VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2.7.x and related WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 160 of 474, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, has anyone mentioned to you that your website is being blocked by some browsers for “being possibly harmful” ? I had to use one of the old browsers from an old windows VM to get there.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 163 of 474, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote on 2020-09-17, 08:11:

Yes. Every browser that are plagued by Google Safe Browsing are affected (practically Chrome and Firefox).

Safari and Edge too.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 166 of 474, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote on 2020-09-17, 13:35:

Edge works fine for me. It's based on Smartscreen, at least on Windows.

But you're using the new Edge Chromium or the old Edge?

Plot twist: Edge Chromium on my Mac works fine too. Strange, I could swear I saw a full red page warning about a harmful page. I probably confused it with Google Chrome. No idea why Google Safe Browsing says that about your site though

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 167 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using Edge Chromium. But it's all for the same, the old one was also based on SmartScreen, Google Safe Browsing is not included in any MS product (I think).

No idea why Google Safe Browsing says that about your site though

I very much have: because all what GSB bots do is periodically loose the AV engine set of VirusTotal on internet websites and if ~15 out of 60 find a (any) file infected/malware then it marks the entire site harmful.
Currently dgVoodoo2_62.zip or sg like that is found infected by those AV craps but I won't remove it, I don't have time and mood anymore to experiment with how my site is acceptable to our divine almighty Lord, Google.

Reply 168 of 474, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote on 2020-08-17, 07:40:
legion_pheonix wrote on 2020-08-17, 07:09:

Dege, please add Direct3D 9 support to Output API.

Why? D3D9 will be dump in the next future. DX9c = 16 years ago. Nvidia, AMD (and maybe Intel) drivers (9a,9b) are already broken, it's why Dege already gave us the D3D9 wrapper.
If you want a D3D8to9 wrapper: https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9

So all D3D9 games are broken with modern drivers without a wrapper?

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 170 of 474, by syhlif32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I'm going to clear my mind, I'm fed up with dgVoodoo. 😁 At least, with coding, for a while.

Well you deserve a rest Dege!
This is for me the very best version until now. My old dx8/ dx9 race sims runs better than ever in dx12.
About same or even higher fps and way smoother likely as the load gets spread out on several cores compared to running with out.

Great job and thanks for your work.

Reply 172 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, Guys!

One note: D3D11 backend is implicitly background threaded too (even nowadays D3D9), in the D3D11-driver. At least in case of AMD and nVidia (Intel seems to be single threaded).
But, with D3D12 dgVoodoo outsources not only the cost of D3D12-calls but most of its own additional overhead too to another thread, that's what is extra compared to the D3D11 backend.

Reply 173 of 474, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-09-19, 10:38:

Thanks, Guys!

One note: D3D11 backend is implicitly background threaded too (even nowadays D3D9), in the D3D11-driver. At least in case of AMD and nVidia (Intel seems to be single threaded).
But, with D3D12 dgVoodoo outsources not only the cost of D3D12-calls but most of its own additional overhead too to another thread, that's what is extra compared to the D3D11 backend.

Will the possibility of low-level access to the video card be added?
In the nvidia panel setting added the ability to set sharpness in games, thus many older games will be able to have sharper images and textures due to sharpness.

Reply 175 of 474, by Icy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About all those games which have problems with increasing resolution resulting in double cursor or post fx misalignment - could there be a potential fix in the future or it's just how it is for now and there's nothing anyone can do?

Reply 176 of 474, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Icy wrote on 2020-09-21, 11:32:

About all those games which have problems with increasing resolution resulting in double cursor or post fx misalignment - could there be a potential fix in the future or it's just how it is for now and there's nothing anyone can do?

This and screen flickering during fade-in/fade-out effects when forcing high resolutions, intro videos of some games not working, poor support of some ancient ddraw and gdi games, especially some hybrid ddraw/gdi or ddraw/d3d ones. Don't get me wrong: dgvoodoo2 achievements are amazing AS IS, I simply wanted to show some weak points where the tool still suffers and it deserves to improve. Thanx Dege 😉

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 177 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks!
However, most of the problems with ancient DDraw and ancient way of movie playback is GDI itself. I came to a conculsion in many cases that either Windows' on compat layer conflicting with dgVoodoo or GDI internals is the problem.
One way would be wrapping GDI itself, but... 😀

Unfortunately I can only say that (emulated) mouse problems are as is for now, I don't know when I'll get some time to investigate really heavy cases and what I can do for them. 😐

post fx misalignment

Do you mean artifacts resulting from forced resolution?

Reply 178 of 474, by legion_pheonix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2020-09-19, 20:32:

for sharp textures set force point sampled textures filtering in dgvoodoo2 control panel

This is a completely different quality.
What is needed is the sharpness from Nvidia, since it works correctly and shows a beautiful clear view. And your option is just a texture filter that degrades the 3D picture in general, especially the shadows. Certainly anisotropy is needed in this case.