Topic actions

Reply 1940 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-07-26, 11:54:

Wow, PC-98 emulation, that's very interesting ! 😁

It seems that there were a lot of updates to the PC-98 line over the years, how is it managed inside DOSBox-X emulation-wise ?

It's handled as a machine type, like anything else in the codebase, and the video mode as it's own enumeration.

It is enabled by adding to dosbox.conf machine=pc98

Though it has no effect now, there is code to support machine=pc9801 and machine=pc9821.

There are dosbox.conf options to make adjustments for some differences.

You will need FONT.ROM from a BIOS image of a system for fully correct rendering, though DOSBox-X has a fallback that was rendered from a Windows system by a contributer otherwise.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1941 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@TheGreatCodeholio: I noticed that litchie from iDOS/DOSPad app for iOS might be open to having a look on DOSBox-X or SVN latest version for updating his iDOS emulator app. Not sure if you'd be interested in working with him to bring the best possible DOS/Win9x emulation to iOS/iPadOS, since now the latest Apple devices have more than enough processing power for the job. For gaming on the go (and even 3DFx/Glide games) it would be amazing.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1942 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-08-01, 20:33:

@TheGreatCodeholio: I noticed that litchie from iDOS/DOSPad app for iOS might be open to having a look on DOSBox-X or SVN latest version for updating his iDOS emulator app. Not sure if you'd be interested in working with him to bring the best possible DOS/Win9x emulation to iOS/iPadOS, since now the latest Apple devices have more than enough processing power for the job. For gaming on the go (and even 3DFx/Glide games) it would be amazing.

Assuming the app is already based on DOSBox, changes from DOSBox-X could be integrated in small steps. DOSBox-X has diverged quite a lot from SVN so that might require quite a bit of work. It might be less work on his behalf to incorporate incremental changes from SVN, DOSBox-X, or the dosbox-staging repositories, and carefully.

Anything that is wanted from DOSBox-X, let me know, I may be able to help integrate it safely without breaking code, and explain why DOSBox-X does what it does.

Case in point, in a recent commit it turns out (pointed out by Foone on Twitter) the MS-DOS port of Mr. Blobby accidentally clears a bit that was used on old EGA/VGA boards to indicate whether the board had more than 64KB of VRAM or not (affects memory wrapping). Since DOSBox-X actually bothers to emulate the behavior of that bit, the game did not display correctly. Yet according to real hardware 256-color mode seems unaffected by it, so to fix the issue DOSBox-X added an option to ignore the bit if emulating VGA.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1943 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-08-01, 20:46:
Assuming the app is already based on DOSBox, changes from DOSBox-X could be integrated in small steps. DOSBox-X has diverged qui […]
Show full quote
Bruninho wrote on 2020-08-01, 20:33:

Assuming the app is already based on DOSBox, changes from DOSBox-X could be integrated in small steps. DOSBox-X has diverged quite a lot from SVN so that might require quite a bit of work. It might be less work on his behalf to incorporate incremental changes from SVN, DOSBox-X, or the dosbox-staging repositories, and carefully.

Anything that is wanted from DOSBox-X, let me know, I may be able to help integrate it safely without breaking code, and explain why DOSBox-X does what it does.

Case in point, in a recent commit it turns out (pointed out by Foone on Twitter) the MS-DOS port of Mr. Blobby accidentally clears a bit that was used on old EGA/VGA boards to indicate whether the board had more than 64KB of VRAM or not (affects memory wrapping). Since DOSBox-X actually bothers to emulate the behavior of that bit, the game did not display correctly. Yet according to real hardware 256-color mode seems unaffected by it, so to fix the issue DOSBox-X added an option to ignore the bit if emulating VGA.

That’s good to know. I’ll link your post to him so I can try to let him know. Meanwhile, his project is here on this github repo. https://github.com/litchie/dospad

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1944 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just came in to tell that I compiled the latest DOSBOX-X on my macOS with SDL2 and I had an yellow tint screen when running Windows 3.11. I'm compiling with SDL1 now as we speak to see if the same problem happens there too. With SDL2 version I am also unable to go full screen; instead it just reduces the height of my screen in an animated fashion and then moves the DOSBOX-X window below the old position on my desktop.

