VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 100, by RazaXML

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a couple of new pics of the pinball cabinet progress. PF works great!

http://razaland.com/images/cabinet1.jpg
http://razaland.com/images/cabinet2.jpg

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-11, 22:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 82 of 100, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RazaXML wrote on 2020-08-08, 23:23:

I have a couple of new pics of the pinball cabinet progress. PF works great!

http://razaland.com/images/cabinet1.jpg
http://razaland.com/images/cabinet2.jpg

This is SO COOL. Well done on the build! Pretty nice how well the playfield size fits the display, and it looks like a pretty good approximation of the size of a real pin too. 😀

I'm also impressed with how good that TV looks at such an off-angle. In the photo at least... How is it in real life?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 84 of 100, by pyroDUCK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really interested in this. I'd really like to get this working, when I was a kid I played Pinball Fantasies Partyland a lot and I still play it today. Unfortunately I've tried for hours and I can't get the things here working. I own Pinball Fantasies Deluxe via GOG because I lost my floppies long ago.

Could I ask that someone post some simple instructions to get this working? I have a 1080p monitor vertical atm but will be 1440p in my final cab. Thanks in advance!

Reply 85 of 100, by RazaXML

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The key to getting it to work this well is sirlee's post on page 4 setting the aspect ratio. He posted the build of dosbox he compiled to get this working. I also used the SDL.dll posted by felipe.sanches on page 1 which replaces the SDL.dll in the DOSBox folder in your pinball fantasies folder. other than that follow the guides in here for setting up the conf files. especially the aspect ratio settings

Reply 86 of 100, by RazaXML

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote on 2020-08-17, 07:08:

I'm also impressed with how good that TV looks at such an off-angle. In the photo at least... How is it in real life?

Yes it looks that good standing in front of it. It's a VIZIO E422VLE I got used for $80 and is rated for 180 degree viewing angles. It's nice and bright at all angles.

I'm almost done with the build. I have the glass and front (lockdown bar) installed now. I'll post some final pics when I'm done.

Reply 87 of 100, by RazaXML

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last set of pictures I'll post. I'm basically done with the cabinet build. Here's some final shots of the cab running PF

http://razaland.com/images/cabinet5.jpg
http://razaland.com/images/cabinet3.jpg

Thanks again everyone for the help. This project turned out great.

Reply 88 of 100, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RazaXML wrote on 2020-08-20, 05:14:
Last set of pictures I'll post. I'm basically done with the cabinet build. Here's some final shots of the cab running PF […]
Show full quote

Last set of pictures I'll post. I'm basically done with the cabinet build. Here's some final shots of the cab running PF

http://razaland.com/images/cabinet5.jpg
http://razaland.com/images/cabinet3.jpg

Thanks again everyone for the help. This project turned out great.

I feel like it deserves its own build thread (although I'm not sure which section is best for a DOSBox-based cabinet build). Some questions that I have and I'm sure others would be interested in:

- What's the PC hardware
- Details of cabinet kit
- What's the boot process look like (I assume it autolaunches the game) and what does the game UI / table selection look like on screen
- Details of all the physical control mappings, wiring harness & interface
- Is there tilt? Do the coin slots do anything? etc
- What sound hardware are you emulating, what's the amp setup etc

Reply 89 of 100, by RazaXML

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem, I didn't want to be rude and clog up a very useful thread with cabinet build stuff. Everyone here has been so helpful, I will be happy to answer any questions.

quote from: Pierre32...

I feel like it deserves its own build thread (although I'm not sure which section is best for a DOSBox-based cabinet build). Some questions that I have and I'm sure others would be interested in:

This wasn't specifically a DOXBox cabinet built. I had already been in the planning stages when I came across this thread explaining how to get doxbox in fullscreen 9:16 The goal was a semi-authentic pinball cabinet that fits in the space I have for it. Thus the odd shaped "head box" on top. I had originally planned on a full size 1:1 to a real machine, it just wouldn't fin in my game room which is in a space upstairs and has one wall that is slanted halfway up to the ceiling.

If any is interested in the potential of what a full scale Virtual Pinball machine can be check out this guide:

http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/Build … ver=R3.201602xx

It's an amazing resource of just about anything and everything that can be done in a pc based pinball cabinet.

- What's the PC hardware

It's a Dell Precision T1700 Xeon E3-1246v3 3.50Ghz 16GB Desktop. Found it ready to go on ebay for about $200. The GPU on it was weak though so I replaced the powersupply and added a GeForce GTX 760 which I had laying around from a previous pc build from years ago. That was enough for the PC to handle just about any pinball emulator at full speed and detail level.

