VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, browsing through the web I found some very beautiful dosgames that are in my eyes special,
because the have very beautiful graphics (vga-320x200/256colors) and fine sound and excellent
scrolling. Features that were known to be on amiga when using more than 32/64colors by copper-
effects.

two games that are in this category:

- Turrican II The final fight.
- JimPower

Both are diffucult to get them working, even when using old machines. I play them on my PowerMac 6100/66
with the built-in houdini-card that is equipped with 486/66+CT512K Vga and a later SB-Chip (Vibra) with a real! OPL3!

There are not so manny games that combine these features, mostly games from the bitmap-brothers are high-quality
as well like GOD's, but these are a bit older and do work on 286/386.

What dos-games do you think are quality-wise in the matching category?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 219, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-07-30, 18:06:

- JimPower

Both are diffucult to get them working, even when using old machines. I play them on my PowerMac 6100/66
with the built-in houdini-card that is equipped with 486/66+CT512K Vga and a later SB-Chip (Vibra) with a real! OPL3!

Jim Power is on Steam these days in a fancy bundle with a bunch of alternative versions.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/370270/Jim … Lost_Dimension/

It might be good-looking, but it also looks excruciatingly frustrating and painful to play.

Reply 4 of 219, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to admit, that my JimPower-Game as only 2 seconds music and then no more sounds.
It seems that it has problems with my soundblaster....I need to fix this, but can't find a patch.

Reply 6 of 219, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably the 486-playable 3d games with the shiny water. Comanche expansions (voxels+reflects) and Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri come to mind.

If that's not the ideal, there's the Brainbug DOS adaptations of a couple console games which are in the same tier as the Turrican 2 port with regards to beautifully redrawn art for VGA (Earthworm JIm 1 + 2 and the cancelled Super Star Wars game). They're also more playable than Jim Power 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 219, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always thought Albion looked nice (art style is a bit Amiga-ish), both the 2D and 3D scenes, and I think it ran okay on a 486.

Archimedean Dynasty had impressive 3D and according to the specs you can run it on a 486 DX4 but I never did. Same with SU-27 Flanker and EF 2000.

Flight Unlimited also looked impressive but in different way because it had "photo realistic" textures, not because of the cool pixel art.

Lastly, you can run Quake on 486 at about 12 FPS, as long as nobody is shooting.

Last edited by HandOfFate on 2020-08-27, 14:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 10 of 219, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SimCopter is Win95. This is a DOS thread. also simcopter is infamous for its speed issues (it needs to run slowly to be playable) and is far from being a beautiful game anyway.

dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-07-31, 15:08:

These two?

More specifically:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/earthworm-jim- … ole-can-o-worms

It's ported by Rainbow Arts, but definitely has Brainbug involved.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 219, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max and Day of The Tentacle are superb looking games..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 219, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess Jazz Jackrabbit is way too obvious to mention? Consider it mentioned. Someone in my recent thread about gamepad games for DOS put me onto Vinyl Goddess, which is a very nicely presented platformer.

One of my favourites for art & music direction (particularly if you have an MT-32) is the original Dune, although it doesn't match OP's requirements for gameplay style.

I'm going to give the Earthworm Jim games a run on my 386 and see how they go 😀

Reply 14 of 219, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-08-01, 08:14:

One of my favourites for art & music direction (particularly if you have an MT-32) is the original Dune, although it doesn't match OP's requirements for gameplay style.

I think the original Dune (as well as the other Dune, ie DUNE II) sound much better in OPL3 than MT-32.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15 of 219, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-07-30, 20:27:

Turbular worlds has also very nice gfx a stutterfree-scrolling. nice!

It's a great game, been enjoying it since I found the demo on a coverdisc in 94...
Tried the Mac version today on my 6100, because why not play both versions at the same time!

tubworldmacdemointro.png
Filename
tubworldmacdemointro.png
File size
50.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If you like Breakout clones, try Krypton Egg

ke1b.png
Filename
ke1b.png
File size
14.9 KiB
Views
File license
ke3.png
Filename
ke3.png
File size
14.61 KiB
Views
File license

https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/krypton-egg/

And another great Dongleware title, Bolo:

bolointro.png
Filename
bolointro.png
File size
138.48 KiB
Views
File license
bolo1.png
Filename
bolo1.png
File size
76.2 KiB
Views
File license

The 3 levels demo is a bit large (for 1995), I extracted it from a coverdisc: http://dl.free.fr/rZp4v4eKH

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 16 of 219, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Monster Attack" looks promising! Turbular Worlds does not scroll so nice on Mac as on PC due to the upscaling of the 320x200 to 640x400. Same goes for JazzJackRabbit2 on Mac with no hardwarescrolling.

---edit: Monster Attack is Krypton Egg ?

Reply 17 of 219, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-08-01, 20:35:

"Monster Attack" looks promising! Turbular Worlds does not scroll so nice on Mac as on PC due to the upscaling of the 320x200 to 640x400. Same goes for JazzJackRabbit2 on Mac with no hardwarescrolling.

---edit: Monster Attack is Krypton Egg ?

Every tenth level in Krypton Egg is a special level, either a Hordes Attack or a Monster Attack

ke2.png
Filename
ke2.png
File size
19.94 KiB
Views
File license

You're right about the scrolling, I must say the music in the Mac version of Tubular Worlds is pretty nice, I might even like it more than the PC version.
Haven't tested the Amiga version yet...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 18 of 219, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-08-01, 20:35:

Tubular Worlds does not scroll so nice on Mac as on PC due to the upscaling of the 320x200 to 640x400. Same goes for JazzJackRabbit2 on Mac with no hardwarescrolling.

That'd be a slowdown from the lowly '601 CPU on your PPC6100; on faster PPC Macs Tubular Worlds and Jazz 2 look wonderfully smooth