VOGONS

Common searches

Is anyone excited for Big Navi?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 264, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The density on the 8nm node uses in the 3000 series is twice as dense as the 12nm used on the 2000 series. The performance on the 3070 is rumored to be close to a 2080ti, to say nothing of the 3080 and 3090. And the pricing is reasonable too. I'm excited.

I haven't upgraded PC since I bought a GTX 1080 in June of 2016. With Ryzen 4000 and the GTX 3000 series releasing at the same time, I think I am going to upgrade soon.

Reply 21 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

30 series will run better with faster parts so intel will be the best performing cpu to pair with, but I wouldn't care to quible over what is probably 2% or so unless I'm chasing benchmarks. Since Nvidia demoed it on PCI express 3.0 I'm betting 4.0 won't provide any benefit, or they likely would have siezed upon that to improve their numbers.

Reply 22 of 264, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-02, 23:21:

30 series will run better with faster parts so intel will be the best performing cpu to pair with, but I wouldn't care to quible over what is probably 2% or so unless I'm chasing benchmarks. Since Nvidia demoed it on PCI express 3.0 I'm betting 4.0 won't provide any benefit, or they likely would have siezed upon that to improve their numbers.

I'd say the opposite is true. Best advice, is to reserve judgement until proper reviews can be done. Gamer's Nexus comes to mind here. They specifically mentioned this 3.0 vs 4.0 difference the other day.

Intel isn't a competitor for nvidia, at least not directly. AMD/ATI IS. Their (nvidia's) numbers are already shockingly impressive. I dare say they are borderline impossible. A near 80% improvement and CHEAPER? That's something I would expect a scammer to say. If they even hint at an advantage for AMD processors, nvidia loses "mindshare". I'd wager nvidia knows they are in the lead by a comfortable margin, and to not mention voldemort's name, only benefits them. Even if it's only a mention about a CPU platform.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23 of 264, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I've been running an EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra for the last year on my Windows 7 64 Ryzen setup and it has been nothing but rock solid stable. EVGA at its factory OC best. The 3090 looks amazeballs, but I just can't do $1500. I think my card will hold up with the newest games for at least another year or two considering I currently game at 1080p. I will look forward to the lucky few here that get their hands on a 3090 so we can see this glorious performance beast. I mean they're talking 8K60FPS with a 3090. Does anyone here even have an 8K monitor?

Last edited by liqmat on 2020-09-03, 00:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 264, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$100 says they will release additional versions of the card once AMD releases theirs.

On a side note, I am REALLY rooting for AMD. However, it feels like Nvidia took out their *REDACTED* and slapped AMD across the face saying, "Whatcha gonna do about it?".

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-09-02, 23:39:
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-02, 23:21:

I'd say the opposite is true. Best advice, is to reserve judgement until proper reviews can be done. Gamer's Nexus comes to mind here. They specifically mentioned this 3.0 vs 4.0 difference the other day.

Intel isn't a competitor for nvidia, at least not directly. AMD/ATI IS. Their (nvidia's) numbers are already shockingly impressive. I dare say they are borderline impossible. A near 80% improvement and CHEAPER? That's something I would expect a scammer to say. If they even hint at an advantage for AMD processors, nvidia loses "mindshare". I'd wager nvidia knows they are in the lead by a comfortable margin, and to not mention voldemort's name, only benefits them. Even if it's only a mention about a CPU platform.

Could be, though history tends to show that nothing takes advantage of a newly released bus for a while. Though, we will see =).

Reply 27 of 264, by Mephusto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am still rocking my 1070 and havent seen a good reason to spend the money on the new cards. But then again I still havent played the new flight simulator either. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I am rocking a 6700k 32gb ram and my 1070 and 1440p is fine for me right now.

Reply 28 of 264, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only 8k monitor I know of is a Dell but it's not for gaming, it's crazy expensive and it's a 32 inch 🤣
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ult … tor-accessories

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 29 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm also interested in PCI-E 3 Vs 4 performance because I went for a X470 motherboard a year ago when I got my 3700X due to the cost of X570 and the chipset fan. I'm hoping for a 3080 it will be OK...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 30 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-09-03, 10:42:

I'm also interested in PCI-E 3 Vs 4 performance because I went for a X470 motherboard a year ago when I got my 3700X due to the cost of X570 and the chipset fan. I'm hoping for a 3080 it will be OK...

Just read a new Nvidia Q&A where they said clock is far more important than PCI-E 4. That doesn't preclude that they are lying though I suppose, but I doubt it since it will be easily verifiable upon independent reviews. They said the 3 vs. 4 amounts to only a couple percent at best depending on the situation.

"Will customers find a performance degradation on PCIE 3.0?

System performance is impacted by many factors and the impact varies between applications. The impact is typically less than a few percent going from a x16 PCIE 4.0 to x16 PCIE 3.0. CPU selection often has a larger impact on performance.We look forward to new platforms that can fully take advantage of Gen4 capabilities for potential performance increases."

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/il … rs_from_nvidia/

Reply 31 of 264, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I might go for a 3080 or possibly 3090. I have a 1080 Ti. The main motivation is to bring complete smoothness to my HP Reverb's 4320x2160 @ 90fps and add some room for supersampling. Frame rate is really critical with VR. But on the other hand there are still very few really interesting VR games and the 1080 Ti hasn't exactly been a crutch.

I don't expect much from PCIe 4 for a few GPU generations. The usual.

I am somewhat surprised these cards don't have more RAM across the product line. I feel like even the 3070 should have at least 11GB like the 1080 Ti. Memory usage isn't going down.

And yeah I have hopes AMD can somehow be competitive.

Reply 32 of 264, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote on 2020-09-03, 17:08:
I might go for a 3080 or possibly 3090. I have a 1080 Ti. The main motivation is to bring complete smoothness to my HP Reverb's […]
Show full quote

I might go for a 3080 or possibly 3090. I have a 1080 Ti. The main motivation is to bring complete smoothness to my HP Reverb's 4320x2160 @ 90fps and add some room for supersampling. Frame rate is really critical with VR. But on the other hand there are still very few really interesting VR games and the 1080 Ti hasn't exactly been a crutch.

I don't expect much from PCIe 4 for a few GPU generations. The usual.

I am somewhat surprised these cards don't have more RAM across the product line. I feel like even the 3070 should have at least 11GB like the 1080 Ti. Memory usage isn't going down.

And yeah I have hopes AMD can somehow be competitive.

If they can make solid (upper) mid-range parts with saner power envelopes at a competitive price, they could make a killing on volume sales .

Reply 33 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They've just launched in the UK and all the online shops have ground to a halt. I'm personally waiting to see what AMD offer as the power consumption puts me off. Also, despite being a big leap (even if it isn't as big a leap as Nvidia were marketing) in performance, the 3080 still can't hit 144fps at 1440p in the year or two old games often benchmarked...

Reply 37 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems they're all on eBay now. Big surprise.

Currently 39 listings ranging from £1,000 to £3,000. These cards are retailing for £650 to £800 I think.

In addition to the 39, 14 have sold, all around the £1,000 mark and they're all the "basic" £650 or £700 models.

Reply 38 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If people are going to be that wasteful with money, they might as well go for the 3090.

One of the eBay listings I saw was actually priced the same as the 3090 will be.

Edit: also something weird is going on with bidding rounds. A lot of cards being really, really excessively priced. eBay should probably look into why some cards are being sold for US $20,100.00.