VOGONS

Retro Hardware Collecting rants

Topic actions

Reply 682 of 934, by Montaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sad really.

I guess those smelters are really organised at collecting from recycling centres or offering e-waste disposal to companies.

Curious how they collect their parts to save a few.

Ye already be disturbed; now leave me be. Yer company be toil enough as is.

Reply 683 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

not really a rant, just a funny observation...
it happens so often that I watch things I find interesting... but they're way too expensive... so I watch them in anticipation of them getting cheaper eventually.
but on some sellers it seems to have quite the opposite effect, as soon as they notice someone is watching it they assume there's interest for the item, and they end the listing prematurely and relist it for an even higher price... instantly killing all interest I might have had in the first place x3

Reply 684 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-09-10, 00:14:

it happens so often that I watch things I find interesting... but they're way too expensive... so I watch them in anticipation of them getting cheaper eventually.
but on some sellers it seems to have quite the opposite effect, as soon as they notice someone is watching it they assume there's interest for the item, and they end the listing prematurely and relist it for an even higher price... instantly killing all interest I might have had in the first place x3

If they have an actual interest in selling something, they will likely come to their senses eventually , unless the item is rare enough that somebody with deep pockets comes along and buys it anyway . I always browse Ebay without being logged in and bookmark interesting but too expensive stuff and then check on it occasionally . No sense in giving the seller any ideas .

Reply 685 of 934, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-09-10, 01:06:
imi wrote on 2020-09-10, 00:14:

If they have an actual interest in selling something, they will likely come to their senses eventually , unless the item is rare enough that somebody with deep pockets comes along and buys it anyway . I always browse Ebay without being logged in and bookmark interesting but too expensive stuff and then check on it occasionally . No sense in giving the seller any ideas .

One would think so - but I'm sure we've all seen the same item go round and round for months on end never dropping in price. A couple of times I've checked and either it eventually sells or just drops out, unsold (maybe sold elsewhere)

Reply 686 of 934, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-09-10, 01:06:

If they have an actual interest in selling something, they will likely come to their senses eventually

I frequently bump into a few of these "forever unsold" products on the local auction site.
I once asked a seller about his prices. He offered a Compaq portable for twice the amount it usually goes on Ebay. He told me that he either sells it for that amount or keeps it forever, he is in no rush to sell it. It has been on there for like 2 years now.
He didn't care about actual prices, he decided to sell it for X and that was final. Listing is not free so sticking to the same price for years is not the smartest tactic.

Reply 687 of 934, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-09-10, 08:40:

...He told me that he either sells it for that amount or keeps it forever, he is in no rush to sell it.

Eventually inflation and the market will catch up and he'll be able to sell it for that price. Maybe in 10 years? I also see a lot of those cases locally.

Reply 688 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a seller on eBay that keeps listing an awe32 with the CT1910 wave blaster card. I even bought it once and then they canceled my order claiming it was out of stock. Asked them why and they said they misplaced it. Then they relisted it as an auction and after it sold it got relisted again...

It has been on there for months and the seller just keeps relisting it.

Talk about a scummy "seller".

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 689 of 934, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can report this seller to eBay and they will get a bad mark on their account. Proof should be easy, since they keep relisting the item.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 690 of 934, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-10, 14:19:

There is a seller on eBay that keeps listing an awe32 with the CT1910 wave blaster card. I even bought it once and then they canceled my order claiming it was out of stock. Asked them why and they said they misplaced it. Then they relisted it as an auction and after it sold it got relisted again...

Are the gradually increasing the listing price every time?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 691 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2020-09-10, 14:23:

You can report this seller to eBay and they will get a bad mark on their account. Proof should be easy, since they keep relisting the item.

I have reported dozens of sellers that keep bidding on their own stuff and then relist it immediately again... nothing ever happens, after all ebay makes money in the process.

Reply 692 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-10, 14:39:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-10, 14:19:

Are the gradually increasing the listing price every time?

Sort of. I had been watching it for a while and it didn't sell so the seller lowered the price and I bought it.. Then they cancelled it and relisted it as an auction for less than I bought it for. Then it sold for more than I bought it for and then they relisted it again for about 1/3 more than I bought it for.

I don't see it on there right now so maybe they actually sold it and sent it to somebody or the auction ended and they are waiting another day to relist it again.

I did report them to eBay but I doubt anything came of it but who knows. I really wish eBay had an option to type ion a reason why you are reporting them because there really isn't anything in their reporting system that matches with this as well as some other stuff I have seen going on.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 693 of 934, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-10, 15:22:

I really wish eBay had an option to type ion a reason why you are reporting them because there really isn't anything in their reporting system that matches with this as well as some other stuff I have seen going on.

Which interface do you use to report? I never actually did it myself (because although I had purchases cancelled on me by the seller, they were never so stupid as to relist it immediately).

If the reporting interface is too simplistic, it should always be possible to open a case with eBay customer support where you can explain everything in detail.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 694 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2020-09-10, 15:56:

If the reporting interface is too simplistic, it should always be possible to open a case with eBay customer support where you can explain everything in detail.

but then it would actually cause them work and they'd have to do something about it... clearly not something they want ^^

Reply 695 of 934, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-09-10, 15:58:
dr_st wrote on 2020-09-10, 15:56:

but then it would actually cause them work and they'd have to do something about it... clearly not something they want ^^

That's their job.

There is no way to know what will happen in each and every case. But the attitude that some people seem to have - that it is better to just give up and then fume on the forums about how useless customer support is (which they never even tried to turn to!) just boggles my mind.

Reply 696 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

their job is making money ripping people off with inflated selling fees.

as long as there is nothing highly illegal going on they could get in trouble for they won't really care, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, just don't expect ebay customer support to care, you'll most probably just be disappointed.

Reply 697 of 934, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something tells me that with your attitude, you will more frequently end up disappointed, but maybe this is what you want. After all, one should have more things to rant about than just the new forum engine on VOGONS.

Reply 698 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

absolutely, I sometimes envy people who just view the world with rose tinted glasses all the time, but that is something I simply can't do, it would be as if I would be lying to myself and that would just make me feel even worse.

Reply 699 of 934, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've actually never had a bad experience with eBay support when I have called them. Always took care of my problem really quickly.

I did have to complain about a scammy seller once who wouldn't give me a refund for a laptop I bought that was destroyed in shipping because of the horrid packing job they did.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK