VOGONS

First post, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May sound like an odd question but back in January 2001 bought a Asus P2B-S as a replacement to my P2B (in case it died) even though I did not need it at the time but wanted a back up board and a local shop had a NOS discounted so grabbed it. Still have the board new in box other than booted up every few years... which leads me to the topic question. Have thought a CUSL2 would be better choice if I could go back and do it again. What would be your choice ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 1 of 32, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmmm... maybe a few more ASUS P5A boards.

The PAGP SBC that can take LGA775 CPUs though I am not sure it can even take Pentium D as the specs only say Pentium 4 and Celeron D which were single core.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 32, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't sell my Chaintech 6BTM.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 32, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-08-01, 04:30:

I would hunt for a mATX SS7, not sure if they ever existed. 1agp, 2pci, 2isa (1 shared), and SBlink.

WvqRwAGl.jpg

Its does exist - Chaintech 5RSA2 (SB-Link, Although not populated and ESS Solo-1 Onboard)

Reply 7 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going back to those times I wish I would have NOT bought many components... like the K6-2 550 that resulted in a ridicolous performance difference, like the Voodoo3 2000 when considering the resolution I was used to play and the K6-2 a Voodo01 or a Riva128 or whatever old cheaper card would have been just as fast, or like the Duron 750 system that was fast but soon upgraded and upgraded again with new generations of cpu/mobo.. Just like smartphones in the 2007-2013 years I bought and tried many of them just for the passion of upgrading and upgrading..
Then I realized how much I could have easily lived with the oldest config/phone and stopped upgrading and began downgrading to retro collection and I think I'll never come back to the upgrade logic again.

Last edited by 386SX on 2020-08-01, 13:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 32, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote on 2020-08-01, 08:56:
https://i.imgur.com/WvqRwAGl.jpg […]
Show full quote
kolderman wrote on 2020-08-01, 04:30:

I would hunt for a mATX SS7, not sure if they ever existed. 1agp, 2pci, 2isa (1 shared), and SBlink.

WvqRwAGl.jpg

Its does exist - Chaintech 5RSA2 (SB-Link, Although not populated and ESS Solo-1 Onboard)

I would love that board. mATX DOS builds are my joy.

Reply 9 of 32, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-08-01, 03:39:

May sound like an odd question but back in January 2001 bought a Asus P2B-S as a replacement to my P2B (in case it died) even though I did not need it at the time but wanted a back up board and a local shop had a NOS discounted so grabbed it. Still have the board new in box other than booted up every few years... which leads me to the topic question. Have thought a CUSL2 would be better choice if I could go back and do it again. What would be your choice ?

Does your P2B-S support fsb 133Mhz ? If so that would be my choice.

Reply 10 of 32, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I could go back to 2001, I would invest $5000 into Apple stock which would be worth about $1.8 million today.

Oh, and I would try to find Chaintech 5RSA2. It's a fantastic retro motherboard, I had one and foolishly let it go.

Reply 11 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Me? I'd probably just keep most of the stuff I had to ditch in 2008 when moving to small apartment. Even disregarding the non-PC stuff (NeXT, SGI, Sun, IBM etc), I offloaded things like late-revision Asus P2B-DS, P55T2P4 rev 3.1, Alaris Cougar, some or other Supermicro dual So370 + Serverworks + AGP board, a couple of So4 boards. Oh, and two big boxes containing one or two boards from pretty much every So5/So7 chipset.

Only things I would have done extra would be a few of the AOpen gimmick motherboards, things like the AX3S Sweet Kiss (pink) motherboard and one of their tube audio boards. Otherwise pretty average boards (if not below average in the case of i845-with-crappy-AC97-hooked-up-to-the-tubes), but in retrospect plain fun 😀

Oh, and a working NexGen system. They were rare, sought-after and expensive back then too, but a lot cheaper and easier than now.

Reply 13 of 32, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sheesh. I think I'd buy a very early 486 motherboard with discrete logic. A full AT one, like a Micronix. Never see those, rare as heck. Or maybe a very early clone 386 board from 1987-1988 -- the kind that was just rows of densely packed ICs and no chipset, on a full AT board with DIP ram. Now they're gone, gone escrap, but I bet you could find one for the price of shipping twenty years ago.

Reply 15 of 32, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I'm limited to 20years, I'd probably make the same decision I did back then and get a Slot A motherboard. I'd change my GPU decision tho, I went with an ATI 9550 at the time and it was decidedly mediocre.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 16 of 32, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would get all the full ATX Tualatin boards with ISA slot(s) 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 19 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2020-08-01, 17:14:

I would get all the full ATX Tualatin boards with ISA slot(s) 🤣

This ^^^ .

Alternatively, in my case some Asus P3B-F boards with Tualatin PowerLeap adapters .