VOGONS

First post, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Whiplash working in the standard software mode but it won't run using the 3dfx patch. I get a black screen and the computer is frozen.

Any tricks getting old dos games to work with these 3dfx / glide patches? Any special drivers that are needed?

In the Device Manager I do show "Voodoo Graphics 3D Accelerator" under Sound, Video, and game controllers. It's a Diamond 3D card.

This is what the card looks like:

Running Windows 98 SE, 486 DX4-100 system, 256KB L2, 80 MB ram.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    850.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 1 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chublord wrote on 2020-07-10, 20:04:
I have Whiplash working in the standard software mode but it won't run using the 3dfx patch. I get a black screen and the comput […]
Show full quote

I have Whiplash working in the standard software mode but it won't run using the 3dfx patch. I get a black screen and the computer is frozen.

Any tricks getting old dos games to work with these 3dfx / glide patches? Any special drivers that are needed?

In the Device Manager I do show "Voodoo Graphics 3D Accelerator" under Sound, Video, and game controllers. It's a Diamond 3D card.

Are you using stock Voodoo reference drivers, the Diamond drivers or something else ?

EDIT: Have you tried other 3D accelerated software ?

Reply 3 of 11, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where do I put the .ovl file? Same directory as the game .exe? It's a native dos executable.

I just tried the Monster 3D drivers and same problem. The 3d test utility that comes with the Monster driver worked.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 4 of 11, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chublord wrote on 2020-07-10, 23:14:

Where do I put the .ovl file? Same directory as the game .exe? It's a native dos executable.

I just tried the Monster 3D drivers and same problem. The 3d test utility that comes with the Monster driver worked.

Just in the same directory as the game exe, Although reading your post again The game does have bug that causes lockups in high res mode, there should be patches to fix this though.
Patches were included in some of the CD releases, that could be your problem rather than the 3dfx drivers.

Reply 5 of 11, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, thanks for the tip. Can you clarify the bug you are referring to? Is it only in Glide mode or also in software mode?

Reply 6 of 11, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: I was able to run GLQuake today and got the 3dfx logo and all that. So must be something specific to Whiplash.

Reply 7 of 11, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chublord wrote on 2020-07-11, 16:27:

Okay, thanks for the tip. Can you clarify the bug you are referring to? Is it only in Glide mode or also in software mode?

I'd have to dig out the readme again, it's related to an intro video that plays in a high res mode that causes a lockup, there's two patches to address it, if i can find and test I'll post back, it's 3am here now and I'm trying to fix a bug with DOOM Eternal(stuck at 60FPS no matter what i set, annoying!) so will probably be some time tomorrow before i get round to it.

Reply 8 of 11, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Exciting news! I got it to work, although it's intermittent for some reason (sometimes it will load and sometimes not). But FPS is at least double compared to software render, even at the SVGA resolution.

It looks like it needs to be run with a parameter for resolution (for example, 3dwhip.exe /fx480)

Reply 9 of 11, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the readme:

This patch will fix the lock up that has occured when specific older video
drivers were used. This patch disables the Hi-res mode that causes this
lock up.

If the Wpatch1 file does not work, try the Wpatch2 file. Wpatch2 disables
the high-res Interplay logo that has been identified to cause problems with
Certain video cards.

Enjoy...

Awesome you got it working so probably not this problem

Patch attached if you want to try it out. I've not tried personally but they're from my whiplash CD

Attachments

• Filename
    whipatch.zip
    File size
    470.06 KiB
    Downloads
    143 downloads
    File comment
    Whiplash Lockup patch
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 11, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still working on this. Thanks for the patch -- I assume this would only be for the software renderer (not 3dfx)?

Seems like the game works consistently when I run it from Windows. Often it will not load when I restart to command prompt. What gives? The game runs much better when rebooting into DOS mode without Windows in the background.

Reply 11 of 11, by Mog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chublord wrote on 2020-07-10, 20:04:
I have Whiplash working in the standard software mode but it won't run using the 3dfx patch. I get a black screen and the comput […]
Show full quote

This issue has been bugging me for months and today I finally found my solution for it. I've been trying to run this on a voodoo2 with a C3 Nehemiah. I've been having the Magenta issue with hires mode or the blank screen /freeze with the 3DFX patches. Using Setmul to reduce the CPU clock as low as possible, was all I needed to get the voodoo executables to work (this is while using batch env fixes for Voodoo2). The only problem I have now is some minor screen alignment issues 😀