VOGONS

Broken SCC-1?

Topic actions

First post, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I have a Roland SCC-1 that sounds strange. The Demo Songs should sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=365XkGuTod4

My SCC-1 on the other hand sounds like this: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtxQRLkK3W0N5yRfz_rigy0pR5zn?e=XrhSFC

Anyone know what problem this is?

Akumajo Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 2 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like some of the voices aren't being played, or they're being cut off?
I'm not familiar with the SCC-1 beyond being aware that it's an SC-55 + MPU401 on the same card.

It looks like it's got 4 ROM modules, maybe one of those has some trouble, or there's a damaged trace / bad solder joint on there? It might be useful to post pictures of the card itself too.

Reply 4 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specifications of the system you are using it in?

What power supply are you using? Have you tried a different, verified properly working power supply?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 13, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using a Cooler Master V550. I haven't tried another one though. I have tried the card in different ports on two entirely different motherboards though, one Pentium 200MMX and one 486DX2 66 computer, but both with the same power-supply.

Akumajo Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 6 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried with a known properly working power supply yet?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-22, 18:44:

Need -5V, if you using modern ATX, this is missing -5V. Check your power supply label.

Cheers,

Does it? I thought that may be the case but I couldn't find any reference to the SCC-1 needing -5V... just the LAPC-I. If so, it needs to be added to the list in the post below.
ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

Now I need to pull my SCC-1 out of the computer it is in and test it in a computer that doesn't have -5v.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no it doesn't, pin B5 is not present on the edge connector

Ra2HoCql.png
(photo stolen from Batyra's site... 😀 )

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong sounds indicate problem with the sound chip (the biggest one on the board), or stuff connected to it. I would look closely at sample ROMs, the photos shown of the top of the board don't seem to show any issues but there might be a damaged trace on other side of the board...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