Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2140 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So found out on a Discord channel I frequent that this is done. Very cool if you like Aliens' movies and the game Doom. >> https://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-the-ultimat … ens-eradication

https://youtu.be/0B9qaMxoAo4

Someone asked how to get it running so I thought I would quickly add that:

1.) Download the latest GZDoom here >> https://zdoom.org/downloads
2.) Throw your Doom/Doom 2 wads into the same folder as gzdoom.exe
3.) Throw the Aliens pk3 and wad file into the same dir as gzdoom.exe
4.) Highlight both the Aliens' pk3 and wad file and then drag them over the gzdoom.exe file
5.) When prompted choose which Doom engine and enjoy.

Truly amazing work.

Reply 2141 of 5847, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote on 2020-08-24, 14:45:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-08-19, 22:29:
buckeye wrote on 2020-08-19, 20:46:
With my new Ryzen system up and running mainly playing the following: […]
Show full quote

With my new Ryzen system up and running mainly playing the following:

-Doom 2016. I know, late to the party. Even with 1050ti card looks great, wish I was a natural at shooters.
-Witcher 2. So far only in the arena "free for all" combat. Seems easier than Witcher 1, graphics look good.
-Wolfenstein the New Order. Just got this, have yet to fire it up. Anyone vouch for it?

I loved Wolfenstein The New Order. I also loved The Old Blood and The New Colossus. If you want to play them in timeline order, start with The Old Blood, but it's not critical that you do.

Not sure why The New Colossus gets panned, I thought it was just as entertaining as the other two. Lots more cutscenes but so what? The gameplay is just as good plus you get more storyline filler.

Finally fired up Wolfenstein The New Order, graphics pretty nice for a 6 year old game. Shooting in the gun turret is cool.
Jumping out of the plane onto another is proving problematic however, practice makes perfect I guess.

The texture pop-in (from low res to high res versions) in the New Order drive me nuts. No amount of tweaks totally got rid of it -- just lessened. It's not really textures in front of you as you run forward but rather that if you spin around you can see it pretty noticeably. I can stand in one spot and if I spin around fast I can often see it. Yikes.

Reply 2142 of 5847, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-08-25, 03:55:
buckeye wrote on 2020-08-24, 14:45:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-08-19, 22:29:

I loved Wolfenstein The New Order. I also loved The Old Blood and The New Colossus. If you want to play them in timeline order, start with The Old Blood, but it's not critical that you do.

Not sure why The New Colossus gets panned, I thought it was just as entertaining as the other two. Lots more cutscenes but so what? The gameplay is just as good plus you get more storyline filler.

Finally fired up Wolfenstein The New Order, graphics pretty nice for a 6 year old game. Shooting in the gun turret is cool.
Jumping out of the plane onto another is proving problematic however, practice makes perfect I guess.

The texture pop-in (from low res to high res versions) in the New Order drive me nuts. No amount of tweaks totally got rid of it -- just lessened. It's not really textures in front of you as you run forward but rather that if you spin around you can see it pretty noticeably. I can stand in one spot and if I spin around fast I can often see it. Yikes.

Yup that sounds like the rage engine.

Reply 2144 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-08-26, 01:52:

I don't get it -- why isn't that just a setting that can be turned on and off to increase/decrease performance? So annoying!

It's inherent to the megatexture technology. How much VRAM do you have, by the way?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2145 of 5847, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got Witcher 3 (Game of the year version) on sale from GOG for 14.99, figured with my current gpu (1050ti) it would
crawl. To my suprise at medium settings it stayed at 60fps, cool.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2146 of 5847, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-08-26, 06:09:
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-08-26, 01:52:

I don't get it -- why isn't that just a setting that can be turned on and off to increase/decrease performance? So annoying!

It's inherent to the megatexture technology. How much VRAM do you have, by the way?

6GB but that seems irrelevant since the console command can only be forced to utilize 1024MB it seems? Also there is a 'tweak' that involves creating the cache folder for textures on your hard drive (solid state drive in this case) since the game doens't make one. It's about 1GB and I wonder why it needs such a cache folder at all -- stuff those suckers in my VRAM dammit!

