Common searches

Coil whine - fact or myth?

Topic actions

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been slowly putting together some parts for my first modern system and now looking over the gpu's available.
Noticed that a lot of the reviews for the RTX Geforces and the new Radeons the subject of coil whine keeps coming up.
I'm hearing impaired so maybe it's all a moot point but has anyone dealt with this issue or is it an over reaction?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 20, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it has never been a myth, and it's still an issue :p

it all depends on how loud your surroundings are and how much your case lets out and of course on the particular card and/or PSU.

Reply 2 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.. still happens but usually only at very high framerates from what I have seen.... such as running an older version of 3dMark on a new card where the framerates go absurdly high.

I currently have an EVGA RTX2080 (RMA replacement for 1080Ti I bought for cheap that was dead but still under warranty). The max refresh rate on my Freesync monitors is 75Hz and I never hear coil whine unless v-sync is off and framerates are extremely high.

Same was true for my previous GTX1080 and before that R9-390.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PSU in my Mac G4 suffers from this.
Half the problem is its an annoying sound. Hard drives or fans spinning don't bother me but the buzz like sound does.

As soon as you turn the computer on the sound is drowned out tough and If im not using it switch off the power at the wall. Problem fixed 😀

Reply 4 of 20, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My graphics card (GTX960) has audible coil whine when its rendering high FPS, mostly in menus where framerate is uncapped, 500+fps. It's not bothersome once system fans spin up and drown it out.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 9 of 20, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fact, I'd say. I had a motherboard with an AMD E-350 APU and it featured a high-pitched whine. It was annyoing, because the PC was fanless otherwise.

Edit: I could be wrong, but according to my memory, I kind of fixed it by disabling one of the power-saving features in CMOS setup.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 20, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So if you want to run high frame rates and no coil whine the solution is to turn v-sync on? What's the trade off with that?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 12 of 20, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

back when I had my first LCD I always enabled vsync without even noticing the lag because I hated tearing ^^

also coil whine can still exist at lower fps too, I remember my HD5870 emitting strange noises... but only really heard it near the card, got drowned out by the loud fan anyways x3

Reply 13 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote on 2020-07-24, 15:22:

I've been slowly putting together some parts for my first modern system and now looking over the gpu's available.
Noticed that a lot of the reviews for the RTX Geforces and the new Radeons the subject of coil whine keeps coming up.
I'm hearing impaired so maybe it's all a moot point but has anyone dealt with this issue or is it an over reaction?

Oh it's not a myth. Oh its so not a myth..

leileilol wrote on 2020-07-28, 23:59:

Vsync's classic tradeoff is input lag

Except if you have AMD graphics cards because they can eliminate around 80% of the latency with their Enhanced Sync driver technology.

#redteam

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 20, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not only Graphic cards and PSU, but also Motherboard are potentially impacted 🙁
My MSI 848P Neo-V ( Socket 370 ) has a strong coil whine noise almost all the time. Hopefully I won't hear it anymore when I'll put it in a case.

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 16 of 20, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Coil whine isn't a myth, I have a card that does it under certain (uncommon) conditions. Buy from somewhere with a good return policy.

appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-29, 06:55:

Except if you have AMD graphics cards because they can eliminate around 80% of the latency with their Enhanced Sync driver technology.

That's basically triple buffering, Nvidia has the same thing (it's called fast sync).

Reply 17 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So if you want to run high frame rates and no coil whine the solution is to turn v-sync on?

You can simply cap your frame rate without using Vsync.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 18 of 20, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote on 2020-07-24, 23:49:

I thought it was funny when people having this problem used to say "I can hear electricity. No really, I can."

Well, technically it isn't entirely wrong...

Also, it depends on your hearing, and whether you are oversensitive to sound or not (people with autism tend to suffer from the last one a lot). I can hear the whining of fluorescent tubes (healthy ones, not only ones that are close to failing) and it can be very bothersome.

Reply 19 of 20, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I had a crad whining, I'd swap ASAP.

No, seriously. Over the years, mi brain has been impressed with the idea that a PSU whining was either overloaded or soon to fail. Hearing a whine make me nervous.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!