VOGONS

Common searches

A OpenGL wrapper?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been playing older OpenGL games using a combination of WickedGL and nGlide. it works surprisingly well. However WickedGL is a 16bit program so you need something like OTVDM to let you install 16bit programs in Windows 10. Honestly this combination tends to work better than the standard miniGL drivers typically included in these game on GOG.n The big benefit here is playing games pressed while setting their internal resolution low to keep proper HUD elements.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-07, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 21 of 26, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the "-window" is always required. Use "-width" on the command line to select the desired resolution. GLQuake 0.97 displays such instructions when you go to "Options->Video Options". You can also use "-height" to have the game stretched to different aspect ratio or just omitting that to let the game select the best height to keep the original aspect ratio. It works fine with both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs on Windows 10. It was easy and simple, why makes things unnecessarily complicated with mini GL and Glide wrappers?

Reply 22 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2020-09-07, 15:32:

I think the "-window" is always required. Use "-width" on the command line to select the desired resolution. GLQuake 0.97 displays such instructions when you go to "Options->Video Options". You can also use "-height" to have the game stretched to different aspect ratio or just omitting that to let the game select the best height to keep the original aspect ratio. It works fine with both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs on Windows 10. It was easy and simple, why makes things unnecessarily complicated with mini GL and Glide wrappers?

On version 0.98, the game can achieve higher res without the window parameter but only on OpenGL mode. In MiniGL, the game will always glitch without this parameter. No the -window parameter isn't required everywhere, only on 0.95(or versions before 0.98). 0.98 works on fullscreen without it.

The MiniGL needs window parameter but the biggest problem there is, MOUSE DOESN'T WORK

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 23 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-09-07, 14:28:

I have been playing older OpenGL games using a combination of WickedGL and nGlide. it works surprisingly well. However WickedGL is a 16bit program so you need something like OVDM to let you install 16bit programs in Windows 10. Honestly this combination tends to work better than the standard miniGL drivers typically included in these game on GOG.n The big benefit here is playing games pressed while setting their internal resolution low to keep proper HUD elements.

The self extractor is 32 bit, and setup is 16 bit. I can't even extract filex using UniExtract 🙁.

Edit: I got the now and installed it with OTVDM and installed the ... I had to do from WickedGL control panel. Then running the game, it wants a Wicked3D board

Reply 24 of 26, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-07, 15:52:

I have been playing older OpenGL games using a combination of WickedGL and nGlide. it works surprisingly well. However WickedGL is a 16bit program so you need something like OVDM to let you install 16bit programs in Windows 10. Honestly this combination tends to work better than the standard miniGL drivers typically included in these game on GOG.n The big benefit here is playing games pressed while setting their internal resolution low to keep proper HUD elements.

The self extractor is 32 bit, and setup is 16 bit. I can't even extract filex using UniExtract 🙁.

Edit: I got the now and installed it with OTVDM and installed the ... I had to do from WickedGL control panel. Then running the game, it wants a Wicked3D board

You need to install nGLide to your system or have it in the game folder.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 25 of 26, by vbdasc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-07, 08:36:

Yes I would like to try the compiled build

Hello. The file I promised can be downloaded at http://217.145.83.141/vogons_files/GLQUAKE.EXE . Copy it to your Quake directory and run it. Note that it needs to be able to find a "fake" OpenGL library named 3dfxgl.dll .The "fake" OpenGL library can be one of the following:

1. The standard 3dfx MiniGL driver - works with nGlide, dgVoodoo 1/2, Zeckensack's, OpenGlide, psVoodoo.
2. WickedGL - works with the same wrappers as the 3dfx MiniGL.
3. The official 3dfx OpenGL "ICD" library. So far I've tried version 740 and it didn't work; but some earlier version might work with nGlide and dgVoodoo 2.
4. MesaFX. I've tried version 6.2.0.2 with nGlide. This combo produces monochrome picture for some reason but otherwise works; dgVoodoo 2 should probably work too.

Reply 26 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2020-09-07, 22:30:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-07, 15:52:

You need to install nGLide to your system or have it in the game folder.

I installed and then it gave me a black screen. Then I tried the high resolution feature of Wicked3D but to no avail 🙁