Fasttracker 2.12 for MS-DOS

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 135, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
drastikterror wrote on 2020-08-30, 10:48:

Hello!
I was thinking about the possibility to implement a generic midi mpu-401 driver to make Ft2 work with external devices, in a way like Impulse tracker did with the command "it /s19 /a330"
Thank you!

As I have written in this tread before: I don't really know how to write low-level MIDI stuff, and I don't want to touch the low-level drivers used in FT2 without the proper knowledge... Sorry.

386:
- CPU: 386DX-40 (128kB external L1 cache)
- RAM: 8MB (0 waitstates at 40MHz)
- VGA: Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (ET4000AX 1MB ISA)
- Audio: SB Pro 2.0 + GUS 1MB
- ISA PS/2 mouse card + ISA USB card
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 82 of 135, by traffkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i could do that, but i'd need the full source code. disassembling would be not an easy task, time consuming and tedious...

drastikterror wrote on 2020-09-09, 10:55:

OK, maybe someone in this forum can help you, even without sharing the precious source code of FT2!

Reply 83 of 135, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, are you fluent in Pascal and i386 assembler? There's also a lot of inline Pascal asm with hardcoded hex instructions because of limitations in Pascal for 32-bit asm instructions (FT2 actually runs in 16-bit protected mode). If you think you are up to the challenge and promise to not share the source code with other people, I can probably hand it over.

386:
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 85 of 135, by traffkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i had quite good experience with both i could recall the stuff because of my great interest and involvement. as i said before, i use FT2 as my main sequencer/workstation, that's why i want it to be really useful and powerful even by contemporary demands. as for the source code, of course i promise not to share it in any case. i want to look into to find the possibility to add important features and i hope other users support my position and intention. let me know what do you think, and thanks in advance!

8bitbubsy wrote on 2020-09-11, 10:56:

Well, are you fluent in Pascal and i386 assembler? There's also a lot of inline Pascal asm with hardcoded hex instructions because of limitations in Pascal for 32-bit asm instructions (FT2 actually runs in 16-bit protected mode). If you think you are up to the challenge and promise to not share the source code with other people, I can probably hand it over.

Reply 86 of 135, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I sent you the source code and a readme.txt file to explain how to use it.

386:
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 88 of 135, by traffkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you!!! i'll look into it tomorrow and start to analyze possibilities. and of course will keep you updated!

8bitbubsy wrote on 2020-09-12, 10:33:

Reply 89 of 135, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys, I have a problem with the reproduction of a module, there is an instrument that does not sound, at minute 1:03, easy to realize, with other players it works, it is possible to see if it will not be something from my configuration or is something from the player, greetings

The party 1993 invitation , Trip To Heaven - WOTW

http://artscene.textfiles.com/music/mods/MODS … to%20heaven.mod

Reply 90 of 135, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hear nothing wrong at 1:03 (pattern 07) in FT2... Sounds the same in ProTracker.

386:
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 91 of 135, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is strange, it can reproduce the error, Inertia Player fails too, Pattern 18 and above, FT2 win64 makes me the same fault, pro tracker ( win ) reproduces it well, the Dual Module Player ( DOS ) reproduces it well ,I would have to make a video, it shows like in a moment the note is cut off, i think Vibrato+Sample offset its the problem , because that's where you see that it cuts,Another error that I saw is that at the end of the module when it loops the module slows down, but the version that appears in the invitation to the 1993 party does not do that slow, but it is somewhat less, it is only the version of the module or some bad rip by modland

Reply 92 of 135, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aha, that's at 2:22, not 1:03. was too lazy to listen to the whole song, as I didn't know exactly what to look for. 😀

Anyway, that's related to a difference in how the 9xx (Set Sample Offset) effect is handled in the replayer. Remember that replayers are different across different players/trackers! Most .mod files were created with ProTracker (or NoiseTracker), with an exception of some coming from older or newer trackers.

ProTracker behavior (used for PT2 clone and OpenMPT in .mod mode, and probably XMPlay in .mod mode):

• Non-looping samples: If 9xx is after the end of the sample, cut off note
  • Looping samples: If 9xx is after the end of the sample, start the sample from the loop start point (this is what should happen in the .mod in pattern 24)

FT2 behavior (also used for a lot of other replayers):

• Looping samples: If 9xx is after the end of the sample, cut off note (this is what happens in FT2 in the .mod in pattern 24)

386:
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 93 of 135, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
8bitbubsy wrote on 2020-09-14, 08:34:
Aha, that's at 2:22, not 1:03. was too lazy to listen to the whole song, as I didn't know exactly what to look for. :) […]
Show full quote

Aha, that's at 2:22, not 1:03. was too lazy to listen to the whole song, as I didn't know exactly what to look for. 😀

Anyway, that's related to a difference in how the 9xx (Set Sample Offset) effect is handled in the replayer. Remember that replayers are different across different players/trackers! Most .mod files were created with ProTracker (or NoiseTracker), with an exception of some coming from older or newer trackers.

ProTracker behavior (used for PT2 clone and OpenMPT in .mod mode, and probably XMPlay in .mod mode):

• Looping samples: If 9xx is after the end of the sample, start the sample from the loop start point (this is what should happen in the .mod in pattern 24)

FT2 behavior (also used for a lot of other replayers):

• Looping samples: If 9xx is after the end of the sample, cut off note (this is what happens in FT2 in the .mod in pattern 24)

It is good to know, because very few reproduce well, will it be something that can be fixed or does it have to remain as part of the player?

Reply 94 of 135, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has to remain like this. The reason is that when FT2 loads MOD/S3M/STM files, it converts them to an XM module internally. FT2 has only one replayer, and if you bugfix it for better MOD-accuracy, it will suddenly be less accurate for XM (I care very much about extreme FT2 accuracy, so I don't touch the replayer).

386:
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 95 of 135, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
traffkin wrote on 2020-09-12, 16:34:

thank you!!! i'll look into it tomorrow and start to analyze possibilities. and of course will keep you updated!

Any updates on this?

386:
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 96 of 135, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ft2.jpg
Filename
ft2.jpg
File size
39.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fast Tracker 2 does not work with Dual Covox Plugs or any other Sort of Dual D/A Converters.
It also makes crackling sounds when playing MODs over single Covox Plug.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 97 of 135, by traffkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

working on this, trying to put filters into parallel buffer prior to mixing channels, not an easy task at all... some midi functionality will be added too

8bitbubsy wrote on 2020-09-30, 21:25:
traffkin wrote on 2020-09-12, 16:34:

Any updates on this?

Reply 99 of 135, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, MPU401 support would be cool! Also traffkin, please be sure to send the code back to me if you manage to complete these implementations/fixes, so that I can continue with bugfixing in the future. I'm sure that there are more of the old bugs in there.

386:
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS