VOGONS

First post, by plsmepls123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to play Quake 1 with a friend. I set up the game and updated it already, I just have a few problems that I can't seem to find anything about:

1. Scale the HUD/UI of the game to the different resolutions.
2. Play on the highest resolution, fullscreen, but also keep the aspect ratio.
3. Make sure that the game is running fullspeed, no more, no less.

AKA, the "perfect" Quake experience.

Reply 2 of 7, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is beyond the dosbox scope but what I did was buy the quake package from GOG then ran it using the dark places mod plus rygel's
texture pack. On a semi modern system it looks "sublime"!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox can't do anything about 1. Statusbar scaling was a thing only GLQuake officially did (and this feature's present in pretty much all accelerated source ports).

2. Quake's resolution cap is a hard 1280x1024 and is fixed to 4:3 aspect for the FOV calculation. aspect=true should help that.

3. Quake already runs well by default. Know that fast computers did struggle at higher resolutiosn in the day too as it's all still CPU software rendered.

also quakespasm is the popular recommended port these days but that's not perfect either IMO. "Perfect" is very subjective among Quake, as you'll also get answers about 'perfect' ports WITHOUT TEXTURES AND LIGHTING because pro winning etc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-08-02, 01:16:

also quakespasm is the popular recommended port these days but that's not perfect either IMO. "Perfect" is very subjective among Quake, as you'll also get answers about 'perfect' ports WITHOUT TEXTURES AND LIGHTING because pro winning etc.

That's why I said "good" in my reply 😀 I remember vaguely some video (by LRG or Civvie11 perhaps) that specifically mentioned hunting for the right port that would handle the audio tracks properly, but I forgot what port was ultimately the reviewer's choice.

Unless I'm missing something, there should be no reason to play Quake in DOSBox generally now, unless it's for testing or likewise purposes.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games