VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the original thread which has since been closed:
Fake 486 Processor?

I won the auction on the one I bid on... thanks to all for not bidding.

I received it a couple days ago and just tested it in my PC-Chips M912 v1.4 motherboard and it works just fine. This is the motherboard that is in use in one of my builds. First and only board I have tried it on.

I had an Intel Overdrive DX4-75 running at 100Mhz before this.

All I did was change the voltage settings from 5v to 3.3v before testing for boot.... well, besides also putting a heatsink/fan on the new CPU.

It booted up but locked at the Windows 98SE boot screen.

I then rebooted and hit F8 to bring up the boot menu and booted to a DOS command prompt.

After looking at the jumper chart again, I saw that there were jumpers that needed to be set for the SL Enhanced CPUs so I set those.

After that it booted up into Windows 98SE fine.

So, I can confirm that these CPUs are not fake. Guessing the OP of the original thread just doesn't have a motherboard that is compatible with them.

Pics of the CPU that was sent to me:
Yes, that is a 3D-printed enclosure around the foam. Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to to protect a "fake" less than $9 CPU.

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
527.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 31, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you very much for testing and sharing your results! 😎

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Quadrachewski wrote on 2020-09-21, 05:58:

I'll let the seller know that user wiretap owes him a big apology for his false counterfeit report.

I would wait to see if wiretap posts in here first.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 31, by Quadrachewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-21, 06:03:

I'll let the seller know that user wiretap owes him a big apology for his false counterfeit report.

We're not the ones he wronged, it's the seller. His business suffered because of this and his rep was tarnished on a public forum.
He owes that apology to him, not us. It's on his conscience now.

Reply 5 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Quadrachewski wrote on 2020-09-21, 06:08:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-21, 06:03:

We're not the ones he wronged, it's the seller. His business suffered because of this and his rep was tarnished on a public forum.
He owes that apology to him, not us. It's on his conscience now.

Right. I'm just going by wiretap saying that he would admit if he was wrong.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It quickly got out of hand in the other thread, please keep it civil.

I'll keep this open for now mostly because of the new information Cyclone3d provided.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 31, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not related to the OPs issue but to the hardware.. I also have a m912 v1.4 and after reading that your dx4 worked decided to go on another search as to why mine doesnt.... V1.4 does not support AMD dx4 😀

Could have saved myself an hour if I had found a 1.4 manual sooner (was using 1.7)

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 9 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We've confirmed it's a working 486 capable of running at the specs advertised. That's a big step, but doesn't rule out re-marking of a recycled CPU (another kind of faking). What happens if you rub top and/or bottom with acetone?

Reply 11 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A jinn comes out and offers you three wishes.

Actually a fairy, which will offer you legit 486DX4, Xeon Gold or Xeon Platinum.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 12 of 31, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's good news and confirms that there must just be quite a number of DoA chips in the batch he was selling. (or several people didn't have correct mobo's) I'm glad the controversy has been cleared up and it is not counterfeit. I sent an Ebay message with this thread link to the same place I initially did, but I'm not sure where it goes or if Ebay even cares. I doubt the seller sees it.

Are you going to remove the die cap to see if it matches the design of other DX4-100's?

Please post benchmark results as well, it would be interesting to see if there are any differences or enhancements on this chip compared to old ones. CPU-Z or CPU ID would also be neat to compare.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 13 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-09-21, 11:04:

We've confirmed it's a working 486 capable of running at the specs advertised. That's a big step, but doesn't rule out re-marking of a recycled CPU (another kind of faking). What happens if you rub top and/or bottom with acetone?

Well, the die cap is larger than the older CPUs so it can't be a remarked older CPU unless they put another die cap on top of the original one.

Since the top is painted and not etched, wouldn't Acetone probably remove it regardless?... guess I could try in a corner and see what happens.

I'll have to get some Acetone first since I ran out a while ago.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-21, 11:45:

That's good news and confirms that there must just be quite a number of DoA chips in the batch he was selling. (or several people didn't have correct mobo's) I'm glad the controversy has been cleared up and it is not counterfeit. I sent an Ebay message with this thread link to the same place I initially did, but I'm not sure where it goes or if Ebay even cares. I doubt the seller sees it.

Are you going to remove the die cap to see if it matches the design of other DX4-100's?

Please post benchmark results as well, it would be interesting to see if there are any differences or enhancements on this chip compared to old ones. CPU-Z or CPU ID would also be neat to compare.

Well.. since it works, I don't really want to take the die cap off.

I'll post benchmarks when I get a chance though.

The same seller still has more though. He posted 2 more of them.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 31, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe this video I recently stumbled upon helps (how to identify fake Pentiums): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKjX6UGYUQ
If the chip is somehow reprinted you usually don't get the typical very sharp 45° chamfered edges on the ceramic package.

On the other hand ... the intel marking is indeed suspicious (no lower "e" and no (c) or (tm)) - there's also various forum posts dating back to 2010 assuming those as fakes.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 16 of 31, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-09-21, 08:52:

Not related to the OPs issue but to the hardware.. I also have a m912 v1.4 and after reading that your dx4 worked decided to go on another search as to why mine doesnt.... V1.4 does not support AMD dx4 😀

Could have saved myself an hour if I had found a 1.4 manual sooner (was using 1.7)

Really ? I have two v1.4 and they could run a amd 5x86 and I'm sure it also ran a amd dx4 !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17 of 31, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-21, 16:13:
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-09-21, 08:52:

Really ? I have two v1.4 and they could run a amd 5x86 and I'm sure it also ran a amd dx4 !

Yep! Its officially not supported... Although perhaps it would of worked if a tired and poorly me had not left the jumpers on 25mhz..? 😀

Might try again soon.

Attachments

• jumpers.png
    Filename
    jumpers.png
    File size
    15.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 18 of 31, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to have it confirmed. I had said it was genuine based on a thread on cpu-world, but I couldn't find the thread to post the link. Always good to have proof when there is uncertainty 😀

Glad I cancelled my snipe - I have one with the same spec, just not as new as that one 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19 of 31, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered one as well. Looks like the seller puts up a few at a time for sale. Mine looks exactly like the pictures here and also works fine.

Edit: ive ordered two more so I’ll delid one to see what we are dealing with.