VOGONS

First post, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With CPU Cycles set to any fixed value, Max or Auto the performance in this game is wildly inconsistent. I figured upgrading from an Intel i7 920 to a Ryzen 3700X would help but... nope the behaviour remains completely unchanged. Increasing CPU cycles slows down the music while having no impact on gameplay performance and lowering cycles below 40,000 causes worsening average performance.

Last edited by franpa on 2020-09-25, 08:09. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 1 of 4, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In fact, the Ryzen 3700X CPU performs worse. The ten year old Intel i7 920 CPU at least varied in speed depending on where you were in the first level, from slow to full speed in niche areas where as the Ryzen 3700X is slow or very slow.

Is the program crossing the CCX boundary constantly? It looks like it constantly bounces between cores at a very rapid pace the entire time the program is operating, even without a game loaded (Task manager set to high refresh).

DOSBox 0.74-3 didn't improve the situation under Windows 10.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Filename
    Untitled.png
    File size
    80.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 4, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Messing with it some more, it seems Max at around 90% with Normal CPU Core is the best it can be. It seems like maybe it's performing better on average than the Intel i7 920 but the performance is more inconsistent which makes it feel worse. I also discovered that the OpenGL and Surface modes are really bad when it comes to frame pacing, those outputs create huge judder which didn't help when I was previously testing.

• Auto sets the CPU Cycle mode to Max so setting it to Auto has no impact.
  • Normal CPU Core performs a lot better than Auto/Dynamic
  • Simple Core speeds the game up even further than Normal. There are still many places where performance tanks and performance isn't 100% consistent.
  • Dynamic runs the game in slowmo.

Edit: I guess most of the frame pacing is because I use a 60Hz monitor with vsync.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-25, 19:44. Edited 1 time in total.

my website