EDIT: turns out that compiling with build-macos instead of build-macos-sdl2 fixed both issues.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1945 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-08-30, 07:12:

Just came in to tell that I compiled the latest DOSBOX-X on my macOS with SDL2 and I had an yellow tint screen when running Windows 3.11. I'm compiling with SDL1 now as we speak to see if the same problem happens there too. With SDL2 version I am also unable to go full screen; instead it just reduces the height of my screen in an animated fashion and then moves the DOSBOX-X window below the old position on my desktop.

EDIT: turns out that compiling with build-macos instead of build-macos-sdl2 fixed both issues.

While SDL2 isn't too special on Mac OS X, SDL1 has to deal with the Cocoa display interface that uses a BGRA pixel channel order, meaning that for a 32-bit pixel, the B channel is in the upper 8 bits and A (alpha) is in the lower 8 bits.

Reply 1946 of 2397, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi - it has been suggested i post here in this thread - i had posted in the dosbox games section being that its in relation to a game, but apparently that isnot the right place, - so here is my query regarding Dosbox-x and memory settings for running UEFA Champions League 96/97 in its dos 3dfx mode

Hi!
I got the cdrom for UEFA Champions League 96/97 and have installed and it the normal VESA version looks to run fine - a bit fast but i can tweak that.

The game however also has 3dfx settings for dos too and i see that Dosbox-x (a build that i believe is supported and so i hopefully would be scolded here for mentioning it) has voodoo and glide functionality in it - and i know that other similar builds (now unsupported ones so i wont say the name) did allow me to run Prost Grand Prix in dos 3dfx mode

so bearing all that in mind, i run the UEFA3DFX.exe but then get a message that i have low memory and see that more that 16mb is needed; I go into the config GUI and put athe memsize as 32 and vmemsize as 8 - i try the exe again and it still says low memory and says that 915040 bytes minimum is needed

Although its likely that no one else here has this game per se, i am hoping maybe someone can say if there is something else i need to do to increase the memory in dosbox-x

Also the game readme has the following info (see below) - somethng about SMARTDRV - is there some corresponding setting in dosbox for this?

"3DFX

The 3DFX version will run in Win95 on a 16Mb machine, but the DOS version
requires more than 16Mb to work. This is because the program needs either more
RAM or Windows95 Virtual Memory turned on.
In Win95, select the UEFA3DFX icon from the UEFA97 menu.
To run the game from DOS, type 'UEFA3DFX' at the command prompt

Low Memory Configurations

If you have less than 24Mb RAM and you are using SMARTDRIVE, remove line 'SMARTDRV' from AUTOEXEC.bat file
Note on a 16Mb machine, disabling SMARTDRIVE may not be necessary if you are ONLY going to run the game in Windows 95

If the error 'Not Enough Dos Environment Space to set the DOS4GWM
environment variable' appears after installing the game on an 8meg machine
The following courses of action could be taken.

1. Put in config.sys a line similar to the following
shell=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:1024
This assumes that command.com is on the root of drive C otherwise give
the full path eg:
shell=C:\Windows\COMMAND.COM /E:1024

2. Run a new version from the DOS prompt eg as follows:
c:\command.com /E:1024 <enter>
or c:\Windows\command.com etc if command.com is not on the root of C

This should create enough environment space"

Reply 1947 of 2397, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having trouble with the mouse tracking speed in the macOS SDL1 build of DOSBox-X. When I run in my native 'retina' resolution of 5120x2880 in fullscreen mode, the mouse tracking speed is about 50% of what it should be, compared to the same default settings in DOSBox SVN (i.e. I use "100%" mouse sensitivity in both).

In vanilla DOSBox I get the normal tracking speed no matter what resolution or graphic output mode I set. In DOSBox-X I can only get normal tracking speed when using half my normal full screen resolution (i.e. 2560x144o).

Does anyone else have access to a Mac with a retina screen to test this issue?

