VOGONS

Fake 486 Processor?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 76, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bearking wrote on 2020-09-09, 15:38:

Still don't get it... Why is this drama over one 10 USD second hand old cpu??? Really? I saw the ad on ebay, there is a picture of the thing and a price. If you want it, you get it, if no, you leave it...

Well, I suppose many people take such things personally. They feel being cheated on and things get very emotional.
Just remember middle age. People back then occasionally burned or drowned women (and men) after accusing them being witches (warlocks)..
And they did that for what ever reasons. Anyway. On the other hand, some collectors really love these odd things, though.
It's a bit like collecting stamps, I suppose. The more weird, the more interesting.

Kinda reminds of the hot-headed discussions of famiclone systems.
Some people get very angry over them and only want to see legit Famicom/NES systems being used.
Even though some of the famiclones were semi-legal, because these were just NOAC based systems (Nint.-On-a-chip) under
names such as "8-Bit game console" and also because the pat. rights have experied after such a long time (that's what I heard, at least).

Also, that (?) seller apparently currently sells that intel chip with this description:
Condition:--
[..]
Intel DX4 iCOMP indes=435 New. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.

So he/she/they sold things "as is", basically.
So at least in the description, he/she/they makes no false promises, either.
That's all I can say.

Edit: Some typos fixed (hopefully).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 41 of 76, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Quadrachewski wrote on 2020-09-09, 12:33:
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-09, 09:44:

Yep, that's how the internet works. I'd rather save uninformed buyers the hassle of trying to return it when it doesn't work.

No, that's how inconsiderate people work.
You were wrong but you are so full of yourself that you can't even admit your mistake.

No, I just don't want people getting ripped off, no matter how small the dollar amount. If someone proves these chips actually work as advertised, I will change my position. So far that hasn't been the case. If a business or individual is advertising a product that doesn't actually perform its function, I would gladly welcome someone warning me before I potentially lost money.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 42 of 76, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-09, 16:43:

No, I just don't want people getting ripped off, no matter how small the dollar amount. If someone proves these chips actually work as advertised, I will change my position. So far that hasn't been the case. If a business or individual is advertising a product that doesn't actually perform its function, I would gladly welcome someone warning me before I potentially lost money.

You don't want to understand any of this, never did.
If someone started spreading that you are a thief and a rapist until you prove the contrary you'd be upset too.
You wouldn't change your position ever because that would mean that you are wrong and you are too self-centered to admit that.

Reply 43 of 76, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 ok.. that would be slander and easy to sue for in about 5 seconds flat in court. It isn't comparable.

I will admit when I'm wrong, as I always have here. What's your deal? If all the evidence thus far shows these don't work as intended from several people, I'm going to hold that position until we see proof they really do work. This isn't some crusade I'm on.

Are you the seller or something?

My Github

Reply 44 of 76, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-09, 17:45:

🤣 ok.. that would be slander and easy to sue for in about 5 seconds flat in court. It isn't comparable.

The same applies to you, the seller could sue you for spreading misinformation about his product.
I'm the guy who puts you in your place pal. So behave.

Reply 45 of 76, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Quadrachewski wrote on 2020-09-09, 17:52:
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-09, 17:45:

The same applies to you, the seller could sue you for spreading misinformation about his product.
I'm the guy who puts you in your place pal. So behave.

No, they cannot sue since we have numerous instances of these not working, they are sold as-is, and eBay makes the final determination of reported feedback. But welcome to Vogons, where a 2 day old member comes to tell people to behave when someone warns others of likely faulty or counterfeit products. Haha

My Github

Reply 47 of 76, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-09, 17:59:

No, they cannot sue since we have numerous instances of these not working, they are sold as-is, and eBay makes the final determination of reported feedback.

I need proof that they or not working. Checkmate.
BTW there are 29 of these CPUs sold and none of the buyers complained. What about them? Are they all idiots who gave a positive feedback even though the CPUs are fake and non-functioning? None of them tried to use any of these? Or maybe people tried the CPUs that were made in 2007 in 30 years old incompatible boards?
So 10 satisfied customers + 2 unsatisfied customers = fake product. 🤣 TIL

Reply 49 of 76, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We don't know about other people, we only know about everyone we've seen thus far (including established members) who could not get them working at the rated specs or even other settings for that matter. If someone does have one working, that would be awesome and I certainly hope they share it to put this to rest and we would come to the conclusion that there are just a number of faulty chips. A die shot would also help clear up what manufacturing process is used.

My Github

Reply 50 of 76, by NC Mountain Man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really appreciate all of the comments and research on this. I see both sides of the argument. The cosmetic differences in the processor I received compared to known real 486 processors does give reason to be suspicious (especially the lack of the registered trademark sign), but I guess it is reasonable that the late production runs of these had cosmetic differences due to logo changes and cost savings. That seems to be the assertion of the ebay seller. Below was his response when I asked him about the differences I saw:

"First, I can assure you these DX4 chips are real.. We bought several hundred chips directly from the manufacturer for a large project where we populate circuit boards for a third party manufacturer. All of these board have been delivered and work just fine. The purchasing company is very please with them. What I am selling is the 127 left over after that job was completed. These chips are brand new, have never been touched by human hands and have worked for everyone sold on eBay as well except for one person. I sent that person a second chip just on his word it didn't work and it turned out that he was trying to use it in an incompatible device and said so himself. His original email to me indicated he believe these to be fake or altered. They are NOT. I have purchased many items at different times that were in fact the same item but they did have some cosmetic differences. It happens all the time.
These chips are real, they are new, and they work."

The sellers response is believable, and even possibly references one of the people who posted here previously in regards to the one processor that didn't work. At this point, I am going to assume that the processor is good and at this price point, I won't be out much if it is fake. Unfortunately, I can not test the processor right now because I am still collecting all of the parts for my 486 build. I should have my power supply sometime this weekend, so maybe then I can at least see if the motherboard will post with this processor in it then.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Reply 51 of 76, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm just here, enjoying the show

btw.. any way to make animated gifs work here?

Attachments

• mj-popcorn.gif
    Filename
    mj-popcorn.gif
    File size
    754.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-09-09, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 52 of 76, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I saw a listing for one of these, I would happily buy one and test it to find out what they really are. PM me a link if you want to know for sure.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 53 of 76, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Be it fake or not, I'm curious to hear if OP's purchase actually works. This will put to rest any suspicions about this 486 CPU.

Looking forward for the results!

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-09, 18:24:

btw.. any way to make animated gifs work here?

AFAIK, user thumbnails can use animated GIFs. Not sure about attachments though.

Reply 54 of 76, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's see if animated gifs work......

Yes, looks like they do

Attachments

• GIVEADAMN.gif
    Filename
    GIVEADAMN.gif
    File size
    3.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by debs3759 on 2020-09-09, 19:06. Edited 1 time in total.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 56 of 76, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-09-09, 19:01:

Be it fake or not, I'm curious to hear if OP's purchase actually works. This will put to rest any suspicions about this 486 CPU.

^this, I was surprised that there apparently are genuine CPUs with that logo in the last thread already, looking forward to results too.

Reply 57 of 76, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, I understand wiretap's point of view, as well. The internet is historically an anonymous place and we do don't really know much about other people.
Even emotions don't go well among the internet. That's why we need smileys. Also, sarcasm *sadly* and cynismn (not so sadly) are one of the few things that don't transport very well over the net.

1981-12-10.gif
Sources: garfield.com, https://www.gocomics.com/garfield/1981/12/10

I'd say let's calm down again. After all, a counterfeit report on eBay is comparable to a report on a forum.
It's not like someone get's accused in the wide open public. If at all, eBay handles these things internally.

Edit: Also, the a forum is meant for disccussing things. It's a good thing if we have different opinions.
If we were all alike, I'd would be very boring. Also, nothing really happened so far.
Discussions in other forums are much, much more raw usually. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 58 of 76, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-09, 19:05:

Let's see if animated gifs work......

Yes, looks like they do

Hmmm.... why the mj-popcorn one not working then? Maybe they have to be under a certain size?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 59 of 76, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-09, 18:45:

If I saw a listing for one of these, I would happily buy one and test it to find out what they really are. PM me a link if you want to know for sure.

I'm actually already bidding on one for science.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK