VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

In continuity with this thread: Buying a Soltek SL-65KV2-T socket 370 motherboard - what are the best/most adequate Pentium III CPU for it?

I would like to ask for your help regarding the graphics card for a Windows 98SE build based on:

- MSI 815 EPT Pro motherboard with 512mb RAM (I ended up buying this one instead of the Soltek)

- PIII-S Tualatin 1400mhz 512 cache processor (I saw that with the latest 7.4 BIOS it is possible to run this processor on the MSI board)

I was kindly advised on some Nvidia cards for this build in the previous thread, however I am finding it very difficult to find the advised models locally.

Trying to expand my choices, could you please advise me on some more ATI / Nvidia models that would push this PC as far as it could go?

My board is AGP 2/4x, will that be a problem with an AGP 8x card? Not actually knowing the limits and intricancies is hindering the search also, I think.

DOS games are not a priority, I would just like the most powerful graphics card possible to go along with the processor, in the lines of the "ultimate Win98SE build" from the era.

As always, thank you so much for your replies.

Reply 1 of 46, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AGP 7950GT - good luck finding one for anything less than the cost of a kidney though.

Really though, you will not want that card as it has support for palletized textures. Ideally, you would want to get a Geforce FX card is you are going to be playing older games that use palletized textures.
Plus, with a newer gen card you are going to be severely CPU limited.

The AGP speed doesn't matter as much as the voltage though.

You will want to look for universal AGP cards.... both notches in the AGP connector.... and only the better brands unless you can confirm that the card actually supports the different voltages as some cards and some motherboards back then were not made to specs and you can fry one or both if you use the wrong type of card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 46, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATI : Radeon X800/X850 series unofficially or Radeon 9800XT officially.
Nvidia: original non-bridged GeForce 6800 series card with an early driver (safe option) or GeForce 7800GS/7950GT (not safe option, might have problems with new drivers).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 46, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-08-28, 21:16:

ATI : Radeon X800/X850 series unofficially or Radeon 9800XT officially.
Nvidia: original non-bridged GeForce 6800 series card with an early driver (safe option) or GeForce 7800GS/7950GT (not safe option, might have problems with new drivers).

Thank you for the fast replies, I will have more luck finding ATI models than Nvidia I think.

However locally the Nvidia FX5200 is the easier card to find, but from what I searched it is not regarded as a good card. Am I wrong?

P.S.: Nice Disturbed reference!

Last edited by andre_6 on 2020-08-28, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Geforce 6 family cards (6600 and 6600GT at least) are unstable under Windows 98SE on my 815EP with all driver versions I have tried.

Geforce FX 5900 is fine . FX 5900 XT , which also work fine, can be found easily at, IMHO, decent prices .

Reply 5 of 46, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-28, 21:20:

Geforce 6 family cards (6600 and 6600GT at least) are unstable under Windows 98SE on my 815EP with all driver versions I have tried.

Geforce FX 5900 is fine . FX 5900 XT , which also work fine, can be found easily at, IMHO, decent prices .

Hello darry, had to return for even more help! Followed your advice on getting the Tualatin, thanks again

Reply 6 of 46, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 6600 also use HSI bridge, so it's predictable that they'll have quirks with old chipsets.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-08-28, 21:41:

GeForce 6600 also use HSI bridge, so it's predictable that they'll have quirks with old chipsets.

And that bridge chip gets hot too . It probably isn't worth it for my setup (Tualatin 1400 512K), but if I could get my hands on an early non-bridged AGP Geforce 6800 family member, I would definitely try it .

Reply 8 of 46, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andre_6 wrote on 2020-08-28, 21:20:

However locally the Nvidia FX5200 is the easier card to find, but from what I searched it is not regarded as a good card. Am I wrong?

If you want to push your system as much as possible, FX5200 will not do that. It is very low end and not the latest generation you could run, much less power than other cards that have been recommended.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 9 of 46, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, so I guess I will have to look for an FX5900 or higher if I want to really push it. I would be tempted to try the AGP Geforce 6800, but how would I know if it is non-bridged? Does that mean a card without the SLI connections, so to speak?

Reply 10 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andre_6 wrote on 2020-08-28, 22:52:

Thanks, so I guess I will have to look for an FX5900 or higher if I want to really push it. I would be tempted to try the AGP Geforce 6800, but how would I know if it is non-bridged? Does that mean a card without the SLI connections, so to speak?

AFAIK :

Early versions of the Geforce 6800 family were natively AGP and required a bridge chip when used on a PCI Express card . No bridge chip was required on an AGP card .

Later versions of the Geforce 6800 family were natively PCI Express and required a bridge chip when used on an AGP card . No bridge chip was required on a PCI Express card .

The physical SLI connector/bridge is distinct from the aforementioned bridge chip .

Reply 13 of 46, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pixel_workbench wrote on 2020-08-29, 00:00:

MSI 815 EPT Pro has universal AGP, it should be voltage compatible with any AGP card.

Regarding the board, a few questions please:

I saw that I need to update the BIOS to version 7.4 to support the Tualatin 1400mhz 512k. I never updated a BIOS before.

Is that the same procedure for all boards of the same socket, or is every board brand different? I saw a tutorial putting the bios files in a floppy and booting from it. I assume that was the standard procedure?

And finally, do I need to apply thermal paste to the Tualatin cpu? If so, in which way/area? I'm still looking to find a compatible cooler.

Reply 15 of 46, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-08-29, 00:07:

If you are benchmarking in windows 98, the geforce 4 cards tend to perform best because of the driver overhead of later cards. This is true even if you are using a faster CPU.

I don't have much experience as you probably realised, so would you recommend a GeForce 4 Ti variant over an FX5900 for example? I have a GeForce 4 MX440, but Vogons taught me that the MX line it's not the same as the other Geforce 4 ones.

I'm looking for the best possible performance to respect the CPU speed, I'm particularly curious to see the difference in playing SimCity 3000 and Quake III Arena after I complete the build. Even Outlaws ran slowly in my previous Celeron 600mhz / obscure Supergrace board/ GeForce 4 MX440 build.

Last edited by andre_6 on 2020-08-29, 00:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pixel_workbench wrote on 2020-08-29, 00:00:

MSI 815 EPT Pro has universal AGP, it should be voltage compatible with any AGP card.

AGP compatibility will not be an issue, but instability under Windows 98 SE on an 815EP using an AGP Geforce 6000 family card (at least those using a PCI Express to AGP bridge) is a known issue, AFAIK .

Reply 17 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andre_6 wrote on 2020-08-29, 00:19:

If you are benchmarking in windows 98, the geforce 4 cards tend to perform best because of the driver overhead of later cards. This is true even if you are using a faster CPU.

I don't have much experience as you probably realised, so would you recommend a GeForce 4 Ti variant over an FX5900 for example? I have a GeForce 4 MX440, but Vogons thaught me that the MX line it's not the same as the other Geforce 4 ones

I'm looking for the best possible performance to respect the CPU speed, I'm particularly curious to see the difference in playing SimCity 3000 and Quake III Arena after I complete the build. Even Outlaws ran slowly in my previous Celeron 600mhz / obscure Supergrace board/ GeForce 4 MX440 build.

The Geforce FX 5900 is definitely a faster card than the Geforce 4 Ti . However they will both likely be bottlenecked by the CPU (which is what you want if you want maximize the CPU's abilities) , so it's hard for me to say what the speed difference would be on your CPU . I'm almost certain somebody has compared these graphics chips with a Tualatin and posted results on Vogons .

Reply 18 of 46, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-29, 00:28:
andre_6 wrote on 2020-08-29, 00:19:

I don't have much experience as you probably realised, so would you recommend a GeForce 4 Ti variant over an FX5900 for example? I have a GeForce 4 MX440, but Vogons thaught me that the MX line it's not the same as the other Geforce 4 ones

The Geforce FX 5900 is definitely a faster card than the Geforce 4 Ti . However they will both likely be bottlenecked by the CPU (which is what you want if you want maximize the CPU's abilities) , so it's hard for me to say what the speed difference would be on your CPU . I'm almost certain somebody has compared these graphics chips with a Tualatin and posted results on Vogons .

Will look for it, thanks.

Having a Tualatin yourself, how do you apply thermal paste to it, if at all? Do you put a little paste on the center like with the Coppermine cores, or something else? Every build I see on Youtube skips that step and just shows the cpu/heatsink/cooler combo mounted, so I don't even know if there's thermal paste there

Reply 19 of 46, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always put a rice grain sized drop of thermal paste in the center of the cpu, and place the cooler on top, which will spread it out.

As far as video cards, if you're not dead set on having the ultimate possible hardware just for the sake of having it, a Gf4 mx is a decent card for windows 98 games. Gf6 requires a later driver, which causes buggy graphics in some games, like Need for Speed 3, for example. And a Pentium3 is too slow to fully utilize a Gf6, so you'll never see it perform like a Gf6 would in a faster system. A Geforce4 ti4200 would be a more useful choice for a Pentium3, and not crazy expensive. You can also try a Radeon 9600pro, it as fast as the most expensive Geforce 4, but typically even cheaper.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718