VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CrazyDreamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone suggested to me that, perhaps, one might run Win95-based games by installing Win95 in DOSbox. I told him that this was a ridiculous suggestion, of course, but I'd like someone who actually knows what they're talking about to tell me that I'm right.

I mean, honestly, I have no clue what would happen if you even tried.

Reply 2 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, DosBox isn't a solution for 9x games. Qemu is the better choice. If you need speed then Vmware/VPC are ideal.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by 93143

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to install Windows 95 in DOSBox. It hangs during the disk check...

I haven't yet tried using a bootable disk image made in (say) Bochs, but I doubt it would work well enough to even use the MIDI mapper, never mind run a game. Unfortunately DOSBox seems to be the only PC emulator with a working OPL3, which is actually my main reason for trying this...

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

with CVS you might actually get somewhere but it's just not useable for games. No Joystick support, sound card doesn't get correctly driven... (and you need to install on a disk image)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was able to boot 95c in DosBox.

I first installed 95c in VPC.
Created an 512mb HD image for DosBox.
Boot from a floppy in DosBox, format the drive and do a SYS C:
Open the VPC image in Winimage.
Copy all of the files into the DosBox Image
Boot 95c!

The only 95 I've ever been able to install and use off the bat in DosBox was 95a without any trouble. For later 95's I had to use the above method.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline