Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2181 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had more fun applying mods to Fallout 4 than playing it traditionally and it's 50/50 this time too so far, but I'm enjoying myself which is the main thing 😀 I've managed to get a more traditional dialog system going and turn off the player voice which always bothered me - hard to role play as me with some other dude's voice coming out of my gob. And with some basic texture replacements, Reshade, plus turning off the hideous god rays and overpowering fog it's looking pretty fantastic. No longer the blurred mess you get with vanilla.

I'd like to get a peek at Bethesda's instance of Jira - I'm betting one of the most commonly used workflows is 'leave it for the community to fix', but there's a great game in there somewhere. I haven't managed to do much questing yet, just been exploring with my pooch and shooting stuff, but even as a sandbox shooter it's pretty darn fun.

EDIT: wow this forum really butchers attached image quality - I gotta find a decent image host option.

Fallout4 2020-09-09 22-23-15.jpg
Filename
Fallout4 2020-09-09 22-23-15.jpg
File size
430.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Fallout4 2020-09-09 22-19-01.jpg
Filename
Fallout4 2020-09-09 22-19-01.jpg
File size
488.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Fallout4 2020-09-09 20-09-27.jpg
Filename
Fallout4 2020-09-09 20-09-27.jpg
File size
633.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Fallout4 2020-09-09 17-31-56.jpg
Filename
Fallout4 2020-09-09 17-31-56.jpg
File size
527.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2182 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@badmojo - that looks like a game I could really get into. I didn't like the original Fallout enough to finish it and never played another one. There's a handful of games like this that I like or want to try:
-the Stalker series
-the Metro series (I've beaten Metro 2033)
-Fallout 4

I'm currently almost 7 hours into Bioshock and starting to really get into it. All my initial complaints several posts up still apply, but still having enough fun to keep going. I think I'll just gloss over my complaints and just have fun with it. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2183 of 5847, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-10, 22:25:
@badmojo - that looks like a game I could really get into. I didn't like the original Fallout enough to finish it and never pla […]
Show full quote

@badmojo - that looks like a game I could really get into. I didn't like the original Fallout enough to finish it and never played another one. There's a handful of games like this that I like or want to try:
-the Stalker series
-the Metro series (I've beaten Metro 2033)
-Fallout 4

I'm currently almost 7 hours into Bioshock and starting to really get into it. All my initial complaints several posts up still apply, but still having enough fun to keep going. I think I'll just gloss over my complaints and just have fun with it. 😉

I've never been able to get into the Stalker series, it's a little too open world for me and the systems just lend myself to getting bored, and then not remembering what I was doing when I try to pick it up again. I think the Metro series is much better, it's also linear though...

About Fallout 4, It's a fine place to start if you've never played any others, unlike most people I don't have too much of a preference between the later iterations of that series.

Reply 2184 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad to hear you're enjoying Bioshock @clueless!

RE Stalker I think Call of Pripyat is the best of the series:
Re: What game are you playing now?

And RE Fallout I've never played the originals - of the later entries New Vegas is great, one of my all time fave games:

Reply 2186 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never managed to enjoy Stalker either. I hope to play the first two Metro games at some point. These days I'm just trying to finish up Doom (2016) and Pillars of Eternity (2015) before year end. The former is possible, the latter is a tall ask..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2187 of 5847, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-11, 09:18:

I never managed to enjoy Stalker either. I hope to play the first two Metro games at some point. These days I'm just trying to finish up Doom (2016) and Pillars of Eternity (2015) before year end. The former is possible, the latter is a tall ask..

It took me 3 attempts over multiple years to finish Pillars of Eternity, but that's mostly due to how much I hate real time pausable combat in an RPG. I finally found autopause settings that mostly helped me mimic a turn based setup which ultimately lead to me completing the game. Overall I think it was ok, thinking back its hard to remember much about it except for a few spots.

Reply 2189 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-11, 15:30:

It took me 3 attempts over multiple years to finish Pillars of Eternity, but that's mostly due to how much I hate real time pausable combat in an RPG. I finally found autopause settings that mostly helped me mimic a turn based setup which ultimately lead to me completing the game. Overall I think it was ok, thinking back its hard to remember much about it except for a few spots.

I felt exactly the same about the combat system. It's also why after finishing Baldur's Gate, I've put off BG2. I transferred my party into it and have it installed, ready to go, but every time I finish a game and start deciding on a next game, I pass it up. I'm a turn-based snob. Speaking of which, Lords of Xulima stands out as a super fun game. Ever play it? Great combat system.

Reply 2190 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lords of Xulima is on sale @GoG ATM I notice - still can't quite bring myself to buy a turn based game but it does look very interesting.

Reply 2191 of 5847, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2020-09-11, 22:21:

Lords of Xulima is on sale @GoG ATM I notice - still can't quite bring myself to buy a turn based game but it does look very interesting.

Not from 2014 that's for sure.

Reply 2192 of 5847, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-11, 22:10:
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-11, 15:30:

I felt exactly the same about the combat system. It's also why after finishing Baldur's Gate, I've put off BG2. I transferred my party into it and have it installed, ready to go, but every time I finish a game and start deciding on a next game, I pass it up. I'm a turn-based snob. Speaking of which, Lords of Xulima stands out as a super fun game. Ever play it? Great combat system.

I completed Lords of Xulima and enjoyed it quite a bit. As long as you are not looking for modern graphics or even above average looking art its mechanics and progression system are wonderful.

Reply 2193 of 5847, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was playing one of the games that I picked up at a garage sale yesterday: The Typing of the Dead, a Sega game of all things!

What a bizarre game. After my first play last night I was wondering if I had somehow fallen asleep at the keyboard and dreamt the entire thing up. Nope! Played it again this morning it's real. It's real weird. But also lots of fun - I like it!

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 2194 of 5847, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wolfus wrote on 2020-09-11, 18:31:

Still playing Heroes of Might and Magic III. It is probably the best game ever released.

Great game, but 2 will always be my favorite.

Reply 2197 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Shagittarius - I'm completely agnostic to graphics in RPGs. I've played more DOS-based RPGs then any other era, so Lords of Xulima looked like modern triple-A graphics to me. 😉

@Standard Def Steve - weird games have a certain charm. A couple of others that come to mind are Inca for MS-DOS and Low G Man for NES.

Reply 2198 of 5847, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I finished the Thief2 game! This is the first and only pc game since Half Life 2 was released that I found the patience to end . What a great game it was, beside some moments and the slow config I've started the game with.
Anyway I didn't use cheat or guides, just old fashion save and load again and again gaming with no online help or whatever. 😀

Reply 2199 of 5847, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually finishing a large number of games I played briefly back in the 90s/early-00s is one of my main motivations for retro computing. I used to give up way to easily! Not just this game is too hard, but I can't be bothered learning the gameplay style and tactics needed to win. I think Theif(1) was one of them, the whole stealth thing was too much of a change coming off blazing FPSs like Quake/Unreal/DN3D etc. Same with a lot of RTS/4X games I just gave up on. Now I am realizing if I take the time to learn how to play the games properly, there are a lot of rewarding experiences to be had.