Common searches

A OpenGL wrapper?

Topic actions

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently I was playing CD release of Quake and just noticed that they had OpenGL as an option. The Bethesda.net version has. As a result I used the CD version but when I tried to increase resolution with the parameters it didn't work. Similarly if I used nGlide or dgVoodoo to use 3Dfx Mini Driver for OpenGL the would freeze. This gave me only way to play game at hardware rendered settings but in low res. Is there any tool to increase the res?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-06, 17:30:

Recently I was playing CD release of Quake and just noticed that they had OpenGL as an option. The Bethesda.net version has. As a result I used the CD version but when I tried to increase resolution with the parameters it didn't work. Similarly if I used nGlide or dgVoodoo to use 3Dfx Mini Driver for OpenGL the would freeze. This gave me only way to play game at hardware rendered settings but in low res. Is there any tool to increase the res?

If you want an authentic 1997 OpenGL experience, install from CD and then install GLQuake . Info and link are here . https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/GLQuake
I don't know if that is what Bethesda.net is providing .

As for custom resolutions, see here

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2310/discussio … 58451417109503/

Reply 2 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-09-06, 17:37:
If you want an authentic 1997 OpenGL experience, install from CD and then install GLQuake . Info and link are here . https://qua […]
Show full quote

If you want an authentic 1997 OpenGL experience, install from CD and then install GLQuake . Info and link are here . https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/GLQuake

Yes the game wont run in Open GL mode without GLQuake. I think it needs a newer version.

Reply 3 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-06, 17:39:
If you want an authentic 1997 OpenGL experience, install from CD and then install GLQuake . Info and link are here . https://qua […]
Show full quote

Yes the game wont run in Open GL mode without GLQuake. I think it needs a newer version.

AFAIK, the issue a wrapper solves is the too big number of gl extensions presented by modern graphics card drivers. There are other ways around that .
https://amp.reddit.com/r/quake/comments/4k8es … run_on_windows/

Reply 4 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-09-06, 17:51:
Show full quote

AFAIK, the issue a wrapper solves is the too big number of gl extensions presented by modern graphics card drivers. There are other ways around that .

The game runs on the default 640x480 Res that the game sets. The game crashes only when I set any setting using parameters. Anyways I will try to decrease the extension count by glquake. The problem doesn't occur in winquake.

In the Reddit forum they mentioned to use nGlide for 3Dfx Mini Driver acceleration, but it just freezes the game for me instead

Reply 6 of 26, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps you forgot about "-window". I just run GLQuake 0.97 on Windows 10 x64 with

GLQUAKE -window -width 1024

And it just worked. I am on NVIDIA GPU, perhaps the driver detected GLQUAKE.EXE and automatically limited GL extensions.

Update: AMD GPU was fine, too, but Intel GPU crashed. An uncapped GL extensions would certainly crash lots of older OpenGL games, but it wasn't very difficult to detect the EXE which called the OpenGL DLL and filter out the extensions from the games. Quake2/Unreal1/UT99 OpenGL all have the same problem.

Well, if someone renamed the EXE, then it was just asking for trouble...

Reply 7 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-06, 18:47:
darry wrote on 2020-09-06, 17:51:

The game runs on the default 640x480 Res that the game sets. The game crashes only when I set any setting using parameters. Anyways I will try to decrease the extension count by glquake. The problem doesn't occur in winquake.
In the Reddit forum they mentioned to use nGlide for 3Dfx Mini Driver acceleration, but it just freezes the game for me instead

That's they way the GOG release works (bundled with 3dfx MiniGL that wraps to Nglide that then wraps to actual Direct3D or Vulkan, I believe) . It's convoluted, but I it seems to work well enough for me, as does renaming the miniGL (opengl32.dll in Quake folder) and running directly on my Quadro K2100M's OpenGL in Windows 10

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-07, 23:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's two reasons why there's this Glide-wrapper-over-3dfx-MiniGL situation for GLQuake:

- The 3dfx MiniGL provides gamma correction (at a time where there was no standardized way for desktop color control for everyone else)
- Paletted textures (3dfx was one of the few with support for that)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-07, 00:04:

There's two reasons why there's this Glide-wrapper-over-3dfx-MiniGL situation for GLQuake:

- The 3dfx MiniGL provides gamma correction (at a time where there was no standardized way for desktop color control for everyone else)

Thanks, good to know .

