settings from the Nvidia control panel - this work for me to fix up the game F1 Racing Simulation from Ubisoft

Reply 15 of 22, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2021-02-27, 11:34:
yes i get that menu issue, cant seem to make it go away, not sure what the cause is, perhaps the good folks on the dxwnd forum a […]
Show full quote

yes i get that menu issue, cant seem to make it go away, not sure what the cause is, perhaps the good folks on the dxwnd forum at sourceforge might have answer

regarding the game speed, yes it willl run a bit fast but there are fixes - in dxwnd, there is a tab that features timing settings - tweaking those will fix things right up.

regarding DGvoodoo - i actually made a mistake there, i though i was using dgvoodoo as welll as dxwnd but i looked in the game folder now and dgvoodoo isnt in there. that being said, i find i can use dgvoodoo while also using dxwnd (for some other games i have done that) sometimes there can be issues, but these mostly come up if i am also using windows compat settings too.

i havent tried it but if you can run the game with just dgvoodoo alone, and if you have an nvidia card, you could tweak the frame rate settings from the Nvidia control panel - this work for me to fix up the game F1 Racing Simulation from Ubisoft

Meanwhile I fixed it with DxWnd. DxWnd needs to use the 'DDrawCompat's' 'ddraw.dll' to run it; dgVoodoo2 gives a black screen after I go out of the menu to the aeroplane.

Here is the link: https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … ead/64da23c630/

Reply 16 of 22, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If one doesn't mind the VM route to play this game, I just checked this game out on QEMU and it worked perfectly over WineD3D DirectDraw. Since this is just a DirectDraw 2D game, it does not need WineD3D to play. However, using WineD3D DirectDraw has a few advantages:

• It is accelerated by OpenGL
  • It can automatically scale the 640x480 to any 4:3 QEMU desktop resolution, essentially emulates playing in windowed mode at any 4:3 resolution.
  • It support DirectDraw surface blit FPS limit to play the game at correct speed without slowing down CPU.

The DirectDraw surface blit FPS limit is the same used by Mechwarrior 2 Win95 Pentium edition. This ensures the game gets all the needs for CPU computation at maximum speed while maintaining persistent FPS for the correct game speed at any circumstances. I am not a typical fan of realistic Flight sims, so I can't say if the game was truly at its best on QEMU. Anyway, it is as simple as install, apply last official patch 1.4 and play on QEMU Win98 VM.

Reply 17 of 22, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-02-28, 07:08:
If one doesn't mind the VM route to play this game, I just checked this game out on QEMU and it worked perfectly over WineD3D Di […]
Show full quote

If one doesn't mind the VM route to play this game, I just checked this game out on QEMU and it worked perfectly over WineD3D DirectDraw. Since this is just a DirectDraw 2D game, it does not need WineD3D to play. However, using WineD3D DirectDraw has a few advantages:

• It can automatically scale the 640x480 to any 4:3 QEMU desktop resolution, essentially emulates playing in windowed mode at any 4:3 resolution.
  • It support DirectDraw surface blit FPS limit to play the game at correct speed without slowing down CPU.

The DirectDraw surface blit FPS limit is the same used by Mechwarrior 2 Win95 Pentium edition. This ensures the game gets all the needs for CPU computation at maximum speed while maintaining persistent FPS for the correct game speed at any circumstances. I am not a typical fan of realistic Flight sims, so I can't say if the game was truly at its best on QEMU. Anyway, it is as simple as install, apply last official patch 1.4 and play on QEMU Win98 VM.

thanks this sounds great, but i have no idea waht QEMU. I have virtualbox vm and i am sture though it prob runs fine in that

Reply 18 of 22, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2021-02-28, 08:59:
kjliew wrote on 2021-02-28, 07:08:
If one doesn't mind the VM route to play this game, I just checked this game out on QEMU and it worked perfectly over WineD3D Di […]
Show full quote

thanks this sounds great, but i have no idea waht QEMU. I have virtualbox vm and i am sture though it prob runs fine in that

Qemu can emulate a machine you specify with the specific hardware, software, drivers. This helps in better compatibility with older programs.

Machine emulation can also be as resource intensive as virtualization, but Qemu performs well on a wide range of hardwares.

The dxw file that I created for USNF, was done while I compared both the games, on main machine and the emulation on PCem.

Reply 19 of 22, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for that info - so QEMU is like PCEM then? is it better than pcem? PCEM has proven to be more demanding on my system than any of the VM programs i have used - Virtualbox and VMware namely which all seem to be able to use my systems gfx capabilities, while PCEM i think is just trying to emulate it all itself - my attempt to run FS 2000 on a PCEM system with specs well in teh recommended range for that old game, just have it running unplayably slow. fortunatey i can run fs2000 well in windows 10 now