Oldbie

Found at Computer Reset - IBM 7496 Executive Workstation

The comment section is a goldmine!

Reply 2 of 133, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I cringed so hard when he put that paper clip into the PSU.

Way to mistreat a rare piece of hardware.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 133, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like his videos normally, but this is bad. It reminds me of his infamous "AI" episode, in which he claimed that if he wasn't so busy with other things he could just sit down and make a real AI himself... he ended up removing that video when it got too negative, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up taking this one down too.

Reply 4 of 133, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

13 ohms is not a direct short

Even a NOS machine should be opened and checked before powering on. That goes for the PSU too.

One of those cheap plastic folding hex screw sets are all you need to remove those screws. Just check that the keys have a hole for the dimple.

ETA: This will do it

https://www.gamepcf.com/index.php?main_page=p … ducts_id=678516

Be aware though that in my experience the metal on these is soft and wears out quickly. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by Errius on 2020-09-26, 12:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 133, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it was painful to watch when he shorted what was obviously just a mains connector by cable colors alone 😦

and yes the multimeter clearly showed 15 ohms even iirc, not a dead short.

Reply 6 of 133, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ate Shit Guy doing his thing 😀
I do get that people like him for the production value of his videos, but he's often such a clueless, raging idiot I wouldn't let him near any hardware.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 7 of 133, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's one of those videos, where David audibly and visibly really doesn't care about the computer in question, and to rush it out the door, goes utterly hamfisted on "fixing" and "diagnosing" it. Well, even in quotation marks, diagnosing doesn't fit, given he just tries random stuff like the paperclip or impatiently taking a dremel to screws and butchering the PSU housing. Worst of all, that IBM isn't even his, it's going to a computer museum.

We all make mistakes, but David ought to stop bumrushing his "restorations".

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 8 of 133, by alfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An annoyed man decided it was a good day to short the mains. Then complained that he "wasted too much time on the project" by looking for a fuse.
I respect the dude and all, but there are times (when you clearly make one wrong decision after another) you should stop and rethink your strategy.
He chose to stay ignorant and applied the brute force.

Sorry for the machine. I would downvote if I had a YT account.

Reply 9 of 133, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote on 2020-09-26, 13:01:

Ate Shit Guy doing his thing 😀
I do get that people like him for the production value of his videos, but he's often such a clueless, raging idiot I wouldn't let him near any hardware.

+1

Reply 12 of 133, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, he screwed up with the PSU, but I wouldn't say the video was horrible overall.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 133, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just watched. 8-bit guy's hardware competence level is cringe. The only thing I learned from this video is that this computer exists and he should be kept very far away from it. I stopped following this moron a while ago. I think he did something stupid with an original apple ][ case, I don't remember.

Reply 14 of 133, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was that the Video where they used resin to close the holes a former owner has made into it ?

Not sure.. what Problem he has, it seems the System is fully fixable.
And even with ISA, a nice 8086 Machine.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 17 of 133, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was wondering how long it would be before a thread appeared.

As soon as I saw the paperclip it was like watching a car crash unfold in front of me. This was the complete opposite of the filthy Commodore 64 he restored - I vicariously enjoyed that being restored to working condition. I did not enjoy a sense of participating in this.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 18 of 133, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2020-09-26, 17:10:

Was that the Video where they used resin to close the holes a former owner has made into it ?

Yeah, the resin job was really good, but then it was done by a Disney prop artist. He had warned David he wouldn't be able to fully color match it with the little time they had at the Maker Faire, so it was on David to do a good paint job. However, as usual, he alots far too little time for his restoration work, and when the dark gray Krylon paints at the hardware store weren't exactly perfect, he just haphazardly two-toned it with black paint.

Still, with that machine, it was damaged anyways, so this is still a good improvement. But again, had he taken the time to get it color matched, it'd have been close to perfect. I know he has said he just can't work on projects for long due to the current studio setup (the workbench on camera is the only one he currently has), so I very much hope his new studio and workshop building will allow him to actually take some care in his work by just taking his time. That, and him not taking on rare/mint machines he has little interest in and care about...

sUd4xjs.gif