VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 380 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Yeah unfortunately people seem to like the bigger ones. We now have what some call “Phablets”, phones with tablet sizes. The Pro and Max versions aren’t for me; I don’t even like the extra camera lenses, I have no use for them since I do not have the habit of taking photos (my camera roll has just memes and screenshots or wallpapers), so... I have my eyes set on the XR model or even the SE 2 model. More like the SE 2 because it has the same CPU as iPhone 11. If the rumours about the iPhone 12 sizes are true, I might just wait for them to see and make a proper comparison between the smallest iPhones available with newest internals possible, of course being the ones I can pay for. And then make a decision.

Not that I need to buy a new one, my iPhone X is still going strong. Battery lasts for the entire day just fine. I just need a new iPad Pro for more processing power so I can make better use of UTM. Although I have a 2017 second generation iPad Pro 12.9 inch, I am still impressed with how the battery holds just fine for so long, and the iPad does not get hot using UTM like my iPhone does when I am just going through Instagram posts...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 381 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a decent SE sized phone on the market? I loved my Galaxy Alpha (similar size and form factor) and the 7S I am currently using is a bit too big for my hands (I'm a small guy).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 382 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-28, 09:06:

Is there a decent SE sized phone on the market? I loved my Galaxy Alpha (similar size and form factor) and the 7S I am currently using is a bit too big for my hands (I'm a small guy).

The new SE isn't too big, and there seems to be a next gen iPhone of that size in the works.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 383 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2020-07-28, 13:45:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-28, 09:06:

The new SE isn't too big, and there seems to be a next gen iPhone of that size in the works.

iPhone 11 x iPhone SE 2 x iPhone X: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?device1 … device3=iphoneX
iPhone 11 x iPhone SE2 x iPhone XR: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?device1 … evice3=iphoneXR

The upcoming iPhone 12 better be smaller than any of these... otherwise I'm more inclined to get the SE 2.

Edit: Including the rumoured details about the iPhone 12: https://appleinsider.com/inside/iphone-12

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 384 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-28, 23:38:
iPhone 11 x iPhone SE 2 x iPhone X: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?device1 … device3=iphoneX iPhone 11 x iPhone SE2 x iPh […]
Show full quote

iPhone 11 x iPhone SE 2 x iPhone X: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?device1 … device3=iphoneX
iPhone 11 x iPhone SE2 x iPhone XR: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?device1 … evice3=iphoneXR

The upcoming iPhone 12 better be smaller than any of these... otherwise I'm more inclined to get the SE 2.

Edit: Including the rumoured details about the iPhone 12: https://appleinsider.com/inside/iphone-12

I unironically wish I could use smaller phones comfortably. The standard 11 is the perfect size for my huge hands.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 385 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meanwhile, Intel is restructuring their leadership team following their announcement of 7nm delays; one chief executive is out. And AMD had an increase of 26% in revenue compared to the same period last year. Put it all together with Apple going for ARM...

Intel is pretty much screwed these days.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 387 of 547, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-29, 05:59:

I'm really not interested in staying in the Apple ecosystem anymore so I was looking for non-Apple suggestions to be honest.

What else ? Winblows ?
Microsoft Ubuntu ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 388 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2020-07-29, 06:34:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-29, 05:59:

I'm really not interested in staying in the Apple ecosystem anymore so I was looking for non-Apple suggestions to be honest.

What else ? Winblows ?
Microsoft Ubuntu ?

This was about phones actually but as far as OSs go I would take Windows 10 over MacOS as a lesser evil any day (although I am mostly a LinuxMint user).

Reply 389 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have nothing against linux, in fact I tend to like a bit how things are done in distros like Ubuntu or ElementaryOS. Mint, Manjaro, to name a few more, are interesting too. Some offer an option to have a desktop similar to macOS or Windows so people coming from these OS can adapt and I actually like this as a selling point for these distros.

Still, they don’t offer enough for me to replace macOS. IF anything, they will never replace macOS for me, but it’s nice to know that they can be a backup or a second option. And the reason for that is Apple’s ecosystem; You see it as a “you are trapped in their walled garden”, but I see it more like “I’m safe in their walled garden”. I like iCloud, I like their handoff and continuity features, I actually like things that do work for me as intended, period.

Regarding Winblows, I’ve said that before, but I like previous, early Windows incarnations (3.x and 9x) but from XP onwards it’s pretty much S**T for me, a terrible experience, I used to (and I still do) get mad at Winblows XP, Vista, 10, when things aren’t what I want it to be or need to be. I just wish it was more like Windows 98 or even Windows 3.11. I had to use the “inexperience patcher” on XP to make it look more like 98 and a little bit less unbearable for me.

That said, I have nothing against Windows at all, just against more recent versions from XP onwards when I feel that they “broke” it. Well, if it’s not broken, then why the f**k they tried to fix? Now they actually have something to fix with their damned code legacy on Windows 10, different Start Menu layout and confusing UI language between legacy and modern apps (Settings vs Control Panel for example)... funny.

Ironically, if you pay some attention to Windows 3.11 Program Manager groups, it’s pretty much like iOS groups of apps or the future iOS 14 app library tab. Win 3.x was ahead of its time in early 90s. Windows 98 brought some more improvements and a sleek UI language. (And this actually is a subjective opinion, debatable to a certain degree, but at the end of the day it is just a personal taste).

Although Windows 10 does keep some of the same concepts, they completely messed it up with the terrible start menu tiles and app lists type, not to mention how terrible it is the mix of legacy and modern apps UI language. It’s a mess. And add to that the amount of telemetry and user data collection. No, I will definitely not use Windows 10 as my daily driver OS. I only have a Windows 10 VM because of only one modern game; I tried as much as I could to kill all the telemetry and data collection in it, actually succeeded in it, and also removed a lot of bloatware, reduced the OS size, and tried to change the UI (as much as I could) to look a lot more like Windows 98 with the default green background. Had a lot of work to do that, and I am not gonna lie, I hated every minute of it. I’d rather have something that worked right out of the box, and macOS does deliver it for me. Not only that, macOS features allow me to work in a way I like, faster, with more flow than I’d have on WIndows. This is also the reason why I hate Android; you actually have to customize Android to make it work for you, it isnt an “out of the box” experience.

But I will concede and say that I do understand your and the opinion of users from other operating systems. You see your favorite operating system the same way I see my choice. I guess it’s down to how each user interacts with it and how their minds work and see the things in an OS. Everyone should pick what they are comfortable with, and I am not against that. I just see no point in me working on Windows 10 instead of macOS when I know that I don’t like it or have some real trouble doing that, it just doesnt work for me. Your opinion will probably be the same, just the opposite way. Might actually work for you or someone else; and that’s perfectly acceptable. It’s good that we have a lot of choice in terms of operating systems. Like my avatar says... “Choose wisely.” (It’s a pun intended from an Indiana Jones movie).

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 390 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-07-29, 07:21:

You see it as a “you are trapped in their walled garden”, but I see it more like “I’m safe in their walled garden”.

Stockholm syndrome at its best I'm afraid.

Reply 391 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-29, 07:23:

You see it as a “you are trapped in their walled garden”, but I see it more like “I’m safe in their walled garden”.

Stockholm syndrome at its best I'm afraid.

Funny. I get it.

But what I was actually saying is that their walled garden does work as intended for me daily. And this is all that matters for me. “If it works for you, good.”

With linux my experience has been that to get an app installed, a service or something like that you have to run a bunch of apt-get commands on terminal to have it installed. I am not unfamiliar with them, but I am not comfortable either. Come on, from an UI/UX experience point of view, Its terrible.

If you admit that theres nothing wrong with wanting an out of the box experience with Apples ecosystem, I’ll concede to you that theres nothing wrong with linux if it does work as intended for you if you customize to your liking. Deal?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 392 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many Linux distros have repos and UI tools for those repos that make package tools like apt and rpm more or less unnecessary. The problem is that there are a million distros and almost as many repo UIs, so when anyone makes a tutorial for something on Linux they (rightly) go with common tools like apt and rpm, so the console commandline is referenced.

Which is completely fine with me and in many ways very effective even if it is particularly daunting to many (maybe most) users. To be honest, I don't know why there aren't more Windows tutorials that use the PowerShell.

As for Mac, since there is only the Apple's own walled garden market to choose from there is only one tool to learn or reference. That is indeed a simplification in terms of hiding the workings of the OS under the UI hood, but of course that means everyone is riding the same boring Nissan Leaf.

Reply 393 of 547, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't forget that you could also download a disk image, open it and drag-and-drop the application to an alias of your apps folder. You sometimes need to right-click the app one time to open it and you are not hindered by Apples walled garden (until Apple has another evil plan and kills off this loop-hole in the next OS version…). If you learn the trick, it is quite easy and better then all those Windows-inspired "wizards" that contribute to the blind clicking habit of many Windows users that gets them into trouble.

Reply 394 of 547, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding Winblows, I’ve said that before, but I like previous, early Windows incarnations (3.x and 9x) but from XP onwards it’s pretty much S**T for me, a terrible experience, I used to (and I still do) get mad at Winblows XP, Vista, 10, when things aren’t what I want it to be or need to be. I just wish it was more like Windows 98 or even Windows 3.11. I had to use the “inexperience patcher” on XP to make it look more like 98 and a little bit less unbearable for me.

I hope you at least realize that you are part of a small minority (even on VOGONS), and probably a trivial minority when it comes to the wide world. Using monikers like "Winblows" also does not make your fringe opinion any funnier or more relevant.

I just see no point in me working on Windows 10 instead of macOS when I know that I don’t like it or have some real trouble doing that, it just doesnt work for me. Your opinion will probably be the same, just the opposite way. Might actually work for you or someone else; and that’s perfectly acceptable. It’s good that we have a lot of choice in terms of operating systems.

That much is, of course, true.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 395 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really can't understand why people keep referring to macOS as a "walled garden" — you are not required to get your software from the Mac App Store, you can download/install anything you want, you can write and run your own applications/console programs/scripts using free tools available from Apple and others, there are several third party packet managers for all the Unix geeks out there, you can disable the Gatekeeper and SIP if you find them annoying, and the OS kernel is actually open source.

Is this because people keep confusing macOS and iOS?

Reply 396 of 547, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-07-29, 12:09:

I really can't understand why people keep referring to macOS as a "walled garden" — you are not required to get your software from the Mac App Store, you can download/install anything you want, you can write and run your own applications/console programs/scripts using free tools available from Apple and others, there are several third party packet managers for all the Unix geeks out there, you can disable the Gatekeeper and SIP if you find them annoying, and the OS kernel is actually open source.

Is this because people keep confusing macOS and iOS?

I think that perhaps the specific term "walled garden" is something that was borrowed (somewhat incorrectly) from the iOS world; however, macOS customizability was never held in very high regard compared to Windows/Linux (e.g., diagrams such as this one have existed before iOS). Whether this reputation is deserved or not - I will leave to someone more experienced in macOS to decide.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 397 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-07-29, 12:18:

I think that perhaps the specific term "walled garden" is something that was borrowed (somewhat incorrectly) from the iOS world; however, macOS customizability was never held in very high regard compared to Windows/Linux (e.g., diagrams such as this one have existed before iOS). Whether this reputation is deserved or not - I will leave to someone more experienced in macOS to decide.

I guess it depends on what kinds of customizability we're talking about. macOS doesn't support silly-looking UI themes, for example. On the other hand, it has some extremely useful features that I sorely miss in Windows, such as very fine-grained control over custom keyboard shortcuts (which could be system-wide or per application) or built-in GUI scripting.

Reply 398 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, walled garden is not correct in regard to macOS. They are making it more secure but you can turn all that off...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 399 of 547, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-29, 08:37:

To be honest, I don't know why there aren't more Windows tutorials that use the PowerShell.

Probably because PowerShell is freaking horrible as a general-purpose CLI environment. If most Windows tutorials were written for PS, they'd be 10 times as long just for the sheer unwieldiness of constructing PS command lines, and every task would probably perform ten times slower too for that matter.

I'm sure it's good for *something*, or they wouldn't have made it, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you what that is. No idea if the concept is at fault ("everything is an object"), or just the implementation (making correct/optimal usage too non-obvious). All I know is, whenever I've tried using PS for anything more than a trivial task, I ended up tossing it and going for a different solution. Typically the latter has always proved much faster and easier.

Mind you, I'm used to Windows and prefer it as an OS, and I've never been afraid of CLIs or of learning new languages and environments. Even so, I'll take bash any day over TurtleShell. And cmd.exe works just as well given the right toolset (Swiss File Knife, AutoHotkey etc).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]