Retro Hardware Collecting rants

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-07-10, 13:38:

well seeing as how paypals agreement with ebay runs out this year afaik there's going to be a whole lot less of auctions offering paypal in the future 😒

I'd say currently it's about half-half paypal vs bank transfer here (idk if it's different in other countries)

is not a red flag automatically if the seller has recent good ratings for sales, but seeing as how this seller simply did not communicate at all apart from sending me bank details and opening a case for unpaid auctions and asked a lot for shipping for each item without combining them and had the same thing listed twice, I did not want to risk it even if the actual amount isn't that much.

Ebay looks to be switching to a different primary payment processor, Adyen. Personally, that is not an issue for me as long as I can still end up paying with a credit card in the end . I have been using Ebay since 2001 and I have never payed with a bank transfer. I buy items from all over, but mostly from North America (where I am located).

Reply 421 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote on 2020-07-10, 14:03:
Yeah, If paypal ever goes away for ebay, I'd probably stop using ebay by at least 90%. It's why I don't buy anything on Aliexpre […]
Show full quote

Yeah, If paypal ever goes away for ebay, I'd probably stop using ebay by at least 90%. It's why I don't buy anything on Aliexpress, don't need the stress in my life.

I'm sure sellers will cry bloody murder when there are no customers left on the platform, despite spending the last 10 years crying bloody murder about being forced into paypal

Here, Paypal is nearly universal. I only use cash for pickups, otherwise paypal.

Edit: Australia here. I'm in Perth, its about 5 weeks postage at least from overseas, a couple of weeks from items posted over east.

Paypal will still be an option for sellers, but the backend processor will be Adyen .

See https://www.vox.com/2018/1/31/16957212/ebay-a … ments-agreement .

Reply 422 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-07-10, 14:04:

I have been using Ebay since 2001 and I have never payed with a bank transfer. I buy items from all over, but mostly from North America (where I am located).

yeah I think bank transfer is a lot more common in the EU, I've been on ebay since 1999, back then bank transfer was pretty much the norm iirc.
if I wasn't ready to pay with bank transfer, I'd have a lot less special hardware now x3 ...including some very expensive things.

paypal only became more common later... and now recently has become less common again, I think there was a period where ebay had actually forced sellers to offer paypal?

I don't like paying with credit card, that's why I use paypal in the first place even though I absolutely detest that company :p
but I'd rather just them have my credit card details and use it everywhere than spread it around multiple services.

but yeah... I fear the amount of fraud and scams on ebay will be on the rise.

I'd be very hesitant to enter my credit card details anywhere on ebay's site seeing as how utterly bad they are with webdesign and their flaky security history.

ebay was the only meaningful site so far that actually leaked my password so that I had to change it.

Reply 423 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-07-10, 14:17:
yeah I think bank transfer is a lot more common in the EU, I've been on ebay since 1999, back then bank transfer was pretty much […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-07-10, 14:04:

I have been using Ebay since 2001 and I have never payed with a bank transfer. I buy items from all over, but mostly from North America (where I am located).

yeah I think bank transfer is a lot more common in the EU, I've been on ebay since 1999, back then bank transfer was pretty much the norm iirc.
if I wasn't ready to pay with bank transfer, I'd have a lot less special hardware now x3 ...including some very expensive things.

paypal only became more common later... and now recently has become less common again, I think there was a period where ebay had actually forced sellers to offer paypal?

I don't like paying with credit card, that's why I use paypal in the first place even though I absolutely detest that company :p
but I'd rather just them have my credit card details and use it everywhere than spread it around multiple services.

but yeah... I fear the amount of fraud and scams on ebay will be on the rise.

I'd be very hesitant to enter my credit card details anywhere on ebay's site seeing as how utterly bad they are with webdesign and their flaky security history.

ebay was the only meaningful site so far that actually leaked my password so that I had to change it.

It's not necessarily all gloom and doom . Adyen will be the one processing the payment so, presumably, they will be the ones with the credit card info, not Ebay . Whether Adyen will be more liked than Paypal is another question .

Reply 424 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my reasoning still stands though, I'd like to keep my credit card info with as few companies as possible.

and from what I read it sounds more like you'd select "pay by credit card" instead of paypal and then enter your info and it gets processed through adyen, that is how I understood it at least.

paypal is more than just a payment processor.

and seeing how many sellers are already not offering paypal anymore, I don't see a lot of them using it as an option in the future, and I can't really fault them either seeing as how much buyer fraud is going on through paypal.
I know I definitely wouldn't offer paypal would I be selling something.

Reply 425 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been using paypal as a seller for years and haven't really had an issue with scammy buyers.

That being said, if eBay starts using a new payment processor which doesn't take a huge fee from the seller like Paypal does, then I am all for it unless buyer customer service goes down the tubes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 427 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-07-10, 18:51:

isn't it more like ebay that takes a huge fee from the seller... last time I sold something it was something ridiculous like 10+%?

Depends on what you are selling and if you have an eBay store or not... and what level of eBay store you have.

There is also a cap on what they charge.

For computer stuff with an eBay store it is like 6-8%.

Then Paypal takes another 5% or so including charging their dumb fee on shipping costs even if the seller charges less or the exact amount it costs them to ship.

Oh yeah... they charge the fee on the tax they collect from the buyer as well.... GRRRRRR.

Take those dumb charges away and I could sell things fir a bit less.

Shipping costs go up and I have to charge more to make up for the extra shipping cost + the extra fee for the increased shipping price.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 428 of 934, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember several years back, I bought an Intel 845 MATX board from some guy on ebay, I got the board and it wouldn't post no matter what. I asked the seller for a refund, seller didn't want to despite the seller allowing 30 day returns, tried to claim the board required a drive attached with ubuntu for some reason for it to post, After 2 hours of back and forth dm'ing, he finally accepted a return.

I hate when people come up with bs when they sell something that they know is dead or broken and claim it works in the listing.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 429 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-07-10, 11:42:

didn't get a reply... so I wrote them again, and again... no reply... now after a few days they opened a case for unpaid items...

🤣, seller sent me a message again if I want the item now or not and that they still didn't get a payment.

wrote back that sure I'd want it, but if it isn't understandable that I'm reluctant to pay a person via bank transfer that does not reply to anything.

...obviously didn't get a reply... again.

Reply 430 of 934, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, you did bid on it, which means you committed to buy it. Didn't the seller specify in advance the accepted payment method? If you bid on something and win, or make an offer, which is accepted - you are obligated to pay. If you don't pay - the seller can legimiately open an "unpaid" case against you. They cannot leave negative feedback, but unpaid cases count against you as a buyer, just like cancellations (unless by buyer's request) count against sellers. You can take your pick which one you are willing to risk.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 431 of 934, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This happened today:
I bought 4 ISA cards in the morning and wrote the seller how I wanted them shipped.
6 hours later I get a response: "What 4 cards are you talking about?"
The mail title included my name, the auction number and "4x ISA cards". The seller also directly wrote from the auction page so he had to see the items in question.

Sounds promising... /s
There are times when I don't want to deal with blockheads but only realize it after I made the purchase.

Reply 432 of 934, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-07-16, 12:51:

Well, you did bid on it, which means you committed to buy it. Didn't the seller specify in advance the accepted payment method? If you bid on something and win, or make an offer, which is accepted - you are obligated to pay. If you don't pay - the seller can legimiately open an "unpaid" case against you. They cannot leave negative feedback, but unpaid cases count against you as a buyer, just like cancellations (unless by buyer's request) count against sellers. You can take your pick which one you are willing to risk.

Yes, but when you are sending your money into a virtual black hole where items may or may not pop back out, it is usually best if the seller makes a minor effort to appear genuine and interested in helping their customer.

You generally would feel much more comfortable sending money off to a seller that promptly answers questions and appears to actually be there, then someone who makes absolutely NO effort what so ever.

Reply 433 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2020-07-16, 12:51:

please read my original post again... the seller listed the same item twice! (an item you can't have multiples of, as it was a specific lot of items) with the same pictures, and it got sold twice!

I only noticed that _after_ I bought it, which is the mistake on my part, so I asked the seller for clarification and never got a reply to any of my messages.
I also bought another item from the same seller, but since I did not get a reply whatsoever I did not pay for that either as the seller can't be trusted imho.

I also contacted ebay about this and they agreed with me.

interestingly enough the other buyer of the duplicate item has already left negative feedback along the lines of "no contact possible"
so they were clearly dealing with the same issue.
guess I'll just do the same now.

no way I'm sending them money without any possibility of recourse.

Last edited by imi on 2020-07-16, 13:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 434 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2020-07-16, 13:04:
This happened today: I bought 4 ISA cards in the morning and wrote the seller how I wanted them shipped. 6 hours later I get a r […]
Show full quote

This happened today:
I bought 4 ISA cards in the morning and wrote the seller how I wanted them shipped.
6 hours later I get a response: "What 4 cards are you talking about?"
The mail title included my name, the auction number and "4x ISA cards". The seller also directly wrote from the auction page so he had to see the items in question.

Sounds promising... /s
There are times when I don't want to deal with blockheads but only realize it after I made the purchase.

Good luck with that. I hope that he was just having a "brain fart" moment, was seriously lacking caffeine or something else like that .

Reply 435 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣 that reminds me of buying a case a while ago and the seller sent me a message "did you really just buy this article? if so where should I ship it?"

I had already paid by paypal and sent the address through ebay...

so I was like "uh... yeah?... here's the address again"

actually arrived a few days later ^^

Reply 436 of 934, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-07-16, 13:15:

Good luck with that. I hope that he was just having a "brain fart" moment, was seriously lacking caffeine or something else like that .

This is typically a problem with resellers. They sell tons of items and their inventory changes so often that they don't know what they are selling.
They often have multiple jobs so their mind is elsewhere. We'll see.

Reply 437 of 934, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote on 2020-07-16, 13:08:

You generally would feel much more comfortable sending money off to a seller that promptly answers questions and appears to actually be there, then someone who makes absolutely NO effort what so ever.

I completely agree, but this is something that is generally better to check before bidding/buying. I have had multiple cases when I messaged sellers about items I had interest in, and when I received unsatisfactory replies (or none at all), I simply passed.

And I recall at least one situation when I wanted to get a rather rare item, and the seller only accepted bank transfers. I messaged them, asked if they would do Paypal; they agreed, provided I pay the extra fees. I said no problem, we agreed on the total price, I received an invoice, paid with Paypal, and all was good. Again, when in doubt - always better to close the details before agreeing to the transaction, rather than ask for exceptions after the fact.

imi wrote on 2020-07-16, 13:10:
please read my original post again... the seller listed the same item twice! (an item you can't have multiples of, as it was a s […]
Show full quote

please read my original post again... the seller listed the same item twice! (an item you can't have multiples of, as it was a specific lot of items) with the same pictures, and it got sold twice!
I only noticed that _after_ I bought it, which is the mistake on my part, so I asked the seller for clarification and never got a reply to any of my messages.
I also bought another item from the same seller, but since I did not get a reply whatsoever I did not pay for that either as the seller can't be trusted imho.
I also contacted ebay about this and they agreed with me.
interestingly enough the other buyer of the duplicate item has already left negative feedback along the lines of "no contact possible"
so they were clearly dealing with the same issue.
guess I'll just do the same now.
no way I'm sending them money without any possibility of recourse.

Oh, I am not disagreeing with you that it all looks very shady, and I wouldn't send money in such a situation either. But since you did buy it, and the seller does seem to communicate with you, you have to, at least temporarily, take the "unpaid item" flag. I believe that if eBay concludes that the seller is fraudulent, they will take any such flags off your record. However, if the seller, in principle, is willing to ship the item for the amount you paid and the advertised shipping costs, then you don't really have a case, no matter how unreasonable the shipping costs seem to you - since all information was fully disclosed up front.

With that said, eBay buyer protection should apply to bank transfers as well, if that is an official and approved payment method of eBay. My understanding is that some local eBay sites, e.g., in Europe, such as eBay.de accept it (and protect it), but others don't.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 438 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nope, there is no buyer protection with regular bank transfer unfortunately.

also I'd hardly call that "communicating" ^^
yes, they sent me a message, completely unrelated to all the messages I have sent, and not even related to the article in question but the other one.

and like I said, the other buyer of the questionable duplicate auction already left negative feedback due to impossible communication.
I did that too and I'm gonna leave it at that.

I don't mind having the "unpaid" case open, they can cancel it for all I care, if they leave me negative feedback (if that is possible?) I'm simply going to report it back to ebay since they already told me I'm in the right here.

Reply 439 of 934, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-07-16, 16:17:

nope, there is no buyer protection with regular bank transfer unfortunately.

I'm with you on this one, sometimes you have to go with your gut feelings. This transaction had red flags all over it so it was wise to cancel & report.