VOGONS

First post, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear readers,
Ive recently obtained an Fujitsu scenic e300 desktop pc. Just to toy around with, some oldschool xp gaming. P4 2ghz and 2gb ram on WinXP. Onboard Ac97 sound and intergrated whopping intel 82865g 64mb extreme graphics 2........ yeah and thats when the fun ended.
This pc isnt meant for gaming...
but i want to..🤤
but it can run Quake 3 like crazy. So rest wouldnt be a problem since opengl went great!
So i tried Soldier of Fortune 2, RTC Wolfenstein, Doom3 but they all hang on "no opengl subsystem detcted, gpucard not compatible...etc etc."
Huh but quake3 ran fine?

Is there a way to do it? Obvious the intel onboard is not for gaming.
Only 2 pci slots available for an PCI Gpu card.
Ive got a spare voodoo2 8mb card but that wont add power. I think theres no cheap way for me to a gpu in there? 🤔

Thanks for your advices!

Rise of the Triad

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try installing the Intel graphics drivers. If using the Windows drivers then you are likely using the OGL->D3D wrapper built into windows. IIRC, Windows only allows it for certain games and Quake 3 is one of them. You can check inside of Quake 3 and it show the driver being used as well as the extension.
You really shouldn't bother with the integrated GPU any PCI card will be better unless you actively try to find one that is worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_g … cond_generation
Intel Extreme Graphics 2

From 1999 to 2003 I played Quake 3 with the following :
TNT1
G400
Hercules 3D Prophet 2 GTS 64M 220C
Hercules 3D Prophet 3
Geforce 3 Ti500
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-07-21, 20:14:
Try installing the Intel graphics drivers. If using the Windows drivers then you are likely using the OGL->D3D wrapper built int […]
Show full quote

Try installing the Intel graphics drivers. If using the Windows drivers then you are likely using the OGL->D3D wrapper built into windows. IIRC, Windows only allows it for certain games and Quake 3 is one of them. You can check inside of Quake 3 and it show the driver being used as well as the extension.
You really shouldn't bother with the integrated GPU any PCI card will be better unless you actively try to find one that is worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_g … cond_generation
Intel Extreme Graphics 2

From 1999 to 2003 I played Quake 3 with the following :
TNT1
G400
Hercules 3D Prophet 2 GTS 64M 220C
Hercules 3D Prophet 3
Geforce 3 Ti500
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Ive used the intel driver from the fujitsu diver site.
Might try a driver from intel itself, gonna try that.
Im afraid there wont be an pci 1.0 sufficient to run games like SOF2. Even if i can get my hands on the ones youve mentioned. The pc is fast enough but the lack of gpu power is a thing.
No agp or express cards can be used.
Other than trying the intel driver on their site is just wasting money for gaming.

Thanks for your help 👍

Rise of the Triad

Reply 3 of 5, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So ive installed an nvidia mx geforce 400 128mb pci card. It detects it. But when installing forceware it gives me incompatibility message, stating drivers not tested on XP.
Plus had to disable intel extreme graphics 2 onboard card. (I cant seem to find the bios setting to turn it off).
Anyone any idea on what is causing it not to function correct 🤔?
It says nvidia installed but the nvidia menu disappears when opened and i cant set proper resolution. When selecting 1024x768 it just stays on 800x600.

Thanks

Yes im aware that its an business machine.
But already turned an hp vectra vi8 in an Voodoo2 sli beast! 😆

Rise of the Triad