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 1948 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
almeath wrote on 2020-10-12, 05:52:

I am having trouble with the mouse tracking speed in the macOS SDL1 build of DOSBox-X. When I run in my native 'retina' resolution of 5120x2880 in fullscreen mode, the mouse tracking speed is about 50% of what it should be, compared to the same default settings in DOSBox SVN (i.e. I use "100%" mouse sensitivity in both).

In vanilla DOSBox I get the normal tracking speed no matter what resolution or graphic output mode I set. In DOSBox-X I can only get normal tracking speed when using half my normal full screen resolution (i.e. 2560x144o).

Does anyone else have access to a Mac with a retina screen to test this issue?

This is a known issue with DOSBox-X and it's "High DPI awareness".

Reply 1949 of 2397, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a known issue with DOSBox-X and it's "High DPI awareness".

Ahh, I see now. I have set mouse emulation to "always" and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 😉

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 1950 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Agathosdaimon: I have tried the UEFA3DFX game you mentioned, and this does allow me to run it correctly:

dosbox-x -defaultconf -set memsize=32

If you have further questions, please post it in the DOSBox-X issue tracker, and hopefully you will receive help more quickly there:

https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues

Thanks!

Reply 1952 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-10-13, 06:35:

thanks Wengier

but what is this line? "dosbox-x -defaultconf -set memsize=32" - where do i enter this?

What operating system do you use, and how do you generally launch DOSBox-X on your system (e.g. from the command line or from for example the Windows start menu)? The above command is for starting DOSBox-X from the command line.

Reply 1953 of 2397, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ah right - i thought i might be a command line on a shortcut - i made a shortcut for dosbox-x and put it in and actually set it to 64 because the 3DFX mode - which is now working thank you btw - is unfortunately quite slow. There must be some other setting that will fix this surely.

curious that when i started Dosbox-x before and just changed the memory from the configuration GUI - UEFA3DFX was still saying not enough memory, but if i do the command like you provided, then it works - perhaps i need to do that for some other settings too

Reply 1954 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Agathosdaimon: Memory size cannot be changed at run-time. If you change the memory from the Configuration GUI (it is named Configuration Tool in the latest DOSBox-X version), be sure to click the "Save" button to save it. When you restart DOSBox-X the memory setting should be applied automatically.

Reply 1955 of 2397, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay thanks i didnt know that - i have htough now just been add on the -set xxxx commands in the command line - still even with 96mb ram, 8mb vmem, pentium mmx, max cycles the game runs slowly in the matches when running the 3dfxuefa.exe - is there another setting i can try in dosbox-x to increase the performance power, or is something else possibly the culprit?
the match game is not so slow as to be unplayable but slow enough to make it seem quite easy - compared to the normal speed of the game in the Vesa setting

Reply 1956 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-10-13, 22:37:

okay thanks i didnt know that - i have htough now just been add on the -set xxxx commands in the command line - still even with 96mb ram, 8mb vmem, pentium mmx, max cycles the game runs slowly in the matches when running the 3dfxuefa.exe - is there another setting i can try in dosbox-x to increase the performance power, or is something else possibly the culprit?
the match game is not so slow as to be unplayable but slow enough to make it seem quite easy - compared to the normal speed of the game in the Vesa setting

Agathosdaimon: Playing 3dfx games with the low-level internal 3dfx hardware emulation will indeed be slow. However, if the game can be played with the high-level Glide emulation, then it will be MUCH faster. Please see this Wiki page for more details about 3dfx in DOSBox-X:

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%3ASetting-up- … OSBox%E2%80%90X

Reply 1958 of 2397, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muz wrote on 2020-10-16, 03:09:

Is the method above here functional?

DOSBox-X has developed considerably in the last eight years, so why don't you download DOSBox-X and see for yourself?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-17, 00:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1959 of 2397, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox-X can mount ISO for Windows 95? I just like to install an ISO game of Windows 95 in DOSBox... I have tried the method above, but in DOSBox-X

it says "Must specify drive letter to mount image at."

Attachments

• command_000.png
    Filename
    command_000.png
    File size
    13.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain