Common searches

Metal Gear Solid PC

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 62, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No errors in the dxdiag. And no....I'm not keen on using those drivers since I would be afraid of issues with my other newer games. Not worth mucking up my pc to play one game 😉

Reply 21 of 62, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the most part, those modded drivers are actually just the offical drivers but with a different set of default driver configuration settings. The only other significant thing I've ever seen them do to customize them is to swap out the OpenGL DLL with a different, more stable version.

I don't use modded drivers because I tweak the official Catalysts myself with Radlinker and ATI Tray Tools

Reply 23 of 62, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HunterZ: You also run Omega drivers?

Edit: Lol sorry for senseless question, but I was drunk and didnt see existence of 2nd page 🤣^^

Last edited by cmw on 2005-08-11, 14:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 62, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The guy who makes the drivers actually is Beta Tester for ATI, for the ATI Set: The OpenGL dlls could be swapped in earlier releases to make them more compatibel for eg CounterStrike, however, this has been removed.

What he actually does with the drivers is, that he kinda "tweaks" them (I think he puts some picture "enbaeautifulment" code lines away for the gain of speed (or other so things). If he would just mess around with config settings, the drivers should be like same size then the official ones (the install exe), but they arent...

Apart from that, its always worth a try, if the drivers dont work (which is quite unlikely, they should even make new games run smoother), you can always revert to the official drivers without problems...

Reply 26 of 62, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you saying that the individual driver files are different sizes, or are you referring to the total package size? If it's the latter then there's no surprise that the size is different, as he's probably using a totally different installation system. He also bundles ATI Tray Tools and Radlinker with his driver.

I really doubt that a beta tester would have access to the source code and the build environment.

Note that I'm not trying to knock the efforts of driver modders. I just want to make sure noone (including myself) is misinformed. I also prefer to avoid modded drivers because they don't provide detailed lists of what they've done (probably for competitive reasons), so I can never tell what to look for if they make my system unstable.

Reply 27 of 62, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Are you saying that the individual driver files are different sizes, or are you referring to the total package size? If it's the latter then there's no surprise that the size is different, as he's probably using a totally different installation system. He also bundles ATI Tray Tools and Radlinker with his driver.

I really doubt that a beta tester would have access to the source code and the build environment.

Note that I'm not trying to knock the efforts of driver modders. I just want to make sure noone (including myself) is misinformed. I also prefer to avoid modded drivers because they don't provide detailed lists of what they've done (probably for competitive reasons), so I can never tell what to look for if they make my system unstable.

Thats my real issue as well. Right now I am using some modded drivers because they were supposed to have helped (which they didn't) and I can't even tell any difference. It makes me wonder what is so different that they can't tell me.

Reply 28 of 62, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok I don't like reviving dead threads....but anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I really want to play MGS on my PC in hardware mode, but its impossible. No matter of trickery seems to make it listen to me.

Reply 29 of 62, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Download and execute DXCAPSVIEWER7 from this page:

http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/?page=/ … ntact/tips.html

Then go to "Direct3D Devices", open "Primary Display Device" or "Hardware Emulation Layer", open "Microsoft Direct3D Hardware Acceleration through Direct3D HAL" or "Microsoft Direct3D Hardware Transform and Lighting acceleration capable device", and go to "Texture Formats" folder. On the left window, look for an entry called "8 bit | RGB PAL8". If you can't find it, your graphics card/driver setup won't support 8-bit palletized textures, so Metal Gear Solid's engine fallbacks to software mode.

There's no update, patch or trick that solves this problem, the only way to go would be to modify the value returned by the EnumTextureFormats function to force the game detecting a fake support of 8-bit palletized textures. This would allow Metal Gear Solid to work in hardware mode, but graphical glitches are expected that may make the game unplayable. I'll try to develop a hack to do this, but I can't promise anything.

Reply 30 of 62, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I personally became tired of searching and trying wierd solutions.....so I instead worked with ePSXe and emulation. I got it to work properly at last and finished it a few days ago 😉

Now I'm playing MGS2 for PC, which thankfully has little problem with my PC.

Reply 31 of 62, by Simplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have the exact same problem with hardware rendering (or rather lack thereof)

batracio wrote:

Download and execute DXCAPSVIEWER7 from this page:
http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/?page=/ … ntact/tips.html
Then go to "Direct3D Devices", open "Primary Display Device" or "Hardware Emulation Layer", open "Microsoft Direct3D Hardware Acceleration through Direct3D HAL" or "Microsoft Direct3D Hardware Transform and Lighting acceleration capable device", and go to "Texture Formats" folder. On the left window, look for an entry called "8 bit | RGB PAL8". If you can't find it, your graphics card/driver setup won't support 8-bit palletized textures, so Metal Gear Solid's engine fallbacks to software mode.

That's right. At least I know why it happens 😀

There's no update, patch or trick that solves this problem, the only way to go would be to modify the value returned by the EnumTextureFormats function to force the game detecting a fake support of 8-bit palletized textures. This would allow Metal Gear Solid to work in hardware mode, but graphical glitches are expected that may make the game unplayable. I'll try to develop a hack to do this, but I can't promise anything.

Have you managed to develop such a hack? That would be really nice, since MGS in software mode looks horrible 🙁
Aleternatively - which "newest" nvidia card would be able to run it in accelerated mode? Looong time ago I remember playing it on riva TNT or GeForce2 MX and it worked like a charm 😀

Regards,
Simplex

Reply 32 of 62, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nice! :cool: […]
Show full quote

Nice! 😎

However I can't seem to get it to do anything. I even tried enabling "Grayscale" post processing to make sure it was actually working but the game came up in colour 😢

When I changed my video card id it was detected as a 6800 still....

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I just clicked the ID changer checkbox and then clicked "Active" and then "Start" to run the game. It went into the game and it nothing changed detection wise.

I tried a few other settings but it doesnt seem to even be working at all....

greyscale didnt work cause your in software mode when in the game maybe.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 33 of 62, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Simplex wrote:

Have you managed to develop such a hack? That would be really nice, since MGS in software mode looks horrible 🙁

Sorry, I haven't done it yet, I'm still waiting for a friend of mine to give me the DirectX7 SDK with debugging libraries and a copy of Visual Studio 6.0 (well, I could manage without them if I was an assembly guru... but I'm not).

Simplex wrote:

Aleternatively - which "newest" nvidia card would be able to run it in accelerated mode? Looong time ago I remember playing it on riva TNT or GeForce2 MX and it worked like a charm 😀

The newest nvidia cards with 8-bit textures support are the 5x series (5200, 5600, 5900 and so on). But nvidia not only has dropped hardware support for palletized textures, they also dropped software support in recent drivers. This means that you would also need to install a previous version of Detonator/Forceware (I think 4x.xx or 5x.xx versions will do the job).

Last edited by batracio on 2006-05-28, 20:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34 of 62, by Simplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
batracio wrote:

Sorry, I haven't done it yet, I'm still waiting for a friend of mine to give me the DirectX7 SDK with debugging libraries and a copy of Visual Studio 6.0 (well, I could manage without them if I was an assembly guru, but I'm not).

Take your time 😀 I can wait 😀 If you succeeded that would be great. Please post on forum if you do, I will be wating 😀

batracio wrote:

The newest nvidia cards with 8-bit textures support are the 5x series (5200, 5600, 5900 and so on). But nvidia not only has dropped hardware support for palletized textures, but they also dropped software support in recent drivers. This means that you would also need to install a previous version of Detonator/Forceware (I think 4x.xx or 5x.xx versions will do the job).

Thanks for precious intelligence. Maybe I'll find an old computer with GeForce 2 and play. After all, the game does not have high hardware requirements by modern standards.

Regards,
Simplex

Reply 35 of 62, by Squid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did checked what betracio said about DXCAPSVIEWER7 and i did found that 8 bit | RGB PAL8 line in there. As i understand that means my video card (gforce 4200 ti) can support MGS in better resolution...Alas, the game keeps crashing and resets itself to software default settings. I dont know how, but for 1 time it didint crashed, i didin't changed anything *conused*and i played the game in high res. until my pc accsidentally rebooted... Can someone help me out with this please? Or do i have to wait for someone (like betracio) to make a patch (that would be great).

Reply 36 of 62, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nvidia forceware 4x.xx is the latest series for nvidia tnt2 cards etc. so that may be the last series to support palletised textures.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 37 of 62, by rennervision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've actually been having video card problems with both MGS 1 and 2. Like everyone else, I can only play 1 in software mode. But I was surprised that a newer game like 2 isn't compatible with modern video cards either.

For what it's worth, I can play 2 with a fix I downloaded. I've attached it to this post. (Just replace the files in your directory with these.)

Many PC users also report a problem playing MGS 1 where the game freezes after defeating Psycho Mantis or during the prison cell/torture chamber scenes. The only way to progress past these points is to have saved games after these scenes. I found some on the internet and attached them as well.

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure out how to play MGS 1 with a Geforce 7800 GS in hardware mode. Anybody have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Filename
    mgs2_v2[1].0_nvidia-fix.rar
    File size
    4.49 MiB
    Downloads
    49713 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    mgs_pc_fix.rar
    File size
    19.63 KiB
    Downloads
    1664 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 38 of 62, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rennervision wrote:

Many PC users also report a problem playing MGS 1 where the game freezes after defeating Psycho Mantis or during the prison cell/torture chamber scenes. The only way to progress past these points is to have saved games after these scenes.

Or you can buy a complete, legitimate copy of the game instead of playing a rip with missing voice samples that cause the game to freeze.