VOGONS

Common searches

Is anyone excited for Big Navi?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-09-17, 17:00:

If people are going to be that wasteful with money, they might as well go for the 3090.

One of the eBay listings I saw was actually priced the same as the 3090 will be.

Edit: also something weird is going on with bidding rounds. A lot of cards being really, really excessively priced. eBay should probably look into why some cards are being sold for US $20,100.00.

Are they actually selling though? Or being cancelled so they don't get "fake bids" on them? The seller would likely have to re-list if the item got a load of fake bids on it which they don't want!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 41 of 264, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll be sticking with my heavenly combo of GTX1060 + RX590 for a long long while. Not that I don't like eye-candies. I actually long for them.

But with the on-going head-on do-or-die semiconductor & GPU market competitions, I have this vibe that the next iteration would be way too sexier than any1 can imagine.

Reply 42 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-09-17, 17:09:

If people are going to be that wasteful with money, they might as well go for the 3090.

One of the eBay listings I saw was actually priced the same as the 3090 will be.

Edit: also something weird is going on with bidding rounds. A lot of cards being really, really excessively priced. eBay should probably look into why some cards are being sold for US $20,100.00.

Are they actually selling though? Or being cancelled so they don't get "fake bids" on them? The seller would likely have to re-list if the item got a load of fake bids on it which they don't want!

Well obviously they're fake. I thought it was just trolling, but it seemed so weirdly selective I considered if it was just some kind amateur money laundering.

Reply 43 of 264, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 10GB is a concern for me since I currently have a 1080TI (11GB) and I usually upgrade video cards every 4-5 years and I am planning to get an ultrawide monitor once there is a bit more competition. Of course the consoles as always will likely limit that somewhat but there are always the games that push the limits and mods of course.

It looks like Nvidia has higher memory versions waiting for release once AMD releases their cards so I'll evaluate what things look like then. Guess I'll be dropping money on a new video card, monitor, motherboard, cpu, SSD end of this year.

One thing is for sure AMD drivers are still subpar compared to Nvidia so the next card will be Nvidia for sure unless Intel releases something out of left field and even them I'm not about to buy their alpha product. I know people complain about Nvidia closed source Linux drivers but my desktop is a gaming machine so it of course runs Windows so that doesn't affect me.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-09-18, 21:49. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 44 of 264, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On one of the other forums I am on, one of the members said they made some bots to screw with the scalpers.

I saw one 3080 that was bid up to $100,000 BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

I was also looking around on eBay and saw a bunch of the normal scam listings for "pictures" of a 3080.

RTX-3080-ebay-BWAHAHAHAHA.PNG
Filename
File size
87.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 45 of 264, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just put together a ryzen 3700x based system but since the new cards were coming out I stuck a 1050ti in there
temporarily, it's all I had. Everyone says wait but the thing is it could be AFTER the holidays till a lowly serf like
myself can get a hold of a 3070. The temptation to say hell with it and get a 2070 super is very strong.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 51 of 264, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going for another 10 years with the current equipment, assuming neither me nor the equipment dies at any point until then. Well, the GPU is 6 years old since I upgraded it once since I put the computer together. The spare one in the basement is still in perfect condition, though more wasteful in the power consumption department.

Either way, they can keep those cards. I don't pay more than 200€ for those things.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 52 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-09-19, 09:52:

I'm starting to think the 4080 series will be the one to get. 5nm, mcm, pcie4, etc.

Replying to this again, but I think the major thing to wait for the 4080 series for would be more VRAM.

Yes, I know, lots of experts are saying 10 GB VRAM is enough, but I've heard that story before.

Not that I'm waiting 6+ months to upgrade. I've already ordered a 3080.

Reply 53 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I owned a GTX 690 which was good all the way until the 1080 was released, the only reason was VRAM, suddenly the 690 didn't have enough VRAM for games and settings has to be tweaked. I think the 690 is THE reason nvidia has done away with SLI for the most part. The 690 was better or comperable than the top of the line cards for the next 2 generations and there was no reason to upgrade.

Reply 54 of 264, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-18, 21:47:
On one of the other forums I am on, one of the members said they made some bots to screw with the scalpers. […]
Show full quote

On one of the other forums I am on, one of the members said they made some bots to screw with the scalpers.

I saw one 3080 that was bid up to $100,000 BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

I was also looking around on eBay and saw a bunch of the normal scam listings for "pictures" of a 3080.

I remember a similar thing happening back when covid started becoming a real thing and people started hoarding toilet paper and aspirin. Someone had apparently bought tons of boxes of aspirin and was trying to sell them at a profit on marktplaats (which is a local selling site in The Netherlands) and the lower bids seemed genuine, but then came bids like 999999 or something for a single pack of aspirin! I LMAO so loudly, the neighbors must've thought I had finally lost my mind! xD 😜

But anyway, to get on topic, I'm currently using a 260X or something? (older AMD graphics card) and have no plans to upgrade this card any time soon, if only because I currently need the budget elsewhere.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2020-09-20, 19:38. Edited 2 times in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 55 of 264, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"NVIDIA Hints At RTX 3080 Graphics Card With 20GB Memory"

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-hints-at-rtx-3080 … th-20gb-memory/

I would never have guessed that NV would have screwed up the release of the 3080 like they did with the 2080 (RMAs and all), but it appears they did.

Reply 57 of 264, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-09-20, 19:37:

I would never have guessed that NV would have screwed up the release of the 3080 like they did with the 2080 (RMAs and all), but it appears they did.

It's just another model at probably a higher pricepoint to compete with whatever AMD has in the pipeline. Buying a 3xxx card before AMD shows its hand is probably a bad idea.

Reply 58 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD has in its hand what it always does , a value proposition for a second place card. With 2 exceptions in their history of course, just don't think this is one of those times. NVidias offering looks pretty strong, plus 1st gen ray tracing hardware on the AMD cards, no thanks.

Reply 59 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote on 2020-09-21, 04:04:
kolderman wrote on 2020-09-20, 19:37:

It's just another model at probably a higher pricepoint to compete with whatever AMD has in the pipeline. Buying a 3xxx card before AMD shows its hand is probably a bad idea.

I doubt Nvidia can fast-track a card enough to use it as a reaction, you'll be waiting months. If AMD's announcement necessitates a reaction, it will probably be a price drop.

So if you're locked into Nvidia somehow, no point in waiting. If you aren't, might want to wait to see if AMD's cards are better, but I wouldn't wait for Nvidia's reaction.

Of course, spending 699$ on toys is a bad idea in general.