Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 36160 of 52728, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hanamichi wrote on 2020-09-24, 21:17:

A fellow Quad DAMAGE SLI fan! If only it was possible with so many voodoos to hand.

Nice Quadro II pro, looking for one of those for a while.

I fear Artex's comeback may break the internet and/or be hazardous to other collectors state of mind 🤣

Hahahah! Nah.... not today. I DO love me some Voodoo tho! 😀 Good looking stuff! And a Thunderboard too!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 36161 of 52728, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2020-09-24, 20:25:

Fake Artex 😀

Artex is a legend

He even coined the term "do an artex". Which means to message the seller behind an auction which such a good offer than he closes it early.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 36162 of 52728, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2020-09-25, 17:44:

Fake Artex 😀

Artex is a legend

He even coined the term "do an artex". Which means to message the seller behind an auction which such a good offer than he closes it early.

Hahaha. My legend precedes me Vetz! Good to see you and hope all is well.

In full transparency I've not had much luck with "Artexing" lately, nor do I have the free time I used to have to pounce as I used to. I also got burned pretty bad recently on an eBay transaction that has left me a bit bitter. It seems like over the last two years, something must have happened with eBay where it's almost impossible to make them side with the seller (i.e. me) even when something is undeniably (i.e with proof) wrong. So a word of caution, even if you list something as Not Accepting Returns, it's complete BS.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 36163 of 52728, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 32MB RAM Card is coming in for the Versa P/75 today, and I got the Seagate Momentous 80GB Drive last night. The P/75 is already up and running under Windows 95 but it has some way to go. The screen is an 800x600 (!!) but has the same graphics chipset as the M/75 (hmm...maybe putting the 688 in the M/75 IS possible). Due to some masterful budgeting this past month I have some wiggle room to complete all the Versas, or get them quite far along maybe.

Next up, 2 more Cisco LMC-350 WiFi Cards - then I can start looking at making the custom Antenna attachments for these (make em long and run through the case and screen) - my plan is to make it so the laptops are as close to "Modern" in WiFi as possible.

Might be stopping by Batteries Plus for the CMOS Battery (might buy two - put a new one in my M/75 while I'm at it since it's the original and the BIOS is being a little wacky sometimes). Maybe I'll bring the M/75 in and inquire about replacement batteries for the laptop itself - or getting the cells ("A" NiMH batteries) so I can rebuild some packs. I found out the pack in my P/75 is in perfect working order - using it in my M/75 now - it's an aftermarket replacement - and it has about 30-70 minutes of run time depending on whether I have the contrast up or down, whether my HDD is one of those old IBM things or the Seagate Momentous (which is rather miserly on power, it can be powered by a USB port as an external portable drive), and sitting idle it can go almost 2 hours.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 36164 of 52728, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought it done time ago, received couple of days ago, but due to suspected covid-19 exposure, I haven't been home to open up the package before today .. Loving it!

Attachments

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 36165 of 52728, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How much did you pay for the Rapid CAD set? They are selling very high prices for these.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 36166 of 52728, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-09-26, 15:04:

How much did you pay for the Rapid CAD set? They are selling very high prices for these.

Cheers,

They usually sell for around $100 for a set on CPU-World forums. Pretty sure that's where Henrick's set came from, I remember the stamps on them

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 36167 of 52728, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-26, 15:55:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-09-26, 15:04:

Cheers,

They usually sell for around $100 for a set on CPU-World forums. Pretty sure that's where Henrick's set came from, I remember the stamps on them

How right you are 😀

http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php? … hlight=rapidcad

Pretty much more than I like paying for vintage stuff, but all the years, I've been searching, this was about the cheapest I saw ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 36168 of 52728, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had Rapid CAD but made a mistake tossing it out with the board which was Asus motherboard with cache based on SIS 461 12 years ago. Oh well! I'll go there and get the set and put them in my one of my two compaqs (386DX 25 and other one is 386DX 33).

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 36170 of 52728, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote on 2020-09-26, 19:49:

8 QUID FOR THE WHOLE LOT??? that's bonkers!! 🤯

This is gonna keep you busy for quite a while 😆

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 36171 of 52728, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some nice looking cases among those. A real catch! 😁
I have recently aquired two of the Lian Li PC70 cases and they're absolutely wonderful. They came premodded with a 360mm radiator each and I want to migrate my main system into one after I added three 120mm fan holes for intake at the bottom.
Anyway, keeps us updates what treasures are inside those boxes.

Reply 36172 of 52728, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WOW! That's just insane! I have sold them separately with a shipping option - some people have too much money 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 36173 of 52728, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote on 2020-09-25, 17:53:
vetz wrote on 2020-09-25, 17:44:

Fake Artex 😀

Artex is a legend

Hahaha. My legend precedes me Vetz! Good to see you and hope all is well.

In full transparency I've not had much luck with "Artexing" lately, nor do I have the free time I used to have to pounce as I used to. I also got burned pretty bad recently on an eBay transaction that has left me a bit bitter. It seems like over the last two years, something must have happened with eBay where it's almost impossible to make them side with the seller (i.e. me) even when something is undeniably (i.e with proof) wrong. So a word of caution, even if you list something as Not Accepting Returns, it's complete BS.

Going through the same pain, I would actually accept an honest change of mind return much better, instead of lies that this person is telling me about a CPU I sold him. Thankfully it's a one off for me but it makes you think twice about trading on the bay. Hope you at least get your item back in the same shape it left.

I try the Artexing way of approaching sellers early but i get out Artex'd by others doing the same thing 😁

I can attempt an Real Artex / Fake Artex style reveal but I only have enough good stuff for one round maybe.. 🤣

Reply 36175 of 52728, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aublak wrote on 2020-09-23, 19:39:
So I've been drinking the 486 Koolaid lately and I decided I wanted to get into it. I don't really have a history with the 486 a […]
Show full quote

So I've been drinking the 486 Koolaid lately and I decided I wanted to get into it. I don't really have a history with the 486 and yet here I am. I believe my first (family) computer was a Packard Bell with an early Pentium. Well maybe one of those school computers were likely a 386/486.

Anyways I bought this 486 mainboard (Epox GXA486SPM) along with a DX2, a Am5x86, and some unknown ram. Its missing it eprom chip, but I have a programmer arriving today. So we'll see how that goes.

Then I bought an entire 386sx computer because I just wanted the case. So now I guess I have a 386 as well. I don't even know how to get started with this, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go along.

The main thing I'm worried about is that PSU. I wouldn't know how to check it for safety.

So that Epox board isn't working out.

So I bought another 486 board (Biostar M B - 8433UUD - A). This one is going to need a bit of work.

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_213731.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200926_213731.jpg
    File size
    1.53 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    I heard of these RTCs. There seems to be a lot of methods towards making them work again.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20200926_213722.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200926_213722.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    lost traces. not sure what gauge wire I should use on a motherboard.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20200926_213659.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200926_213659.jpg
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    don't know what these multi-legged things are called, but there's rust around them.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20200926_213604.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200926_213604.jpg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Biostar M B - 8433UUD - A
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 36177 of 52728, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There seems to be a lot of methods towards making them work again.

You can buy replacement, since rev 3.0 has swappable RTC.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 36179 of 52728, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aublak wrote on 2020-09-27, 01:44:
Aublak wrote on 2020-09-23, 19:39:
So I've been drinking the 486 Koolaid lately and I decided I wanted to get into it. I don't really have a history with the 486 a […]
Show full quote

So I've been drinking the 486 Koolaid lately and I decided I wanted to get into it. I don't really have a history with the 486 and yet here I am. I believe my first (family) computer was a Packard Bell with an early Pentium. Well maybe one of those school computers were likely a 386/486.

Anyways I bought this 486 mainboard (Epox GXA486SPM) along with a DX2, a Am5x86, and some unknown ram. Its missing it eprom chip, but I have a programmer arriving today. So we'll see how that goes.

Then I bought an entire 386sx computer because I just wanted the case. So now I guess I have a 386 as well. I don't even know how to get started with this, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go along.

The main thing I'm worried about is that PSU. I wouldn't know how to check it for safety.

So that Epox board isn't working out.

So I bought another 486 board (Biostar M B - 8433UUD - A). This one is going to need a bit of work.

Those are resistor packs but a bit of surface rust should not be a problem.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter