Reply 20 of 52, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-02-18, 08:11:
MrEWhite wrote on 2020-02-15, 16:59:
leileilol wrote on 2020-02-15, 01:47:

xash3d's that illegal source port that unfortunately gets smartypantsed around as blind 'this update fixes hl' advice...

Yeah, I read about that and that's one of the reasons I'm not using it. It also doesn't support my version anyways.

That it's illegal? I think I've heard there's some other controversy surrounding Xash3D, but on a forum where a lot of players probably rely on no-cd cracks to make their games work still, being illegal by itself doesn't strike me as something negative.

It’s illegal due to it using Half-Life source code, which Valve strictly said you couldn’t use.

Reply 21 of 52, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-subtitle … es-lack-of-time

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 22 of 52, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UCyborg wrote on 2020-02-18, 00:16:

Though changing the FPS limit can also prevent scientists/player from getting hurt, or simply standing at the different spot inside the elevator. While the NPC twitching a lot while the elevator is moving seems like a consistent occurrence, them being killed isn't, even with the same settings. It may differ across different computer configurations, I guess there are small timing differences or something like that. On my machine, I can't reproduce it when running Windows 10, but it happens when running Windows 7 or XP.

Never mind, actually, I can. 😜

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 23 of 52, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

xash3d's that illegal source port that unfortunately gets smartypantsed around as blind 'this update fixes hl' advice...

How is it illegal? Is the source code stolen from Valve or something? It is disappointing if it is illegal, as I imagined it might lead to source ports for various non-PC platforms, as has happened with the fan-made ports of game engines like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior 3D, Descent, etc.

Or do you mean unofficial, because (I assume) it's fan-made. I haven't followed Xash3D's progress, and know nothing about it's history or status, I only downloaded it after reading about it when (a year or two ago) I was trying to get the fan-made mod Half Life: Echoes to work and it just wouldn't run on the genuine Half-Life game engine. Xash3D allowed it to work perfectly, and incidentally the mod is amazing, I'd definitely recommend HL: Echoes to any Half-Life fan, it's brilliant. It's also made by just one person, obviously someone really talented.

Reply 24 of 52, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote on 2020-02-18, 20:47:

How is it illegal? Is the source code stolen from Valve or something? It is disappointing if it is illegal, as I imagined it might lead to source ports for various non-PC platforms, as has happened with the fan-made ports of game engines like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior 3D, Descent, etc.

Or do you mean unofficial, because (I assume) it's fan-made. I haven't followed Xash3D's progress, and know nothing about it's history or status, I only downloaded it after reading about it when (a year or two ago) I was trying to get the fan-made mod Half Life: Echoes to work and it just wouldn't run on the genuine Half-Life game engine. Xash3D allowed it to work perfectly, and incidentally the mod is amazing, I'd definitely recommend HL: Echoes to any Half-Life fan, it's brilliant. It's also made by just one person, obviously someone really talented.

Yeah, pretty sure the source code is stolen.

Reply 25 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

by also using leaked source, and claiming itself as from scratch GPL code, it's also a high risk of contagion. and yeah the HL SDK license is also super violated in the process

Such a shame the HL scene seems accepting of legally toxic stuff. This shit used to be called out in other places.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 52, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-02-19, 01:00:

by also using leaked source, and claiming itself as from scratch GPL code, it's also a high risk of contagion. and yeah the HL SDK license is also super violated in the process

Such a shame the HL scene seems accepting of legally toxic stuff. This shit used to be called out in other places.

That is bad, I didn't know that. It's a pity as it would be great to see more open source code (I wish *every* game was open source, and if I was in government, then I'd see about offering tax incentives or whatever to companies to make them release a game's source code say ten years after the game is first sold) but something like HL's source code being stolen is less likely to make companies want to release the source to the public.

Reply 27 of 52, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding Steam version issues - is there a way to delete saved game from GUI? Also 3D sound support is missing. It can be added back with MetaHook plugin MetaAudio, which shouldn't be used online because MetaHook is a gateway to modify engine operation at runtime, which again, is against rules.

If this thread is anything to go by, there's supposedly much more players using the means to play the game without Steam, I guess using the regular Steam version with Steam emulators, at least most of those interested in playing online I guess.

Then I read about the WON2 network, which is the unofficial replacement for the old WON network, which was a thing before Steam for online play. So that's another route for those who want to avoid Steam at all costs.

If cheating and piracy is such a widespread issue, then Xash3D being casually accepted doesn't come of as too surprising.

Reply 28 of 52, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UCyborg wrote on 2020-02-19, 23:15:
Regarding Steam version issues - is there a way to delete saved game from GUI? Also 3D sound support is missing. It can be added […]
Show full quote

Regarding Steam version issues - is there a way to delete saved game from GUI? Also 3D sound support is missing. It can be added back with MetaHook plugin MetaAudio, which shouldn't be used online because MetaHook is a gateway to modify engine operation at runtime, which again, is against rules.

If this thread is anything to go by, there's supposedly much more players using the means to play the game without Steam, I guess using the regular Steam version with Steam emulators, at least most of those interested in playing online I guess.

Then I read about the WON2 network, which is the unofficial replacement for the old WON network, which was a thing before Steam for online play. So that's another route for those who want to avoid Steam at all costs.

If cheating and piracy is such a widespread issue, then Xash3D being casually accepted doesn't come of as too surprising.

I think MetaAudio is okay as it only modifies the game and doesn't distribute stuff containing the source code like Xash3D does.

Reply 29 of 52, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fixed some issues in 1.1.1.0 version of the game, including the one this thread is about, plus:

• Direct3D mode now works with dgVoodoo2 and works better with native Direct3D as well (no more game not responding to mouse wheel).
  • Added -d3dnomaxwinmode command line argument (calls undocumented Windows 8+ specific DirectDraw function to restore classic fullscreen mode for Direct3D mode).
  • Changed styling of game window in windowed mode.
  • Removed some non-critical calls to window management APIs.
  • Fixed an issue with CD/MP3 playback code that would sometimes leave a hung hl.exe process in the background after quitting.

Download: ModDB

Edit: I just realized passing the new command line argument -d3dnomaxwinmode makes the game behave as if -d3d was also passed, automatically selecting Direct3D mode, even if it hasn't been set previously. Guess the builtin command line argument checking function just checks if one of the passed arguments contains or begins with specified string, so a check for "-d3d" returns positive result even if only "-d3dnomaxwinmode" is passed. Bleh.

Reply 30 of 52, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UCyborg wrote on 2020-09-09, 17:37:
I fixed some issues in 1.1.1.0 version of the game, including the one this thread is about, plus: […]
Show full quote

I fixed some issues in 1.1.1.0 version of the game, including the one this thread is about, plus:

• Direct3D mode now works with dgVoodoo2 and works better with native Direct3D as well (no more game not responding to mouse wheel).
  • Added -d3dnomaxwinmode command line argument (calls undocumented Windows 8+ specific DirectDraw function to restore classic fullscreen mode for Direct3D mode).
  • Changed styling of game window in windowed mode.
  • Removed some non-critical calls to window management APIs.
  • Fixed an issue with CD/MP3 playback code that would sometimes leave a hung hl.exe process in the background after quitting.

Download: ModDB

Edit: I just realized passing the new command line argument -d3dnomaxwinmode makes the game behave as if -d3d was also passed, automatically selecting Direct3D mode, even if it hasn't been set previously. Guess the builtin command line argument checking function just checks if one of the passed arguments contains or begins with specified string, so a check for "-d3d" returns positive result even if only "-d3dnomaxwinmode" is passed. Bleh.

Would this work with 1.0.1.6?

Reply 32 of 52, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

QEMU MESAGL had the solution for this exact problem for Half-Life 1. Apparently the game maintained 2 window DCs, one for the UI/menu and another for OpenGL context. It (or Windows OS) did issue WM_ACTIVATE messages switching between UI/menu and in-game screen. The OpenGL ICD should have captured the message and switched to the GDI context to display the menu when the window handle being activated was not the one who owned the OpenGL rendering context. When the game resumed from UI/menu, it then re-activated the window handle who owned the OpenGL rendering context. The QEMU Windows OpenGL guest stub (essentially a stand-alone OpenGL ICD within QEMU) support this.

You could avoid the problem by playing with the 3Dfx miniGL->Glide wrappers route because 3Dfx Glide programming enforced orthogonal 2D/3D display management.

Reply 33 of 52, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I changed the order in which menu/game windows are shown/hidden. One order doesn't work for all modes, it differs between Software/Direct3D and OpenGL.

On top of that, in D3D mode, DirectDraw's SetCooperativeLevel method was used in rather peculiar way that brought an extra window to the scene, managed by DirectDraw. Then something had to be done about the music playback, which didn't come back after resuming. Trying dgVoodoo2 showed that it changes D3D rules. Stuff's easy to break.

It would had to be re-done for 1.0.1.6 and since I didn't feel like doing it now, I released what I've got.

Reply 35 of 52, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting a fix for 1.0.1.6? Don't get me wrong I appreciate your patch for 1.1.1.0 but that version doesn't have proper viewrolling, plus blue shift appears to be compiled from 1.0.1.6 as well.

Reply 36 of 52, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ajdrenter wrote on 2021-10-23, 14:23:

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting a fix for 1.0.1.6? Don't get me wrong I appreciate your patch for 1.1.1.0 but that version doesn't have proper viewrolling, plus blue shift appears to be compiled from 1.0.1.6 as well.

What do you mean with viewrolling, the sliding when you stop moving? Are they somehow different between 1.1.1.0 and 1.0.1.6?

Reply 37 of 52, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKkJPFmDW9Q

This comparison shows the gist of it. Version 1.0.0.5 to 1.0.1.6 has everything working correctly, the bugs this vid shows off got added after 1.1.0.0 and are still present in latest steam update

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 38 of 52, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote on 2021-10-23, 16:18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKkJPFmDW9Q

This comparison shows the gist of it. Version 1.0.0.5 to 1.0.1.6 has everything working correctly, the bugs this vid shows off got added after 1.1.0.0 and are still present in latest steam update

Well damn, I had no idea. I will be using 1.0.1.6 from now on.

Reply 39 of 52, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

problem is many mods such as cs 1.5 will need newer patches to work, so what you can do is update the game to 1.0.1.6, then copy the game dir somewhere, then update to latest 1.1.1.0, and just keep both dirs... launch trough hl.exe in the game dir instead of from the CD menu. You can use 1.0.1.6 for HL single player and some old mods, and use 1.1.1.0 for newer mods and I guess HL multiplayer (as most people playing HL mp will have it updated). Thankfully WON2 works with both versions

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project