VOGONS

Reply 16760 of 27364, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I've been attempting to diagnose why my recent Turbo XT acquisition keeps corrupting the HDD when it's in turbo mode... even though the machine has managed to pass multiple different diagnostic tools' testing with flying colours and zero errors.

Investigations are ongoing!

Attachments

Reply 16761 of 27364, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2020-09-20, 07:13:

I managed most of the cabling within my general purpose 98SE/Late-DOS/W2k system, freeing up some extra resources that can eventually find their way in to a Pentium/S7 build I want to eventually do. I can still work a little more to make it completely clean, but I'm good for now.
image0.jpg

Hi! Browsing the thread I noticed you haven't (yet) got the J12 and J13 jumpers shorted on your GA-6BXC despite using a Voodoo3 3000 AGP.
Just in case you didn't know: Those jumpers are intended for use with Voodoo3 cards. The original AGP VRM on many Gigabyte boards would often overheat when a Voodoo3 or Geforce card was used so they incorporated those jumpers on later revisions of affected boards to bypass the VRM and feed the slot 3.3V directly from the ATX PSU.
If you haven't done so already I recommend setting the jumpers so your board doesn't fry and potentially take the graphics card with it like it happened ever so often back in 1999.
Cheers! 😀

Reply 16762 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kdr wrote on 2020-09-26, 04:58:

Today I've been attempting to diagnose why my recent Turbo XT acquisition keeps corrupting the HDD when it's in turbo mode... even though the machine has managed to pass multiple different diagnostic tools' testing with flying colours and zero errors.

ISA Bus overclock most likely?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16763 of 27364, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2020-09-25, 22:09:
Turbo -> wrote on 2020-09-25, 21:01:
liqmat wrote on 2020-09-25, 14:56:

My favorite Atari computer model and this one cleaned up nicely.

What kind of cable did you use to hook your Atari to TV?

A composite A/V cable.

Does the cable look like this? I'm asking because I'm getting ready to change some RAM's on the same unit for my friend, but before I attempt to do this, I would like to connect it to TV and see how it behaves.

Attachments

Reply 16764 of 27364, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-26, 08:00:

I measured the DMA controller's clock, it's 4Mhz when in turbo mode (and 4.77Mhz in normal mode) so seems within spec.

I guess it's time to start writing a minimal test program that can reproduce the corruption, and then trace through its execution to find out exactly what gets corrupted and how. 😀

Reply 16765 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Turbo -> wrote on 2020-09-26, 08:32:
liqmat wrote on 2020-09-25, 22:09:
Turbo -> wrote on 2020-09-25, 21:01:

What kind of cable did you use to hook your Atari to TV?

A composite A/V cable.

Does the cable look like this? I'm asking because I'm getting ready to change some RAM's on the same unit for my friend, but before I attempt to do this, I would like to connect it to TV and see how it behaves.

Yes sir. Purchased it off Ebay IIRC.

Reply 16766 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kdr wrote on 2020-09-26, 10:05:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-26, 08:00:

I measured the DMA controller's clock, it's 4Mhz when in turbo mode (and 4.77Mhz in normal mode) so seems within spec.

I guess it's time to start writing a minimal test program that can reproduce the corruption, and then trace through its execution to find out exactly what gets corrupted and how. 😀

Honestly would just try a different/newer MFM controller. Most problems I have run into with MFM tech is a failing cable or controller. Those full metal jacket Seagate MFM drives usually hold up pretty well in my experience. I mean, yeah, I have to tag some bad sectors, but overall they just keep on spinning. Unfortunately I am not near my gear right now otherwise I would send you a couple of newer model MFM controllers for testing.

Whoops, just realized you are in NZ. That would not be cost effective. 🤣

Reply 16767 of 27364, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2020-09-26, 14:02:

Honestly would just try a different/newer MFM controller. Most problems I have run into with MFM tech is a failing cable or controller. Those full metal jacket Seagate MFM drives usually hold up pretty well in my experience. I mean, yeah, I have to tag some bad sectors, but overall they just keep on spinning. Unfortunately I am not near my gear right now otherwise I would send you a couple of newer model MFM controllers for testing.

Well the problem is far more sinister than just a bad controller/drive or an overclocked ISA bus...

SpeedStor and SpinRite say that my ST-238R is in perfect condition, not a single bad sector (!!!) or seek error (!). [Yes, while running in turbo mode.] But any access via the DOS/BIOS disk routines provokes corruption on both read and write when in turbo mode. Even worse, it affects the floppy drive too!

This is such an interesting bug that I'm determined to get to the bottom of it! Surely must be some hardware glitch, after all. At least debugging that is a realistic option on a turbo XT clone motherboard (everything is in DIP packages on a plain old double-sided PCB with <10Mhz signals). I'd hate to have to track down a hardware fault on my 486 VLB motherboard, for instance... 😁

Reply 16768 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kdr wrote on 2020-09-26, 22:21:
Well the problem is far more sinister than just a bad controller/drive or an overclocked ISA bus... […]
Show full quote
liqmat wrote on 2020-09-26, 14:02:

Well the problem is far more sinister than just a bad controller/drive or an overclocked ISA bus...

SpeedStor and SpinRite say that my ST-238R is in perfect condition, not a single bad sector (!!!) or seek error (!). [Yes, while running in turbo mode.] But any access via the DOS/BIOS disk routines provokes corruption on both read and write when in turbo mode. Even worse, it affects the floppy drive too!

This is such an interesting bug that I'm determined to get to the bottom of it! Surely must be some hardware glitch, after all. At least debugging that is a realistic option on a turbo XT clone motherboard (everything is in DIP packages on a plain old double-sided PCB with <10Mhz signals). I'd hate to have to track down a hardware fault on my 486 VLB motherboard, for instance... 😁

Interesting you bring up the floppy. I had a friend who was having oddball MFM HDD issues. Sometimes it would boot, sometimes not. Sometimes it would have bad sectors, sometimes not. He unplugged the floppy drive and all the MFM HDD issues disappeared. Have you tried removing the floppy from the mix and trying it again in turbo? Worth a shot.

Reply 16769 of 27364, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-09-26, 06:14:
Hi! Browsing the thread I noticed you haven't (yet) got the J12 and J13 jumpers shorted on your GA-6BXC despite using a Voodoo3 […]
Show full quote
BetaC wrote on 2020-09-20, 07:13:

I managed most of the cabling within my general purpose 98SE/Late-DOS/W2k system, freeing up some extra resources that can eventually find their way in to a Pentium/S7 build I want to eventually do. I can still work a little more to make it completely clean, but I'm good for now.
image0.jpg

Hi! Browsing the thread I noticed you haven't (yet) got the J12 and J13 jumpers shorted on your GA-6BXC despite using a Voodoo3 3000 AGP.
Just in case you didn't know: Those jumpers are intended for use with Voodoo3 cards. The original AGP VRM on many Gigabyte boards would often overheat when a Voodoo3 or Geforce card was used so they incorporated those jumpers on later revisions of affected boards to bypass the VRM and feed the slot 3.3V directly from the ATX PSU.
If you haven't done so already I recommend setting the jumpers so your board doesn't fry and potentially take the graphics card with it like it happened ever so often back in 1999.
Cheers! 😀

Thank you, I was completely unaware.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 16770 of 27364, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kdr wrote on 2020-09-26, 04:58:

Wow, is that motherboard white ? Can you post a good picture of the motherboard ?
Also: if you did not format that MFM drive with that controller you could have odd issues if formatted with a different but same make/model controller... just a thought.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16771 of 27364, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picking away at what I call the Retro Console/Audio corner of the rec room (what my wife calls "the room full of your s**t"). Again, not 100% retro, but the retro consoles, turntable, component stereo are all here, and most of it has been either thrift/yard sale finds, family/friends, or mine from childhood.

IMG_20200926_233240.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200926_233240.jpg
File size
942.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 16772 of 27364, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LHN91 wrote on 2020-09-27, 03:55:

Picking away at what I call the Retro Console/Audio corner of the rec room (what my wife calls "the room full of your s**t"). Again, not 100% retro, but the retro consoles, turntable, component stereo are all here, and most of it has been either thrift/yard sale finds, family/friends, or mine from childhood.

IMG_20200926_233240.jpg

Badly missing a retro PC 😜

Reply 16773 of 27364, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Iv been at this hobby, casually. For maybe a year and a half now. ...and it finally hit me, just how bad Sound Blaster 16s are with the notorious DMA Clicking/Popping bug.

I sware. I haven't noticed it before. Maybe in one or two games, but now I'm noticing it like..everywhere. It's driving me insane. Everywhere that's not offering a native SB16 option anyway.

The minute I go slightly audiophile on my main modern PC, the minute I start noticing quirks with my retro PCs 8(

Reply 16774 of 27364, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMG_20200926_233240.jpg

Is that Toto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v6eqXGU2VE

Reply 16775 of 27364, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what my wife calls "the room full of your s**t"

Ah, the famous "Manc Cave"!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16776 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-09-27, 05:27:

Iv been at this hobby, casually. For maybe a year and a half now. ...and it finally hit me, just how bad Sound Blaster 16s are with the notorious DMA Clicking/Popping bug.

I sware. I haven't noticed it before. Maybe in one or two games, but now I'm noticing it like..everywhere. It's driving me insane. Everywhere that's not offering a native SB16 option anyway.

The minute I go slightly audiophile on my main modern PC, the minute I start noticing quirks with my retro PCs 8(

You will not refer to it as a bug, dear sir, but rather a feature. 😀 Some even find it charming. They even made a cereal after it.

snap_crackle_pop.png
Filename
snap_crackle_pop.png
File size
405.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by liqmat on 2020-09-27, 23:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16777 of 27364, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-09-27, 03:31:

Wow, is that motherboard white ? Can you post a good picture of the motherboard ?
Also: if you did not format that MFM drive with that controller you could have odd issues if formatted with a different but same make/model controller... just a thought.

MFM drive had a fresh low-level format, and as mentioned the issue seems to also affect the floppy. I can reproduce it with two different floppy controllers as well. I'm going to write a small test utility to exercise the floppy (far easier to debug because the controller is so simple) and see if I can find a particular bit pattern in the error bytes.

And yes - it is a pure white soldermask on this motherboard! It looks kind of like a NuXT except manufactured in the '80s. Here's a better photo of the entire board.

Attachments

Reply 16778 of 27364, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kdr wrote on 2020-09-27, 22:05:

MFM drive had a fresh low-level format, and as mentioned the issue seems to also affect the floppy. I can reproduce it with two different floppy controllers as well. I'm going to write a small test utility to exercise the floppy (far easier to debug because the controller is so simple) and see if I can find a particular bit pattern in the error bytes.

And yes - it is a pure white soldermask on this motherboard! It looks kind of like a NuXT except manufactured in the '80s. Here's a better photo of the entire board.

That Is a suprisingly clean and modern look for a board made in the 80s. Well done to the folks in the factory that day!

Great find 😀

Reply 16779 of 27364, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-09-27, 22:30:
kdr wrote on 2020-09-27, 22:05:

That Is a suprisingly clean and modern look for a board made in the 80s. Well done to the folks in the factory that day!

Great find 😀

Yes is a great looking board !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun