VOGONS

First post, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up this CT6960 Creative GeForce 256 and was really excited to get it since it has a DVI port. Unfortunately it works perfectly with VGA, but not DVI. I tried the DVI port on two different monitors: a new LG and an old Dell 1907FP. The screen just stays black while the system posts and starts booting to windows. I can't see anything visibly wrong with the card like a missing component or cut trace. Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas on what to check first?

Attachments

• IMG_9915.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_9915.jpg
    File size
    1.17 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_9914.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_9914.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_9913.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_9913.jpg
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 13, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Elsa GF256 SDR with the same SI DVI chip that won't output DVI either.
It has one or more cracked solder joints underneath the GPU from overheating after fan failure causing random VRAM errors so I always thought this was the issue.
Maybe DVI has to be enabled in video BIOS or driver first?
Maybe the card's video BIOS has been flashed and the new BIOS does not support DVI?

Following this thread with great interest!

Reply 5 of 13, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has been documented in other threads that the DVI standard was pretty much new tech and Nvidia didn't do a good job making it impossible for some monitors to get a picture. Same persists with the DVI on the GF2.

Reply 6 of 13, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens when you get to Windows? Does it work then? (I.e., is it only black while posting and booting?) I have an ATI Radeon 8500 that does the same thing. Early DVI, 1080p/4K monitors, HDMI switching and matrix in between... it can't hang. Someone here told me it has to do with the card and EDID setting up an incompatible mode until the driver loads and does something more sensible. (Here it is: Re: Radeon & DVI switching)

Reply 7 of 13, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a second CT6960 with DVI port that did the same thing and finally got around to playing with this some more as a result. As SirNickity suggested, the DVI port works fine in Windows. I booted to Windows XP and installed the official nVidia drivers (45.23). The nvidia driver controls have an option to toggle between analog and digital display output. Once I switched to digital, I got output on the DVI port! It still doesn't display anything during POST or the XP boot screen, but it works once you get to the XP Welcome screen. This must have been really annoying in the era of LCD monitors that only had a DVI port.

Reply 12 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to this ftp://ftp.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/unix/asus-v … ia/BkNVBIOS.pdf
BIOS versions prior to 2.10.04.02.00 do not initialize the DVI TMDS at boot .
"Add code during bootup to initialize SI 154/164 via I2C port when booting
to DFP."