VOGONS

First post, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, I'm serious. The PC speaker is inherently a limited, primitive means of reproducing audio. But much of the pain of PC speaker sound comes from the physical drivers used to reproduce the sound. In most laptops and in many newer desktops, the PC speaker is a literal piezo buzzer better suited to an alarm clock or smoke detector. They have a harsh, ear-piercing tone and very poor fidelity. Speech and other digital audio is barely intelligible when played through them. If you're lucky, and have an older desktop, it's still just a 2" paper cone speaker -- the cheap kind like used in old AM pocket transistor radios. These start rolling off around 500hz and often have a lot of distortion, resulting in a thin and harsh sound.

A modern laptop speaker is likely to fit in place of the piezo in even a cramped laptop. They make some really small ones, though the smallest will probably sound thin. For a desktop, options abound -- you could make the PC speaker quieter by choosing an inefficient speaker with a rubber surround -- which will also give you a deeper sound. If you play PC booters or CGA titles with no sound option, wire in a switch so you can mute the speaker at will.

This isn't just splitting hairs. I put a surplus laptop speaker in my 486 notebook and it's now able to play WAV files in Windows with fidelity approaching that of a basic Covox clone. Ditto for mod trackers with PC speaker output. Trash PC speaker sound still sounds primitive, but games like Jazz Jackrabbit actually sound okay with the effects on. Not like a Soundblaster, but good enough to leave on. And early CGA titles still sound obnoxious, but they're no longer like nails on a chalkboard harsh.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-11, 21:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I simply run the signal to PC-speaker input of a sound card when present, solves all the problems. Piezo drivers are awful though and upgrade may be worthwhile.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a nostalgic attachment to the PC speaker option for a lot of games but yes the implementation of them varies - older, more solid cases are better in my experience and one of my old flip tops in particular sounds amazing. They can be too loud though so it's worth splicing in a resistor or like you say try a different speaker.

So yes PC speaker doesn't get much love but can definitely be improved - using the sound card is an option (a PAS16 cleverly picks up the signal via the ISA bus by default!) but it never feels right to me, PC speaker sounds should come out of the case 😁

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 13, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can route it through to a sound card, consider yourself lucky. That's the best option! My machine is a laptop, so I do not have any slots or any inbuilt sound system aside from that buzzer. Ditto for people with IBM PS/2s who don't have trust funds and ninja sourcing skills.

The best PC Speaker I've heard was in the IBM PS/1. It used an oversized cone, mated to an amplifier. Volume control and headphone jack. I think it was set up as such primarily so the PC could support a very rare IBM sound card module.

Reply 5 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a little adapter to plug into the motherboard's PC Speaker output that has a 3.5mm jac on the other end and then I can plug that into the input on my main computer to do recordings.

Works really well though I am not convinced that all motherboards output the same sounds as the one game I was going to do recordings from was giving me fade-out effects and the other person that ended up doing the recording on their system was not getting these effects.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This reminds of an older thread here at vogons.
The PC-Speaker is essentially a TTL device with 5v DC, rather than a true audio device.

Normally, by hi-fi standards, using DC on a speaker or a pair of headphones is a no-go.
That's why old tube amp designs used condensers or transformers to get rid of DC.

Of course, a TTL device is very sensitive, so attaching a transformer might cause a short/damage.

That's why we discussed adding an opto-coupler for recording purposes.
Maybe it can also be used to interface with an amp or filter circuit.

Edit: Found it!
How can I connect the 4-pin PC speaker post on the mobo to a Line In connector of some audio device?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 13, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Routing it through sound card can be useful.

I bet we have all suffered that "funny moment" when you accidentally have your amplifier switched on and volume up high... then the PC boots up...

***BEEP!!!!!!!!*** *instant tinnitus

Reply 9 of 13, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a driver for windows 3.1 that allows the speaker to play digital sound; it's pretty weird.

I mean you're not going to get great sound out of it no matter what, but the concept of what it's for shifted over time.

Reply 10 of 13, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love speakers and wouldn't change them. I grew up playing on my parents' work computers and haven't had a computer with a sound card until 1999.
(sad violin tune playing in background)
Those crappy little speakers represent my childhood.

Reply 11 of 13, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

same, i still only had a pc speaker as late as 1996 iirc... if only I knew what my first sound card even was later on... but Monkey Island and the like on an old pc speaker is just very nostalgic to me :3
on my current test setup I put an empy plastic shell over the speaker which nicely amplifies the sound 🤣

Reply 12 of 13, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to do something in my 386. It has a substantial looking speaker, but it's near inaudible once everything is closed up. I'd like to upgrade it because no matter how many other sound options you have, some games just need the internal speaker.

Reply 13 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about earpieces (speakers) of old land-line telephones?
Impedance is higher (150 to 200 Ohms?), but are they louder than paper cone speakers if used as drop-in replacements ?
- I've seen them in 70s PCs and Modem cards..

Sound quality should be quite good, I assume.
In the old days, hams used them (speaker, not mike) as microphones by the help of an one-transistor amp (say 2n2222).

Attachments

• hörkapsel.jpg
    Filename
    hörkapsel.jpg
    File size
    8.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//