VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jefklak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi VOGONS fellows,

On my 486 with a SB16, all other games working and sounding perfectly, Mystic Towers somehow stops its sound propagation to the SB card after 10 seconds or so. It's really strange, when I go into settings and choose HIGH Q. music again (even if it's "enabled" since the floating head selects this option) - the music starts playing again - only to stop (again) after 10 seconds.

On booting the game, one can see that it correctly detected the SB card (I suppose via AUTOEXEC.BAT) and the address 240. I know some games like Halloween Harry require the jumpers to be on 220, but since sound DID play, I was just wondering whether anyone else encountered a similar issue?
I did a quick search but found nothing exactly like this.

Thanks!

Last edited by jefklak on 2020-09-29, 15:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to rule it out, though: could you try configuring your sound card to use base I/O address 220 and play Mystic Towers with that? It's unlikely that this would be the cause, but 220 is so universally considered the safe default, that I don't think it's ever a good idea to deviate from that.

Reply 2 of 7, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you get sound, then the address is not the problem. The sound stopping after a while might indicate an IRQ issue, but 10 seconds seems way too long for that. The only advice I can give is to make sure that the BLASTER environment variable is set up correctly, since that's what the game uses when initializing the sound blaster (-compatible) card. There should be a SET BLASTER=... line in your AUTOEXEC.BAT.

If the SET BLASTER=... line is missing, the game defaults to address 220, IRQ 7 and DMA 1. The game will also use the default value if the corresponding entry is missing in the BLASTER string. The game shows the sound blaster settings at startup, so it should be easy to check if those are the correct values for your system. At least that's how it is in version 1.11 of Mystic Towers.

Reply 3 of 7, by jefklak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's NOT missing, it's there, and yes the games shows the settings correctly, like I said in my first post. Otherwise, the sound would not have been played at all. Strangely enough.

digger, I'll try that and get back to you - I was hoping not to open the case for the nth time but oh well.

Reply 4 of 7, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, setting the base I/O address to 220 will definitely help. Further analysis showed that even though the code parses the BLASTER string and sets the base address variables accordingly, there are still a couple of instances in the code that are hard-coded for base address 220 and prevent the playback routines from working correctly with any other I/O address.

Reply 5 of 7, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jefklak wrote on 2020-09-28, 13:58:

digger, I'll try that and get back to you - I was hoping not to open the case for the nth time but oh well.

Don't close the case until you know it's all working correctly 😉

Also, it's odd that the SB16 is on I/O 240-- what's on 220 that you couldn't choose that instead? And are you sure nothing else (like a NIC, perhaps) on 240?

Reply 6 of 7, by jefklak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
K1n9_Duk3 wrote on 2020-09-28, 20:31:

Yep, setting the base I/O address to 220 will definitely help. Further analysis showed that even though the code parses the BLASTER string and sets the base address variables accordingly, there are still a couple of instances in the code that are hard-coded for base address 220 and prevent the playback routines from working correctly with any other I/O address.

... And VOGONS saves the day - again. Thanks! I closed a jumper and yup, that's it. WTF. Why would the music play for like 10 seconds and then go to a hardcoded value? Just WTF...
Thanks again!

Reply 7 of 7, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jefklak wrote on 2020-09-29, 15:57:
K1n9_Duk3 wrote on 2020-09-28, 20:31:

... And VOGONS saves the day - again. Thanks! I closed a jumper and yup, that's it. WTF. Why would the music play for like 10 seconds and then go to a hardcoded value? Just WTF...
Thanks again!

Since most people configured their Sound Blasters and clones at the recommended I/O base address 220h anyway, I guess some developers and testers didn't test alternative configurations with their games as extensively, causing such erroneously hard-coded parts to slip through quality control.

All the more reason to always stick to the recommended configurations.

Anyway, glad it helped, man! 😃 Enjoy your game.