VOGONS

King's Quest 6 freezing issues

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by wassperro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I'm running the old King's Quest Collection using Dos Box .72 in Vista on my Vaio Cr 220 laptop. The game runs fine except there's two places where it consistently freezes. When you get thrown into the labyrinth and when you talk to the bookworm about a rare book. The game doesn't necesarilly freeze per-se. I can still move the mouse and everything but it stays stuck as an hourglass and I can't do anything but save and load. This makes the game unwinnable. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 3, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are timing issues with those games. Try running with the normal core instead of dynamic or auto, decrease or increase the cycles a bit and make sure you have all the patches installed. Here's an overview: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Pat … estUpdates.html. Another thing that may help is reducing the game speed or, oddly enough, the game detail.

Reply 2 of 3, by TVR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case anyone Google’s themselves here the solution for me was to change the speech/audio (not music) to Thunderboard. This worked in DOS, probably will work in DosBox. The Sierra readme in one of their patch files for windows says setting it to Soundblaster can cause the rando freezing issues and sure enough now it works fine.