The TV is a VIZIO E422VLE 42 inch TV ($80) that is clear and bright at all viewing angles.

The upper monitor is an older NEC multisync 2190UXp 24 inch 4:3 monitor. I believe it's the largest letterbox lcd made, and it's stand has build in rotation which makes it perfect for arcade cabinet builds. (I have a fullsize arcade I built 20 years ago that has this monitor in it as well) It was a very expensive monitor and high quality when it was released. I had found a few of them on amazon and ebay years ago for less than $70 a piece shipped.

- Details of cabinet kit

It's an original design based on my needs for the main playfield TV that I bought to use, and real pinball dimensions. Like I said my space requirements were odd where it was going so I made sure the head box fit in the room, and fit the monitor and speakers I had picked out as well. It was all designed in Sketchup. It's handy because I love to 3d print as well, and there are many 3d printed parts in this build. I can design the cabinet as well as the parts I need all together and print them on the 3D printer as needed.

Bits and bobs were bought as needed here and there. Most everything can be found on ebay or amazon. Only specialized parts were the legs ($63 shipped) that I found cheapest at pinballlife. I also ordered the flipper buttons and leaf switches while I was there ($27)

All told since I know people will be curious I spent just over $800 for this build. That is including the pc, tv and all wood and hardware that was purchased specifically for this build. I saved a little bit from things I already had, but not much otherwise most everything else I needed to buy online.

List of things I needed to buy:
TV $80.00
Plywood $70.00
aluminum edging $12.00
glass $55.00
Plunger $25.90
Plunger plate $7.20
KL25Z $24.99
computer $200.00
fans $10.99
grills $5.99
speakers $61.40
coin door $55.10
slide pot $12.13
speaker grills $7.86
power plug $6.99
legs $63.88
relay powerstrip $26.95
leaf buttons $27.15
illuminated buttons $11.79
leg levelers $7.40
Vinyl wrap $30.00
Total: $802

- What's the boot process look like (I assume it autolaunches the game) and what does the game UI / table selection look like on screen

Currently just boots to windows desktop. Still playing around with the system. The main pinball emulator I'm using is Visual Pinball (vpx) So far I have about 750 authentic tables set up. It's been many hours getting it all organized. The frontend is PINUP Popper. It's been a lot of configuration so far, so it's been convenient to just boot to windows and choose what I need to run. I also have scripts to start up DOSBox, etc...

I have "Mars Attacks" playfield and backglass images as my backgrounds so it looks nice when in windoze. I will probably just keep it this way.

As for physically powering up everything I found a cheap powerstrip on amazon:

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or Wifi, Relay Shield
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WV7GMA2/ … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for about $27 that can take in a low voltage signal and turn on the outlets in the power strip. I would normally make this myself, but a ready made one like this for that price is actually a really good deal so I went with this.

Basically I ran a 12 volt and ground cable directly from the pc powersupply (using one of the powersupply connectors like for a hard drive... any yellow(12v) and black(ground) wires will do) and ran it to the input line of that powerstrip. When the pc turns on, click, the other outlets will turn on as well. Useful for turning on and off the tv, monitor, and sound without much fuss.

I also use those same yellow and black wires from the pc powersupply to power all the fans, and led lights for the buttons up front. It's all low amperage stuff so the powersupply handles it no problem.

- Details of all the physical control mappings, wiring harness & interface

All controls are basically done through a KL25Z programmable USB controller. It seemed to be the choice for people that do pinball cabinets, as it's easy to set up, and even has a built in motion sensor so the cabinet can be nudged around realistically. It's a cheap option and can also even handle lights and things like noise makers, relays, and solenoids for people that want their cabinet to bang around like a real machine (I didn't want this for now)

The plunger is a genuine pinball part (surprisingly not that expensive) that is attached to a sliding 100mm 10k pot that is also wired to the KL25Z board. It allows the pluger to work perfectly 1:1 in pinball emulators. I even figured out a way to have it work (sort of) in pinball fantasies. I have a program running that detects when the plunger is pulled past a certain point and virtually presses the "down" key. Works well, but I also have a button for ball launching (not all real machines used plungers) that works just as well.