Reply 10 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-07, 00:04:

nGlide isn't able to render the game, can't figure out why. I tried renaming the .dll in the directory but then it rendered the game over direct OpenGL, didn't utilise 3Dfx MiniGL at all.
Edit: Just noticed the 2 opengl32.dll are different, one for direct rendering and another for 3Dfx emulation.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2020-09-06, 19:02:
Perhaps you forgot about "-window". I just run GLQuake 0.97 on Windows 10 x64 with […]
Show full quote

Perhaps you forgot about "-window". I just run GLQuake 0.97 on Windows 10 x64 with

GLQUAKE -window -width 1024

And it just worked. I am on NVIDIA GPU, perhaps the driver detected GLQUAKE.EXE and automatically limited GL extensions.

Update: AMD GPU was fine, too, but Intel GPU crashed. An uncapped GL extensions would certainly crash lots of older OpenGL games, but it wasn't very difficult to detect the EXE which called the OpenGL DLL and filter out the extensions from the games. Quake2/Unreal1/UT99 OpenGL all have the same problem.

Well, if someone renamed the EXE, then it was just asking for trouble...

Weird... I set -window parameter with MiniGL using nGlide and the game worked. But as soon as I change res, I getthe wgl Contact Errorr. I am on version 0.95 but updated to 0.98. Moreover I tested OpenGL on Unreal earlier and I didn't observe any problem whatsoever.

Edit: The game crashes on resolutions like 1080p, it says to use 65535 colours but compatibility mode doesn't work

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2020-09-07, 04:44. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 12 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-09-06, 18:59:

What video card and OS are you running this on ?

Windows 10 20H1
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti driver version 451.xx

Reply 13 of 26, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your system should enable you to play GLQuake 0.97 directly with OpenGL on Windows 10. NVIDIA OpenGL is the best in the industry. You should not use nGlide at all. NVIDIA GPU driver already took care of GL extensions filtering for most of the popular games.

Reply 14 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2020-09-07, 06:28:

Your system should enable you to play GLQuake 0.97 directly with OpenGL on Windows 10. NVIDIA OpenGL is the best in the industry. You should not use nGlide at all. NVIDIA GPU driver already took care of GL extensions filtering for most of the popular games.

The main problem was I can't increase resolution, I just get a wglContextError. Now I tried without MiniGL and it WORKS. The old version had problems increasing res wuth parameters but newer one works fine. And yes NVIDIA OGL is the best, the Intel one is buggy in most games

Reply 15 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the old 1997 MiniGL's strictly for 640x480 as that's what the best 3dfx Voodoos could do at the time (1997). You could've replaced this MiniGL with a newer one, or use nglide's scaling to make that 1400x1080 or so

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-07, 07:57:

the old 1997 MiniGL's strictly for 640x480 as that's what the best 3dfx Voodoos could do at the time (1997). You could've replaced this MiniGL with a newer one, or use nglide's scaling to make that 1400x1080 or so

yes the problem lies there. The game is run at 480p in game and the nglide config is also 480p. The game doesn't render anything at that time. Similarly if I change res in nglide again, the problem persisits

Reply 17 of 26, by vbdasc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Similarly if I used nGlide or dgVoodoo to use 3Dfx Mini Driver for OpenGL the would freeze.

There are three more Glide wrappers in addition to nGlide and dgVoodoo 1/2 that should be compatible with the 3dfx MiniGL driver and GLQuake - namely, Zeckensack's, psVoodoo and OpenGlide. You could try with them too.

P.S. Oops, this is not exactly right. I was thinking about Quake 2, for which my original statement holds true. For GLQuake however, if you want to try the OpenGL-based wrappers (Zeckensack's and OpenGlide) you will have to use a special version of GLQuake, adapted to use a OpenGL library with a name different from "OPENGL32.DLL". I can provide instructions to build it, or even send you the compiled binary.

Reply 18 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok so I tested the game in v0.95 and had the following results:

OpenGL- Works in 640x480 at both fullscreen and windowed. Crashes when changing resolution.
MiniGL - Windowed mode with game parameters works fine. Crashes when changing resolution with parameters. dgVoodoo gets a black screen on full screen at any res. nGlide gets an image that gets outside of the screen and flashes at any res.

Reply 19 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vbdasc wrote on 2020-09-07, 08:24:

Similarly if I used nGlide or dgVoodoo to use 3Dfx Mini Driver for OpenGL the would freeze.

There are three more Glide wrappers in addition to nGlide and dgVoodoo 1/2 that should be compatible with the 3dfx MiniGL driver and GLQuake - namely, Zeckensack's, psVoodoo and OpenGlide. You could try with them too.

P.S. Oops, this is not exactly right. I was thinking about Quake 2, for which my original statement holds true. For GLQuake however, if you want to try the OpenGL-based wrappers (Zeckensack's and OpenGlide) you will have to use a special version of GLQuake, adapted to use a OpenGL library with a name different from "OPENGL32.DLL". I can provide instructions to build it, or even send you the compiled binary.

Yes I would like to try the compiled build