VOGONS

Fake 486 Processor?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 62 of 76, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-09, 19:25:
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-09, 18:45:

If I saw a listing for one of these, I would happily buy one and test it to find out what they really are. PM me a link if you want to know for sure.

I'm actually already bidding on one for science.

I was going to, but I won't bid it up with you. I was just interested for taking the cap off to see what's underneath since nobody else has yet.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 63 of 76, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I sent that person a second chip just on his word it didn't work and it turned out that he was trying to use it in an incompatible device and said so himself.

Since this is the seller talking about me, I'd like to add: He was gracious to send me a 2nd chip to try. However, I am still surprised that my system would not be compatible with a "&EW" DX4 when it works fine with a "&E" DX4, as far as I know any system that works with one should work with the other. If there's any evidence of the contrary I'd be happy to know.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 64 of 76, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-09, 19:44:

If I saw a listing for one of these, I would happily buy one and test it to find out what they really are. PM me a link if you want to know for sure.

I was going to, but I won't bid it up with you. I was just interested for taking the cap off to see what's underneath since nobody else has yet.

I was going to, but first I'm going to send it to another member who's offered to try it in other systems, before I tear it to pieces.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 65 of 76, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chublord wrote on 2020-09-09, 19:47:

I sent that person a second chip just on his word it didn't work and it turned out that he was trying to use it in an incompatible device and said so himself.

Since this is the seller talking about me, I'd like to add: He was gracious to send me a 2nd chip to try. However, I am still surprised that my system would not be compatible with a "&EW" DX4 when it works fine with a "&E" DX4, as far as I know any system that works with one should work with the other. If there's any evidence of the contrary I'd be happy to know.

Not that I know of. I've used both types on several 486 boards without issue.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 66 of 76, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

RIP IT APART!

RIPANDTEARSILICON.png
Filename
RIPANDTEARSILICON.png
File size
130.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-09-09, 22:13. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 68 of 76, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably the same one I set a snipe for earlier. Guess I should cancel the snipe then 😀

If it's not a genuine DX4, it'll probably be a DX2.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 69 of 76, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Quadrachewski wrote on 2020-09-09, 18:07:

I need proof that they or not working. Checkmate.
BTW there are 29 of these CPUs sold and none of the buyers complained. What about them? Are they all idiots who gave a positive feedback even though the CPUs are fake and non-functioning? None of them tried to use any of these? Or maybe people tried the CPUs that were made in 2007 in 30 years old incompatible boards?
So 10 satisfied customers + 2 unsatisfied customers = fake product. 🤣 TIL

Hahaaa ! I have been given good replacement parts when they did not originally work from an Ebay purchase when I quickly complained it did not work, the sellers asked me to wait until the new part arrived and test it, did and worked so gave a positive.
Quadrachewski, I think you are ignoring all the basic facts already presented that it is indeed a faked DX4-100. Show me one in cpu-world or cpu-shacks known good CPU archives or just leave it alone. There are many here with a lot more experience in these things than you think. ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 70 of 76, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-09-10, 02:04:

Hahaaa ! I have been given good replacement parts when they did not originally work from an Ebay purchase when I quickly complained it did not work, the sellers asked me to wait until the new part arrived and test it, did and worked so gave a positive.

So the rest of the buyers are all stupid, got it. Prove it that the 2 people who couldn't get them to work didn't screw something up or use faulty boards.
Just because someone comments a lot doesn't mean they are smart and have experience. They just talk a lot more. 😉

Reply 71 of 76, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-09, 22:30:

Probably the same one I set a snipe for earlier. Guess I should cancel the snipe then 😀

If it's not a genuine DX4, it'll probably be a DX2.

Maybe. There was one with a bid and one without. I bid on the one that didn't have any bids yet... Starting price was a bit higher. Anyway, if it is a real CPU, I should have a board it will work with.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 73 of 76, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is actually a good point and it would mean that most Ebay feedbacks are useless.
If a bunch of people give + on a bad product then Ebay's fb system is fundamentally flawed and a 100% rating means nothing.
It is pretty hard to believe in my opinion.
I don't know about the rest of you but I always test the hardware I buy before leaving feedback. No way in hell I would ever leave + for something that is not working.
So what's up with that?
It goes beyond this good/bad CPU. If this is indeed a fake then I wouldn't trust any seller on Ebay anymore.
I would buy one myself if shipping wasn't so expensive to get it here. 😀
Many of us have seen industrial control equipment that used obsolete hardware. The last one I remember was an injection molding machine with a 486 based control board. These machines are on 24/7 so replacements are often needed. Serious businesses will not just start browsing Ebay for used parts, they'll need new and tested equipment with a proper safety rating. That is when new productions come into play.
That is the reason Intel kept making these processors well beyond their normal service life, it is a lucrative business.
There is a (german?) guy on Youtube who tests presumably fake cpus to see what is what, someone should do a video of this cpu as well.
My vote is on not fake for the time being.

Reply 74 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From that CPU Shack article:

This particular chip was made in April 2007. Intel announced it would be discontinued by the end of 2007 so this is truly one of the last (Intel) 486s ever made. It is a SX911 &E5V2X version which is an SL Enhance (&E) 5 Volt Mobile (2X) processor. The 2X means that the processor requires 2 external clocks, typically one would be used for when a laptop was plugged in (full speed, 33MHz in this case) and a second, which could be anything lower, for battery operation. Obviously these can be implemented in any application, not just a laptop. Registers contents, interrupts etc are all preserved when the processor switches clock frequency so this is done on the fly, just like today’s processors. The SX911 spec, which first was released in 1994, came in both 1X (desktop) and 2X (mobile) versions. Throughout its 13 years of production it remained on a 150mm (6-inch) wafer process at 0.8u.

Seems to me like there are potentially some hardware differences, and it might not work in an ordinary Socket 3 board. Could explain some folks' trouble getting them going, perhaps?

What would be nice to see is a photo of one of these &E5V2X chips in an actual embedded product.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 75 of 76, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems to me like there are potentially some hardware differences

I don't see it. Switching FSB on-the-fly was more often than not an implementation of Turbo button on Socket 3 mobos. And that's still SX911, which means that it's functionally identical to any other SX911 (DX2 with WB L1 cache) CPU ever made. If not, it would be marked as new stepping with new features. And if we're talking about SL and SMM enhancements (&E), then it's also are not an issue, because normal Intel DX4 also has it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 76 of 76, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So this is one of the reasons why vogons is not a marketplace. We don't care what is or is not fake on ebay, craigslist, your yard sale, etc. Any decent site will have ways of reporting this.
We don't want to deal with the money issues such as when people complain that they aren't getting money anymore. We don't care.

Thread closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline