VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 46, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everybody!

Some people at tombraiderforums reported TR1 crashing with dgvoodoo and Windows XP during saving the game. We investigated it further and noticed, that this usually happens on machines with dual core or hyperthreading processors. Maybe this is the same case as with Glidos?

We haven't found 100% working solution yet, but few people reported that setting affinity of ntvdm.exe process on CPU 0 helps and they had no more crashes.

Here is one of our discussions:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=68831

Reply 41 of 46, by cluelessnewbie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the suggestions. I forgot to say that I'm using vdmsound. Is there another way? The crashing happened in either Direct3D or OpenGL mode. I have an AMD X2 so I tried Zebius' suggestion and it actually seemed to work. I saved at least 20 times without a crash. Just one problem... The game goes haywire when I try switching out of it. The screen goes blank and more often than not the controls go completely unresponsive. It's actually just as annoying as the original problem.

Reply 42 of 46, by cluelessnewbie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to keep bumping this thread. Just one final update. I think I've figured out how to switch out to the task manager and get back to the game reliably. I can't explain it, but setting the affinity of ntdvm.exe to CPU 0 really does seem to solve the problem for me.

Reply 44 of 46, by Darth Slaughter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, the black screen is not so bad at all...

you must try pressing that windows key in the keyboard, alt-tabing, alt-enter, and then, eventualy, you will get back to the game.

It's better to CTRL-ALT-DEL while in game main menu, or;

while in the main menu, windows/start button, to go to desk top, then, go to task manager. then, go back to the game.

After some trials, you will eventually find your own way arround the black screen.

I remember dicoveryng this dual core glitch seome time ago in this thread:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.ph … t=31211&page=14

yes... Dslau is me!

Darth Slaughter - sith lord

Reply 45 of 46, by demione

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the tip! i'm so glad we all pulled together and found some resolution here to this matter -- i'm about to go try it out now.

one thing though -- is there some sort of batch file i can write that will automatically set ntvdm's affinity property to 0 when glidos starts?