Reply 2147 of 5847, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been playing Age of Empires II HD version and Freecell 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2148 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been messing around with The Outer Worlds again and had the same experience as the first time around - looks great, good writing and characters, interesting-ish setting, fun and refined mechanics, but it just lacks whatever makes an RPG an RPG. It's all style and no substance... or something. I haven't even gotten off the first planet and I'm bored with it.

Sigh.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2149 of 5847, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been playing Project Cars 2 and other racing games having finally set up my steering wheel G29 with shifter. This has taken over my retro desk entirely too!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2150 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing through Doom 3 again after 16 years since its release, but this time the BFG edition DRM free from GOG. Something about this game's atmosphere from the sound design to the little details in each room with all the moving machinery parts is still very intoxicating. The subtle BFG edition graphical improvements makes it a beautiful sight to behold all over again. After this it will be the 2017 edition of Prey which many refer to as the unofficial System Shock 3. I've been told if I like the dark foreboding sci-fi atmosphere of System Shock, Doom 3, Dead Space, etc. I'm really going to like Prey 2017. Looking forward to it.

Reply 2153 of 5847, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently Playing:

Doom Eternal - Heard this was unliked by some people due to the way the mechanics narrow the gameplay however I'm about 6 hours in and haven't really felt that way and am enjoying it much.

HALO (Collection) - Just finished playing HALO 3 on PC, enjoyed it, playing all the HALOs back to back in the correct order as they are released has been great, you can really see how the DNA of the original game stuck through the sequals in it's arcade like approach to encounters. It's been great.

God of War - Still working on this one, very enjoyable but I've been distracted by other games off and on, I usually try to play only one game at a time but I've not been observing that recently...

Operencia - Think I must be getting very close to the end of this one, it has been great but the battles are all becoming slogs at this point, maybe I've done something wrong with my party, I should try a new group makeup and see if that helps. Perhaps I'm not taking full advantage of all the characters.

Yoshi's Crafted World - Just finished this one Friday, it was fun if a little light, but the world is entertaining and the challenges difficult enough to keep your interest.

Reply 2155 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-08-30, 15:50:

I heard the bfg edition made almost everything worse.

You heard right, IMO.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2156 of 5847, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2020-08-23, 11:58:

Been using win95/win98 to test some DOSBox improvements and most of the time "testing" involves either Starcraft or Dune 2000. But D2K has a weird problem; every time I finish mission 1 (for any house) it goes back to the map screen and offers the same missions again, making it impossible to progress. Not sure if it's an emulation bug or maybe some sort of copy protection but I can't find any mention of it anywhere on the web.

It looks like this was a copy protection issue; I wrote a proper protected mode CD driver (instead of using a DOS real mode driver+mscdex) and the problem is solved.

Reply 2157 of 5847, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-08-31, 08:28:
kolderman wrote on 2020-08-30, 15:50:

I heard the bfg edition made almost everything worse.

You heard right, IMO.

BFG Edition was basically a port for the newer generation consoles. It didn't improve anything - adding a torch strap only made the game less atmospheric and terrifying. They messed with Doom 3, Metro (redux editions) and now Crysis. Not exactly upgrades, just ports.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 2158 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm in the home stretch of Wizardry 8! In Ascension Peak and the 2nd of 3 regions before the endgame battle with the Dark Savant. I hope to have a report this weekend in the List the Games You've Beaten post. So far my characters are level 20-22, not sure if I need to grind them up a bit more (we'll soon find out!) and I'm 141 hours into it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2159 of 5847, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Iris030380 wrote on 2020-09-03, 09:21:

BFG Edition was basically a port for the newer generation consoles. It didn't improve anything - adding a torch strap only made the game less atmospheric and terrifying.

It's kind of weird that the flashlight as a dedicated weapon was the #1 complaint of the original Doom3 and there was the popularity of the duct tape mod for it, and now that the mod's ascended to the new release, it's very unwelcome. 🤣

It did add an effective motion blur effect which does add to the experience for certain 60hz monitors though... though most of BFG's complaints came around from when it originally came out since that led to Zenimax to pull the original Doom3 out of digital storefronts (for a while).

apsosig.png
long live PCem