User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RIP:

Enermax EG495AX-VE(W)
Manufactured March 30, 2005
3.3V and 5V @ 32 A
New Old Stock (NOS)

I paid a pretty penny for it, and it was only used for 12 hours. I heard a loud bang during a Read/Write repair of a 1997 HDD in HDAT2.

I need to see if it took the Abit LX6 and Quantum Fireball ST with it. I have duplicates of the Diamond Viper 330 (Riva128), Pentium II (Klamath), RAM, IDE CD-ROM and IDE floppy, so I'm less concerned about those. Thank goodness I didn't have my Canopus Pure3D and AWE64 Gold plugged into this thing, like I was supposed to.

DSCN6642a.jpg
Filename
DSCN6642a.jpg
File size
277.36 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
DSCN6645a.jpg
Filename
DSCN6645a.jpg
File size
210.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
DSCN6646a.jpg
Filename
DSCN6646a.jpg
File size
47.03 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The toast component is a through-hole ceramic "disc capacitor," right? What does this part usually do in a PSU where it is positioned?

PS- Yes, the noise made me jump out of my seat. It was definitely more of a 'bang' than a 'pop.'

Reply 1 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
piatd wrote on 2020-09-27, 21:17:

The toast component is a through-hole ceramic "disc capacitor," right? What does this part usually do in a PSU where it is positioned?

I have some knowledge and experience with power supplies, and if I am correct, that capacitor is part of the snubber network in the primary side. The job of the snubber network is to catch voltage spikes that inevitably occur at the high frequency transformer, so these spikes don't go so high to destroy some transistors on the primary side. If they fail, the primary circuit might be toast, but it is highly unlikely that this causes overvoltage at the output.

Reply 2 of 5, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had several of these old Enermax platforms with the exacts same faliure. Standby FET, controler, pimary FETs fail and some passsive components too 🙁
I have this now emberassing article I wrote some years ago: https://logout.hu/bejegyzes/finalcaleb/enerma … lelesztese.html
Might help to fix the unit.

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DAVE86 wrote on 2020-09-28, 07:25:

I've had several of these old Enermax platforms with the exacts same faliure. Standby FET, controler, pimary FETs fail and some passsive components too 🙁
I have this now emberassing article I wrote some years ago: https://logout.hu/bejegyzes/finalcaleb/enerma … lelesztese.html

This looks pretty good, even though I can't read it without using a translator 😜
Pardon my ignorance, but what is so embarrassing about it?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 5, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2020-09-27, 21:35:

I have some knowledge and experience with power supplies, and if I am correct, that capacitor is part of the snubber network in the primary side. The job of the snubber network is to catch voltage spikes that inevitably occur at the high frequency transformer, so these spikes don't go so high to destroy some transistors on the primary side. If they fail, the primary circuit might be toast, but it is highly unlikely that this causes overvoltage at the output.

All of my other parts appear to be working, so you may be correct.

DAVE86 wrote on 2020-09-28, 07:25:

That is my exact unit! Looking at your article, I don't have the knowledge, skills and time to attempt an repair like that--let alone the inclination to mess with high voltages. If you'd like my recently-deceased unit, you can have it for the cost of shipping (I'm in the USA). If you decline, anyone else is welcome to it. Otherwise, I will salvage the fans and e-recycle the rest.

Reply 5 of 5, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-09-28, 12:08:

This looks pretty good, even though I can't read it without using a translator 😜
Pardon my ignorance, but what is so embarrassing about it?

Thanks! It was right before I became an engineer and got my diploma. Back then some of my older collegues were picking on me for the wording saying it's too cool thus unprofessional.

piatd wrote on 2020-09-29, 03:28:

That is my exact unit! Looking at your article, I don't have the knowledge, skills and time to attempt an repair like that--let alone the inclination to mess with high voltages. If you'd like my recently-deceased unit, you can have it for the cost of shipping (I'm in the USA). If you decline, anyone else is welcome to it. Otherwise, I will salvage the fans and e-recycle the rest.

Thank you very much but I'll pass. Someone else might be intereseted. Just take it apart. You could probably identify how many parts became damaged.