VOGONS

First post, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried 3 versions. All of them froze my computer on windows logo while booting.

I uninstall all of them, each in add remove program + i did Driver Cleaner Professional 1.5 each time, clean with Nvidia choice . I used Driver Cleaner for Clean Matrox mystique driver too.

I have a integrated matrox mystique that i disabled in hardware profile , with a red cross on it. I cant disable it in bios, no option. And no jumper on board.

( the FX 5200 work Perfect in dos 6.22, i tried 10+ games)

I have a IBM PC Pentium 233mx with dual partition dos 6.22 and win98se. 128mb. Integrated Crystal CS4236b soundcard. And a ISA Zoltrix 5200 Plus v.2 that i use in dos, Only for the gameport.
Integrated matrox mystique 2mb. New Geforce FX 5200 128mb PCI version. I dont have agp port on my motherboard.

( i cant get any sound and music from both soundcard, but cs4236b drivers are installed correctly it seems, BUT i prefer to deal with that Only after my FX 5200 is working.)

Thanks for help

Reply 2 of 7, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

im not sure. But check my Ibm computer pictures
"9 pictures in total " in my other topic: Re: Hi! I want to add a sound card for only use the gameport in dos.

thanks a lot !

you can check my third topic for info if it can help :

Re: If i exchange my PCI Trident 1MB for a geforce FX 5200 PCI 128mb , would the dos compatibility be the same ?

thanks a lot !

EDIT: I dont have proof but i think its a IBM PC 300PL. but they made different version of 300PL. my computer looks exactly like this model and have the same components. i have a sticker removed on the computer cover, maybe the model was wrote there.

Reply 5 of 7, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I corrected the problem myself.

i made several things:

- scanreg/restore and choose a old reg version.
- remove mpu-401 driver from the zoltrix and cs4236b begin to work.
- correct a bugged internet explorer version by installing 6.0 ( i use the unnofficial sp3 pack and installed several things some hours ago, my problem began at that moment and i had icons problems)
- i installed geforce nvidia win 98 45.23 version.
i think 81.80 was not really compatible with FX 5200 or at least cause conflict.
- i made others things i forgot..

i have 2 general questions:

1. i know gameport of Zoltrix 3200 is not working and not installed in win98, but at least the isa zoltrix souncard is not detected in win98 right now , i didnt reinstalled the driver yet, but it seems I HAVE no conflict with my cs4236b right now. Win98 dont detect zoltrix 3200 at all. So to be sure to have no conflict with my cs4236b what is the best method to install ONLY the Zoltrix 3200 gameport in win98 ? thanks for help.

But i suppose i have to install the complete driver of the Zoltrix 3200 and after that, disable in hardware profile all of its soundcard component except gameport? is it the right thing to do ?

2. Could i put in my computer my other Trident pci videocard and use the trident or fx5200 at my choice while booting the PC or a way i can switch between them in dos or win98? is it possible ? i would prefer to keep the trident in my computer too if its possible, so i can switch between videocard for dos and maybe win98. thanks for answer .

Reply 6 of 7, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 5200 really does not belong on a socket 5/7 PC... it's drivers are written for a (much) newer PC architecture and even if you get it working correctly, it will perform very poorly because it has a significant CPU overhead. The slowest PCs i've gotten the FX series to work in are late socket 370 computers with AGP 4x (Via 69x / Intel i810/i815), and it performs poorly compared to a Geforce 3 or Geforce 4.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-09, 00:01. Edited 1 time in total.