Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2160 of 5931, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Meh. I played the original when it came out in 2004 and had a good time with it until HL2 took over my life. The BFG Edition I am enjoying immensely with all the gfx updates over the original. To each their own.

Reply 2161 of 5931, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just started Bioshock Remastered. Graphics are quite nice. Never played the original, so not sure how much better the remastered version is. Interesting side note: I noticed my framerates were in the 200-300fps range and GPU usage was around 80%, so I turned vsync on since I have a 60Hz monitor and now GPU usage is around 30% and GPU temps are about 20C lower. I like efficiency, so that made me happy. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2163 of 5931, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dune (Cryo) - 1992. PC DOS CD Version, modded to have the french dub (which was exclusive to the MegaCD port - but not anymore).
I have a project to reverse-engineer the whole executable one day, but for now I'm enjoying the results of months of hard work.
All the clics, pops, volume jumps up and down, background noises were painfully removed with Audacity + normalize-audio. 2284 voice files played over and over and over, my ears are bleeding... But hey, it never sounded better now.

Reply 2164 of 5931, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just recently finishing playing System Shock 2 from start to finish with a friend in co-op, a game I've played but never finished in the past. Really great game, totally wonky in places but the amount of environmental story telling and details they put in are astounding. Surprisingly the multiplayer didn't break too much till right near the end.

I'm also replaying the first Discworld game which is always a hoot and a little Grim Fandango Remastered here and there. I've also recently got the first Splinter Cell game all setup and working (EAX HD, updated textures, vids and projection shadows) on my XP machine so looking forward to experience that in full. Are there any games in the Splinter Cell series on pc that are not worth playing? As I was thinking to just play them all in order.

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 2165 of 5931, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-06, 20:54:

Bioshock is terrific, Bioshock 2 is even better from a gameplay perspective, but not as a whole...

I didn't much care for the setting of Bioshock but it's one of the few games that I've finished - the gameplay and story were quite compelling.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2166 of 5931, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got to the last level (12) of Biomenace Episode 2 on my DOS PC. Thing is, I got there with no spare lives, so I went back a couple of levels and found a secret door I had missed the first time. It led to a room with a cool tribute to Apogee and ID Software with characters representing the Apogee owners and a dude sitting in front of a computer. There was also a pic of Duke Nukem on the wall! That level also had a green one-eye monster from Keen on the ground floor. Probably the coolest go-back discovery I have executed in recent memory.

I am now at level 12 again with 7 lives and ready to take on the episode boss 😁

Reply 2167 of 5931, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2020-09-07, 02:47:

Bioshock is terrific, Bioshock 2 is even better from a gameplay perspective, but not as a whole...

I didn't much care for the setting of Bioshock but it's one of the few games that I've finished - the gameplay and story were quite compelling.

I'm a little less than an hour in so I don't have a huge opinion yet, but:
-the underwater art deco cities are so hard to believe that it lessens my immersion (man was capable of this in the late 1940s?? And nothing is corroding after 10+ years?)
-(I do love the art deco style, and it's been beautifully rendered!)
-having to shoot my character up with an addictive substance using needles (with no alternative role-playing choice) is annoying
-I can see the story developing into something good
-the similarities to System Shock 2 are obvious

edit: not only are the similarities to System Shock obvious, but almost forced. I am enjoying the game, but not as much as I'd hoped. It seems this game was designed more for those who only HEARD about the System Shock series, not those who actually played them. It's like they took the games and dropped them into a new setting that's less believable than the SS setting. I know my opinion is probably in the minority, but maybe it'll change as I play through the game more.

Reply 2168 of 5931, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-07, 10:16:
I'm a little less than an hour in so I don't have a huge opinion yet, but: -the underwater art deco cities are so hard to believ […]
Show full quote
badmojo wrote on 2020-09-07, 02:47:

I'm a little less than an hour in so I don't have a huge opinion yet, but:
-the underwater art deco cities are so hard to believe that it lessens my immersion (man was capable of this in the late 1940s?? And nothing is corroding after 10+ years?)
-(I do love the art deco style, and it's been beautifully rendered!)
-having to shoot my character up with an addictive substance using needles (with no alternative role-playing choice) is annoying
-I can see the story developing into something good
-the similarities to System Shock 2 are obvious

edit: not only are the similarities to System Shock obvious, but almost forced. I am enjoying the game, but not as much as I'd hoped. It seems this game was designed more for those who only HEARD about the System Shock series, not those who actually played them. It's like they took the games and dropped them into a new setting that's less believable than the SS setting. I know my opinion is probably in the minority, but maybe it'll change as I play through the game more.

Keep playing it's way better than any System Shock game and I say that as someone who loves System Shock 2.

Reply 2169 of 5931, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm with you clueless1. Played the first Bioshock and it just didn't do it for me like SS1 and especially SS2 did. I agree with Shagittarius though, try to get all the way through it and see what you think. I do remember Bioshock having some of the best water effects for its time. I was so impressed with that back in 2007.

Speaking of System Shock, Nightdive Studios just released video of the new cyberpspace areas yesterday from the remastered version they're working on. To me, very Tron like (not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation), but happy to see the first game getting some love regardless.

Reply 2170 of 5931, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Playing through Diablo 2 and then the expansion on my P3 1.4/CUBX-E machine, it's really fun. I haven't played this game since it was new and back then my computer ran it ver poorly.

Reply 2171 of 5931, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pete8475 wrote on 2020-09-07, 18:42:

Playing through Diablo 2 and then the expansion on my P3 1.4/CUBX-E machine, it's really fun. I haven't played this game since it was new and back then my computer ran it ver poorly.

Very nice! That's next on my list, after I finish up StarCraft.

It will be my first time playing Diablo 2 using Glide rendering. I did a few quick test with my Voodoo 3 just to see how it runs, but I never played through the entirety of the game on Glide.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2172 of 5931, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2020-09-07, 17:54:

I'm with you clueless1. Played the first Bioshock and it just didn't do it for me like SS1 and especially SS2 did. I agree with Shagittarius though, try to get all the way through it and see what you think. I do remember Bioshock having some of the best water effects for its time. I was so impressed with that back in 2007.

Speaking of System Shock, Nightdive Studios just released video of the new cyberpspace areas yesterday from the remastered version they're working on. To me, very Tron like (not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation), but happy to see the first game getting some love regardless.

Yeah, it's fun enough that I'm going to keep going. I'm 4 hours in and just got to my first Little Sister. Saved at the Gatherer's Garden in that room. I do stand by my statement about Bioshock trying too hard to be System Shock 2 in a new setting.

I am a System Shock Remastered backer. 😀

Reply 2173 of 5931, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2020-09-07, 18:42:

Excellent one!, finished it with 4 characters back in the day. I believe I played it on a Celeron 333mhz Mendocino, SIS6326 + Voodoo 2 based system, it felt good enough as I recall it.

I was playing Turok and Rollcage just yesterday.

Reply 2174 of 5931, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-07, 19:01:

Cyborg Enforcer + art book backer right here baby! Just waiting for my box set treasure to arrive one day.

ss1_remastered_box_set.png
Filename
File size
252.26 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 2175 of 5931, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2020-09-07, 19:47:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-07, 19:01:

Cyborg Enforcer + art book backer right here baby! Just waiting for my box set treasure to arrive one day.

It's been a LONG time! That whole detour they took with changing it to System Shock "faithful reboot", then flopping back to a remaster after all the outcry, and the changing of the engine from Unity to Unreal Engine 4...

BTW, I'm a Drone Cyborg backer. Looking forward to the physical copy in a steel case. 😎

Reply 2176 of 5931, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't wait for the remake.

I love SS1 on paper but can't get into it because of the controls.

SS2 is my favorite game for when I need to shit in my pants in terror, and fast. No other game tops it.

Reply 2177 of 5931, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Con 2 botones wrote on 2020-09-07, 19:16:

Excellent one!, finished it with 4 characters back in the day. I believe I played it on a Celeron 333mhz Mendocino, SIS6326 + Voodoo 2 based system, it felt good enough as I recall it.

I was playing Turok and Rollcage just yesterday.

Good stuff!

I think I had a celeron system at the time but I can't say for sure, I just remember it not working properly at all.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-09-07, 18:52:

Very nice! That's next on my list, after I finish up StarCraft.

It will be my first time playing Diablo 2 using Glide rendering. I did a few quick test with my Voodoo 3 just to see how it runs, but I never played through the entirety of the game on Glide.

One of the first things I did with this system was try the Glide version of D2 on my Voodoo 3. It looks kind of weird to me though and I think I prefer the normal software rendering mode.

Make sure you install the LOD expansion, it gives you the option to run the game in 800x600.

Also 1.13d is the newest patch that will work in Windows 98.

Reply 2178 of 5931, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pete8475 wrote on 2020-09-07, 20:24:

Also 1.13d is the newest patch that will work in Windows 98.

Thanks! I wasn't sure how far I could go with the patches and I figured they probably dropped Win9x support somewhere along the way.

I do have LoD as well, and the plan is to re-create the character that I used back when I first got the expansion - an assassin named Buffy. 😁

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2179 of 5931, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-09-07, 21:23:

Thanks! I wasn't sure how far I could go with the patches and I figured they probably dropped Win9x support somewhere along the way.

I do have LoD as well, and the plan is to re-create the character that I used back when I first got the expansion - an assassin named Buffy. 😁

Tremendous! Have fun. I'm playing as my typical barbarian that smashes stuff character in these types of games.