- Is there tilt? Do the coin slots do anything? etc

Yes the machine can tilt depending on the emulator and how it handles "nudging" Pinball fantasies mostly benefits from digital nudge (originally spacebar) so I mapped the extra button on the sides as spacebar. Pushing that too much and it will tilt. In Visual Pinball I have realistic nudging that can in theory tilt the machine, but if you really want authentic tilt you can add a real tilt bob inside the machine that can also be connected to the KL25Z. I did not add one.

The coin door I decided not to accept money. I have this on my MAME cabinet, and it's not all that usefull. Instead I 3D printed special brackets to turn the pushable (coin returns) into regular buttons that are my coin buttons for emulated tables. Inside the botton coin return slot (where the money would go if a coin was returned) I hid the button that turns the PC on and off

- What sound hardware are you emulating, what's the amp setup etc

The sound is all run through a logitech z333 regular set of speakers. It was about the cheapest 2.1 speaker setup that looked any good I could find. It does sound really nice and can get loud. The subwoofer is inside the box pointing down through a hold in the bottom. It also has a convenient volume knob I was able to 3D print a bracket for and point down through a hole in the bottom.

Reply 91 of 100, by sirlee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a video of my cab with Pinup Popper running my patch. I also created some media for popper, so it does not look so boring.
https://youtu.be/CruTG0HY8NE

Here are the scripts I created to get this whole thing working with popper. It is a bit messy but it works.

dropbox-link

There is an .rtf included with instructions.

The solution is based on the Pinball Gold Pack from gog.com, but can be modified to work with other versions.

Reply 92 of 100, by RazaXML

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sirlee wrote on 2020-08-22, 19:09:
Here is a video of my cab with Pinup Popper running my patch. I also created some media for popper, so it does not look so bori […]
Show full quote

Here is a video of my cab with Pinup Popper running my patch. I also created some media for popper, so it does not look so boring.
https://youtu.be/CruTG0HY8NE

Here are the scripts I created to get this whole thing working with popper. It is a bit messy but it works.

dropbox-link

There is an .rtf included with instructions.

The solution is based on the Pinball Gold Pack from gog.com, but can be modified to work with other versions.

Very cool. I'll definitely take a look at the scripts.

Reply 94 of 100, by DeXteRrBDN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sonninnos wrote on 2021-09-09, 16:48:

Good news! This patch was recently added to libretro DOSBox-core with bonus realtime toggle key and value adjustments.

Video proof: https://youtu.be/gb75dEAUL5w

whaaaatt!! that's great news!! thanks for sharing with us 😁

Reply 95 of 100, by Aurel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,
Thanks to your work I managed to make all these games perfectly working and sized :

Supported games (perfectly working) :
- Pinball Dreams Deluxe DOS/GOG (it includes Pinball Dreams 1&2)
- Pinball Fantasies Deluxe DOS/GOG (it includes Pinball Fantasies & Pinball Mania)
- Pinball Illusions DOS/GOG
- Absolute Pinball DOS
- Pinball 2000 DOS
- Pinball 4000 DOS
- Psycho Pinball DOS
- Ultimate Pinball DOS
- Epic Pinball Complete Collection DOS (GOG)
- Silverball DOS
- Electronic Pinball DOS
- Thomas The Tank Engine's Pinball DOS

Tested but unfortunately not working :
(full table resolution is too big: out of range...)
- Extreme Pinball DOS
- Pinball Warriors DOS
- Tilt DOS

I just made some more modifications in your code and managed to get something very nice.
I also put a launcher and a shader to get Backglass on 2nd screen, DMD Export on the backglass or 3rd screen and a nice CRT effect.
Everything is perfect!!

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5744-pinc … in-your-pincab/

I will share my changes soon (very small changes btw), but I still have to fix/clean a few more things before 😀

Reply 96 of 100, by DeXteRrBDN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey!! just read your post at VPUniverse! 😁 the work you did is great and thanks for crediting us!

I tried your PinCabView2D application, but it shows a black screen and blocks the computer for a few seconds, then it crashes. Hope it works for others. I only have 1 screen, so I don't know the app requirements.

Reply 97 of 100, by Aurel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DeXteRrBDN wrote on 2021-09-12, 10:58:

hey!! just read your post at VPUniverse! 😁 the work you did is great and thanks for crediting us!

I tried your PinCabView2D application, but it shows a black screen and blocks the computer for a few seconds, then it crashes. Hope it works for others. I only have 1 screen, so I don't know the app requirements.

😀
The autoexec part of the config shouldn't match your game installation 😉
everything is closed when the game lost focus so if the autoexec don't work everything closes.

With a single screen configuration you just won't get the backglass and the DMD will be kept on the table display.

Edit: I really want to get Extreme Pinball working... It's not far to be working it just repeats the display too early... There is a limite in screen configuration to remove but I dont't manage to find where...
dosbox-2021-09-12-14-25-43.png

Reply 98 of 100, by Aurel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PinCabView Version 1.2 released just now here : https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5744-pinc … in-your-pincab/

As promised, here the full diff patch of the DOSBox "Pinhack V3x" used in the very last PinCabView 1.2 package.
I did my best to clean the sources and to improve a few details :

Filename
PinHackV3x.diff
File size
14.36 KiB
Downloads
122 downloads
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Edit 1.2 : some improvements in the aspect ratio code.

Pinhack original changes by felipe.sanches, Joaquim Hilari, sirlee,... Other contributors and support : Pinball Fantasies no-scr […]
Show full quote

Pinhack original changes by felipe.sanches, Joaquim Hilari, sirlee,...
Other contributors and support : Pinball Fantasies no-scroll patch for dosbox 0.65
Actual most updated sources (v3) are available here :
https://github.com/DeXteRrBDN/dosbox-pinhack/ … h/pinhack.patch

V3x - Updated by Aubrel - September 2021 for PinCabView2D release.
https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5744-pinc … in-your-pincab/
* doublewidth option removed
* Trigger value ranges removed
* Pinball Dreams patch option removed but rewritten and added again (automated).
* True expand aspect ratio option added (when triggered)
* True forced aspect ratio option added (when not triggered)
* doubleheight and doublewidth are disabled when triggered
* doubleheight and doublewidth are disabled with ratio(s)
* vgaonly card support added
* Overall cleanups and small improvments

Most PinballDreams-like games are now perfectly working (without any issue!), including:
* Pinball Dreams DOS : vgaonly - 320x350 => 320x536 (game set to hight res)
* Pinball Dreams II DOS : svga_s3 - 320x200 => 320x536 (switch hack applied to fix the intro/menu)
* Pinball Dreams Deluxe DOS/GOG (Dreams 1&2) : vgaonly - 320x350 => 320x536 (game set to hight res)
* Pinball Fantasies DOS : vgaonly - 320x350 => 320x608 (game set to hight res)
* Pinball Mania DOS : vgaonly - 320x350 => 320x632 (game set to hight res)
* Pinball Fantasies Deluxe DOS/GOG (Fantasies & Mania) : vgaonly - 320x350 => 320x608 (game set to hight res)
* Pinball Illusions DOS/GOG : svga_s3 - 336x350 => 336x664 (game set to VGA 360x350)
* Absolute Pinball DOS : svga_s3 - 320x400 => 320x700 (game set to VGA hight)
* Pinball 2000 DOS : svga_s3 - 320x200 => 320x536 (switch hack applied to fix the intro/menu)
* Pinball 4000 DOS : vgaonly - 320x480 => 320x634 (game set to hight res)
* Psycho Pinball DOS : svga_s3 - 320x368 => 320x820 (game set to hight res)
* Ultimate Pinball DOS : svga_s3 - 360x360 => 360x672 (table size is only 320x672)
* Epic Pinball Complete Collection DOS/GOG : svga_s3 - 320x240 => 320x420 (320x424 for the last 5 tables)
* Silverball DOS : svga_s3 - 320x240 => 320x420
* Electronic Pinball DOS : svga_s3 - 320x240 => 320x610
* Thomas The Tank Engine's Pinball DOS : vgaonly - 320x350 => 320x540 (game set to small)
* Pinball Wizard 2000 DOS : svga_s3 - 320x240 => 320x510

Not working :
* Extreme Pinball DOS : svga_s3 - 320x400 => 320x (scrolling can be removed but it doesn't expand up to the full table)
* Pinball Warriors DOS : svga_s3 - 640x480 => 640x720 (keeps scrolling to follow the ball)
* Tilt DOS : svga_s3 - 640x480 => (doesn't expand and broken/blinking)
* Pinball Prelude : svga_s3 - 320x200 => (doesn't expand)

Enjoy 😀

Last edited by Aurel on 2021-09-23, 06:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 99 of 100, by Aurel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just updated the above post with the last changes.
I tried many things but I never manage to get Extreme Pinball working...
The scrolling can be removed in the user.txt file of the game but the game doesn't expand enough it stops before the full table size and so the botom of the table is still missing as shown in my screenshot above 🙁

Anyway the ratio code in the version 1.2 is really better than before and now this build can be used to fix/force the ratio of any game even without using the expand feature 😀