VOGONS

Reply 820 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Enchurito wrote on 2020-08-25, 03:41:

Has anyone else been able to order one of these recently?

Hello! Thanks for pointing out this form mistake I will look into it.
I will send you a link with the correct form 😀

edit: link fixed!!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 821 of 894, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Enchurito wrote on 2020-08-25, 03:41:

Has anyone else been able to order one of these recently?

Try PM'ing keropi directly, he will help you out 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 822 of 894, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received my PCMIDI card today, arrived safe and secure and had it installed and working in just a few minutes. 😀

I'm happy to report that Spirit of Excalibur and Conan of Cimmeria work fine (both run on the same engine, so I suspect Vengeance of Excalibur also)! This was my #1 reason for buying this card, as neither game functions properly (or at all...) when MIDI is piped to the gameport on any soundcard I tried (AWE32, AWE64, and ESS Audiodrive), even if SoftMPU is used.

The ultimate test, Wing Commander 1, runs fine but sound effects are wrong (bells instead of gunfire). I have read this has problems on genuine Music Quest cards, too, if the PC running the game is too fast. I have my caches disabled and am running at effectively high end 386 speed, but it's perhaps still too fast, which is causing the problem. Running SoftMPU, for whatever reason (even configured incorrectly!), fixes the problem. 😀 (Wing Commander runs perfectly fine, this was user error 🤣)

Anyway, I posted some of this in another thread, but wanted to post here as well and to thank keropi for a great product!

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2020-10-02, 13:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 823 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the kind words newtmonkey!
weird , I was only getting the WC wrong instruments when the system speed is too high and the game's driver goes berserk
older MQ firmware versions had a bug that froze WC in the intro at the fireworks scene but v010 fixed that
what is your system's config? maybe it needs further delays - have you tried something like moslo?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 824 of 894, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2020-10-02, 11:22:

thanks for the kind words newtmonkey!

Hello keropi, thank you for replying!
I am 99% certain that I just need to slow my PC down, possibly with moslo. It's a P133 but can be throttled down to roughly 386-40 speed if I disable both caches. WC1 runs at the proper speed at this setting, but it might still be too fast for sending the sysex message properly.

I'll experiment around with moslo, it might just be a matter of slowing it down a few % points to get it working.

[EDIT] The system speed was actually not the problem, it was my own stupid fault haha. I forgot that I had set up a batch file for launching WC that first started up SoftMPU. Needless to say, if I just launch WC normally it works perfectly fine sound effects and all 🤣.

Reply 825 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hah! nice that you caught this - I thought you had some pentium2+ system 🤣
well... enjoy!!!!

Reply 826 of 894, by Fanatik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying to diagnose a freezing issue with World of Xeen on my 386 with a 486slxc2 cpu. I am using an Ess Audiodrive card, a PC Midi card, a Roland Mt32 and CM64l. I will also mention that the cd rom is ran through the header on the ESS. The game only freezes when using the MT32 or cm64l, never when installed with Soundblaster or SB Pro as the designated music cards. I've also noticed it usually freezes more often after playing for a while. Before freezing or crashing the music instruments begin to change to the incorrect instruments. Shortly after it'll freeze, I restart the computer and it'll freeze again. It happens most frequently in towns, switching stores. I've tried changing the irq on the ESS sound card from 5 to 7, no change. I've ran it with no sound effects, only the Roland for music, still freezes. Another issue I have found is that I have the PC Midi card jumpered to port 330,I must select port 320 in my EssCfg file in order for it to work. Port 330 doesn't work. I've tried port 300, but it won't play audio with that setting either. I've tried it in both of my Tandys, one is a SX/33 and the other is a Model 10 486sx. Thoughts?

Reply 827 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fanatik wrote on 2020-12-13, 16:15:

[...]
Another issue I have found is that I have the PC Midi card jumpered to port 330,I must select port 320 in my EssCfg file in order for it to work. Port 330 doesn't work. I've tried port 300, but it won't play audio with that setting either. I've tried it in both of my Tandys, one is a SX/33 and the other is a Model 10 486sx. Thoughts?

Don't know what is happening with World of Xeen I never had an issue with it - are you sure the game files are correct?
It could also be a weird bug with the 486SXLC2 cpu or something , did you try with cache disabled to see if this still happens?

But I cannot understand the other issue you have, with the ports and soundcard.
If you have PCMIDI at port330 then you cannot have the ESS card use port 330 too - you need to set it to something else preferably port300 (why does it not work? do you have a XT-IDE CF adapter at that port?)
Please make sure that port 330 and IRQ2 are truly free on your systems - I have no experience with Tandy systems but a normal 386/486 won't have an issue with either resource.

Reply 828 of 894, by Fanatik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I realized my error, I was trying to enable port 330 on the waveblaster port, which caused a conflict with the PC midi. I disabled port 330 on the Ess header and now the PC midi is working at port 33. It is still freezing however. You may not have played the game long enough to encounter this issue. A good way to test it is to enter and exit stores in town and leave and enter the town itself a few times. Eventually them instruments will be wrong or the music stops playback, shortly after the game will freeze. I tried the PC midi in a 486sx system as well, same thing. It is the original CD Boxed copy of the game.

Reply 829 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have sent you my game installed from my original disks
also what mouse driver are you using?

Reply 831 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is it 2.04 or 1.93 ?
try the other version of the one you are using - several people (including me) had issues with both sierra and lucas games with ctmouse in the past , it was unrelated to any sound hardware used but related to how CTMOUSE was working in each system ... infact I had random freezing issues with ctmouse in both monkey island talkie and space quest 4 and ctmouse was the culprit

Reply 833 of 894, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Apollonios wrote on 2021-01-21, 01:23:

where can i find the updates for this card?

Updates?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 834 of 894, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My guess for a new batch or something.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 835 of 894, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently picked up one of these. I have an X2 attached to it and it works great in DOS and is nice and silent. I'm having issues getting it to work in Win98. I have it jumpered 330 2/9. What device am I trying to install it as? I've tried installing it as a Microsoft MPU 401 Compatible and I also tried installing it as a MusicQuest MPU401 Compatible. The issue is I can't assign IRQ2 in the device resources.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

Reply 836 of 894, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any cards that are using IRQ 2/9 at the moment? If so, change the IRQ for that card.

Reply 837 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chances are it's the ACPI controller that is hardwired to IRQ2, reverting back to APM in BIOS will solve this issue (if it is ACPI related that is...)

Reply 838 of 894, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forgot ACPI is the main factor as well of the IRQ2/9 being used. Great tip, keropi.

Reply 839 of 894, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it going in the end and its a strange one. Originally when I was trying to install the card I was selecting a Music Quest Clone. IRQ 2 was not actually selectable. I turned ACPI off but still couldn't get it going. Also I was having issues with my other cards after turning off ACPI. Anyways I blitzed the system and stared fresh.

I manged to get to a point where it was installed at P330 and showed up as ROLAND MPU-401 Compatible. But then next issue was I have a Turtle Beach Malibu installed too (P320) and this was conflicting (maybe because they were using the same driver?). If the Malibu MPU was enabled it would output to that no matter what I would select. I disabled the Malibu MPU then I could hear the X2.

In the end I used the GS-Panel driver in the MPU docs/drivers packs. I now have the MQ Clone (330 2/9), Malibu (320) and AWE32 with Korg (300) all working together. Got there in the end and ACPI is on too 😀

I love being able to run the X2 simultaneously with an external module. So cool. I actually own an original Music Quest MPU401 but the Keropi one is so much better. Its possible to run 3 Midi devices at once with this card? Wavetable/DB9/Mini Jack

JGyBPB7l.jpg