VOGONS

First post, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear reader,

I have this motherboard (hp vectra Vei8). (The picture i used is not my actual board, this ones a lot dirtier!)
IMG-1052.jpg

I'd like to give it more cooling, kan someone tell if there are more spots for fan hookup's on there than the one indicated left near the cpu (CPU fan).

Rise of the Triad

Reply 1 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Vectra Vei 8 normally uses the PSU fan to draw air over the passive Slot 1 cooler so the single extra 3-pin fan header on the board is usually sufficient

If you need more than that, there are some easy options for running extra fans -

- a 3-pin fan splitter cable (taking care not to overload the header on the board)
- molex adapters (from simple single fan thru adapters to multi fan ones with both 5 & 12V headers)

Reply 2 of 5, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im using a molex adapter with an extra mounted fan in front. It blows air towards the pci section. For cooling the viper, 2x voodoo2 and isa Aztec.
Im not sure whether the fan from the psu blows air in to the pc or needs to blow out? I cleaned the psu but the fan isnt really that strong for getting airflow in or out the pc.
Im worried the cpu (p3 with only a heatsink on it) will overheat eventually...

Shortsaid:
I've placed one silent fan in front towards pci/isa. Just to be sure that section cools nicely 👌
Planning on getting a 3 pin cpu fan on top of the heatsink. (Hotglue on on?)
But how to get better performance/ speed from the psu fan?

Rise of the Triad

Reply 3 of 5, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-07-06, 16:35:
The Vectra Vei 8 normally uses the PSU fan to draw air over the passive Slot 1 cooler so the single extra 3-pin fan header on th […]
Show full quote

The Vectra Vei 8 normally uses the PSU fan to draw air over the passive Slot 1 cooler so the single extra 3-pin fan header on the board is usually sufficient

If you need more than that, there are some easy options for running extra fans -

- a 3-pin fan splitter cable (taking care not to overload the header on the board)
- molex adapters (from simple single fan thru adapters to multi fan ones with both 5 & 12V headers)

The cpu has this heatsink:
https://classiccomputershop.eu/Webwinkel-Prod … SB-133MHz.html#

Is there a way to fit some fan on there?

Thanks!

Rise of the Triad

Reply 4 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to be clear - we are talking about a complete Vectra VEi 8 system rather than just the Sherwood-B motherboard.

With all the slots full (VGA + 2 x Voodoo + sound) your options are rather limited. I might have suggested one of those slot-mounted exhaust fans but you've no slots left. The PSU fan should be exhausting hot air from the case (and drawing it over the passive cpu heatsink in the process to keep it cool) but with a full set of expansion cards, these are all adding to internal air temps. I doubt you can increase airflow (and noise) from the PSU fan as this (and max expansion slot power consumption) is controlled by board circuitry - you'd either have to repalce the PSU fan or the whole PSU (wouldn't advise either option).

It's easy enough it fit a fan to the front of that passive heatsink with a couple of zip ties, though try not to disrupt the existing limited exhaust airflow too much in doing so.

Reply 5 of 5, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-07-06, 22:45:

Just to be clear - we are talking about a complete Vectra VEi 8 system rather than just the Sherwood-B motherboard.

With all the slots full (VGA + 2 x Voodoo + sound) your options are rather limited. I might have suggested one of those slot-mounted exhaust fans but you've no slots left. The PSU fan should be exhausting hot air from the case (and drawing it over the passive cpu heatsink in the process to keep it cool) but with a full set of expansion cards, these are all adding to internal air temps. I doubt you can increase airflow (and noise) from the PSU fan as this (and max expansion slot power consumption) is controlled by board circuitry - you'd either have to repalce the PSU fan or the whole PSU (wouldn't advise either option).

It's easy enough it fit a fan to the front of that passive heatsink with a couple of zip ties, though try not to disrupt the existing limited exhaust airflow too much in doing so.

Yes, I was looking for some extra points on where to fit fan(s) instead of only the CPU fan pin input, eventually for cooling the total system.
Ill mount the extra fan on the cpu heatsink. One quiet molex fan is already blowing from front towards the back, this makes a big deifference in temperature.
My concern is when only let the psu fan suck air. I think it's not sufficient enough. I had an slot-mounted fan 😀 but gave it up for an extra voodoo2...... SLI.
These business machines aren't meant for gaming.
Thanks for your input!

Rise of the Triad