VOGONS

First post, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Are there any plans to introduce a virtual serial interface much like the one available for modems now? It would be very useful to be able to link the serial connection to an internet address and port much like the modem can be. Some games currently available don't work with the modem emulation code available in Dosbox at the moment and it would be useful to have this option as a backup.

It would work by simply including the IP address and port information in the configuration files, and for access on the command-line. Then the same data transfer code as is implemented for the modem could probably be used for TCP/IP transfers.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe Hal released a DosBox build about 2 days ago with alot of serial fixes/additions.

Ah, here you go:Re: Direct serial port working

Haven't tried it yet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps you can post the games which you tried and which didn't work with the current modem implementation. Maybe this will help Hal refine the code.

Reply 5 of 5, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've only tried modem emulation in one game to date, Formula One Grand Prix/World Circuit. Waiting for a call works perfectly, but if you attempt to make one, the link-up fails. The following information is given on the console.

Modem: Unhandled command: D0
Modem: Unhandled command: 11230196225

The code for the nullmodem patch across TCP/IP isn't yet in the CVS regardless of if it's platform independent or not 😀 Any idea when it'll be in the CVS?

I tried the patch which was provided on the posted thread, but it seems it doesn't apply correctly to the latest source code.