VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 133, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2020-09-26, 17:10:

Was that the Video where they used resin to close the holes a former owner has made into it ?

Wasn't it the Bell&Howell Apple II video?

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 42 of 133, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-27, 16:09:

it'll spite people on the internet

Most viewers won't care at all. It's just an old IBM.

Take his word for it (@6:44), not mine. Then have a look at the number of dislikes.

In either case, being a clickbaity destructive monkey-with-a-car-key on the interwebz, when the motivation is purely what viewers will (or won't) think, is exactly what I'm talking about.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 44 of 133, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then have a look at the number of dislikes.

Around 30% dislikes. And 11k dislikes over video with 2+ mil views is also nothing special. So my statement is still correct, most of the viewer base either didn't cared much or liked the video.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 45 of 133, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not trying to defend the guy or anything but What retro hardware you killed today or in the past :(. Killing spree stories+serial killers are welcome.Rest in pieces.

Reply 46 of 133, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's another guy on YT that smashes old pocket calculators for fun. These things aren't valuable but it still made me sad to see my old college calculator getting wrecked.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 47 of 133, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And there's a lot of channels dedicated to scrapping old hardware for gold, tantalum and other rare elements.

Reply 48 of 133, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-27, 18:55:

Then have a look at the number of dislikes.

Around 30% dislikes. And 11k dislikes over video with 2+ mil views is also nothing special. So my statement is still correct, most of the viewer base either didn't cared much or liked the video.

I already get that you know how to selective-quote a message and avoid the actual point, no need to do that twice in a row. 😉 I couldn't care less what his viewer-response breakdown looks like, the point was his stated motivation for doing it in the first place.

If it was only about "old computers", it wouldn't matter. But people do much worse and more destructive shit only for the attention and the power-rush they get out of riling up others (as long as they feel protected from any consequences). To me it's hard NOT to see the link between stunts like this and the general effects of "social media" on today's world.

Reply 49 of 133, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

his stated motivation for doing

Their whole channel is dedicated to tearing different stuff apart, more often than not quite brutally. But apparently they don't destroy really rare stuff, which that mass produced IBM clearly wasn't. So that's not on the same level as effing up computer with supposedly very limited production run, all due to negligence, like 8-bit guy did.

Reply 50 of 133, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-27, 20:41:

his stated motivation for doing

Their whole channel is dedicated to tearing different stuff apart, more often than not quite brutally. But apparently they don't destroy really rare stuff, which that mass produced IBM clearly wasn't. So that's not on the same level as effing up computer with supposedly very limited production run, all due to negligence, like 8-bit guy did.

Exactly. It's not on the same level as the 8-bit guy because IMO it's so much worse. 🙄 You said it yourself, the 8-bit guy damaged the old IBM due to lack of knowledge, negligence, rushing it, you name it. But the intent was most likely to restore or fix it.

OTOH the intent of the person destroying the NOS 5153 was just that: destroying a valuable piece of hardware just for the shock value. I don't think it's so difficult to agree with VileR here 🤷

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 51 of 133, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OTOH the intent of the person destroying the NOS 5153

There's no info if it was NOS or just well preserved one with packaging. Judging from diskette box, it's the latter. Anyway, like I said before, they've smacked mass produced IBM CRT monitor. That stuff is already well preserved by many collectorts and dedicated museums. It may be very cringy from collectors point of view, but historically it won't make any dent.
On the other hand, what 8-bit guy did could be considered by some quite devastating both from collectors and historical POV, despite his intentions.

Reply 52 of 133, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As another victim of that video I hope that posting here will start the long road to recovery and we can all start to heal.

But seriously who uses an angle grinder/ dremel to remove screws on a rare NOS workstation. I just don't understand why he doesn't put a project on hold and cover some thing else while he acquires the needed tools or help and go back to it when he's ready...

But yea a fever dream of a video. 1 out of 10 bent paperclips.

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 53 of 133, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-27, 22:07:

There's no info if it was NOS or just well preserved one with packaging. Judging from diskette box, it's the latter. Anyway, like I said before, they've smacked mass produced IBM CRT monitor. That stuff is already well preserved by many collectorts and dedicated museums. It may be very cringy from collectors point of view, but historically it won't make any dent.
On the other hand, what 8-bit guy did could be considered by some quite devastating both from collectors and historical POV, despite his intentions.

what the 8-bit guy did can probably be repaired again, yes it was a dumb mistake but he didn't destroy anything just for the fun of it, that CRT is just gone, that alone is a stark difference.

and CRTs in general are worth preserving imho, as once they're gone, they're gone, this one looked in pristine condition in the box, and there is just no excuse, if they wanted to see what's inside they could just have taken it apart... (though it really doesn't look like they have a clue at all really).
and just because something was "mass produced" almost 40 years ago doesn't mean there are still that many around, let alone in this good of a condition.

Reply 54 of 133, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-09-27, 22:39:

and just because something was "mass produced" almost 40 years ago doesn't mean there are still that many around, let alone in this good of a condition.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. They're not making new ones, so it's basically another irreplaceable piece of equipment, converted into toxic fodder for E-waste dumps in Africa.

I've had *two* 5153s destroyed by shipping services, despite good packaging, so there's hardly much shock value in seeing that. If anything, those parcel services are even worse, because they get expressly paid to NOT do that shit. 😉

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-05, 04:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 55 of 133, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

snip

I honestly don't see how you could possibly be defending this piece of human shit

8bit guy might be a fuckup, but at least he wasn't destroying things for pleasure

Reply 56 of 133, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, I'm glad I'm not alone in disliking him. I wish I had a way to block his channel altogether but YouTube keeps recommending them for some reason.

Man, what a waste of this machine. I guess "props" to him for daring to display his carelessness to the public?

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 58 of 133, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are basically saying that noone should complain about this or something, which is simply untrue.
It's not about history here, it's about opinions. I think that the vast majority of us here will realize that in 10000 years time, this whole ordeal will most likely not matter. So this basically cannot be the cause of the disconcert being voiced here.

I mean, for instance, if you believe that this guy that basically ruined the Voodoo 5 6000 online community with his playdoh has done absolutely nothing wrong because there are plenty Voodoo 5 6k's preserved already, then you're really missing out on something that is important to a lot of people here. Ruining something for others just because of the fun of seeing it ruined for others is something that either total ignorants or truely sick people do. And some people make it worse by proceeding to ridicule them, but that is kinda pointless imo.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 59 of 133, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-09-28, 10:47:

I don't think he's an asshole. I think he's special - as in on the spectrum special. It might explain a lot.

Feel free to elaborate on this 🤣
You do realize that the so called 'special people' (as you basically call it) are actually over-represented here on Vogons right?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!