VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lupinzar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've gotten back into retro computing this year and I recently picked up a Yamaha MU80, as I could never afford an external MIDI device when they were relevant. I have a collection of various MIDI and MIDI-like (XMI, MUS) files I'd like to play on it but I'm having trouble figuring out the best software to use for this. I tested the unit with a USB MIDI cable and a copy of MidiEditor on a Windows 10 machine. This setup seems to have trouble properly playing XG MIDI and even some GM/GS stuff, and I can't play XMI or MUS at all. I've found several modern programs or plugins, but they all seem to rely on emulation or soundfonts and do not support an external device.

Can anyone recommend a good player that can handle a wide range of MIDI formats with native output, or am I looking at having to build a collection of programs and tools? I'm not married to using a modern version of Windows, so modern or retro solutions are both welcome.

Reply 1 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lupinzar wrote on 2020-09-25, 19:04:

I've gotten back into retro computing this year and I recently picked up a Yamaha MU80, as I could never afford an external MIDI device when they were relevant. I have a collection of various MIDI and MIDI-like (XMI, MUS) files I'd like to play on it but I'm having trouble figuring out the best software to use for this. I tested the unit with a USB MIDI cable and a copy of MidiEditor on a Windows 10 machine. This setup seems to have trouble properly playing XG MIDI and even some GM/GS stuff, and I can't play XMI or MUS at all. I've found several modern programs or plugins, but they all seem to rely on emulation or soundfonts and do not support an external device.

Can anyone recommend a good player that can handle a wide range of MIDI formats with native output, or am I looking at having to build a collection of programs and tools? I'm not married to using a modern version of Windows, so modern or retro solutions are both welcome.

Well for any MIDI file, I am Okay with VLC and WMP.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try adding midi mapper back to windows + select your midi device as output
http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2oVkOOlezk
virtualmidisynth
http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly what usb-midi adapter are you using? Those super cheap Chinese ones don't work worth a flip.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by quovadis11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

surprisingly, DOSBOX gives some options with MIDI playing 😀
well, do you have some proper external cable?
many of cheap USB cable from chinese is really crap or garbage.
YAMAHA UX16 works perfectly but hard to find proper price in these days. 🙁

Reply 6 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
quovadis11 wrote on 2020-10-05, 12:40:
surprisingly, DOSBOX gives some options with MIDI playing :) well, do you have some proper external cable? many of cheap USB ca […]
Show full quote

surprisingly, DOSBOX gives some options with MIDI playing 😀
well, do you have some proper external cable?
many of cheap USB cable from chinese is really crap or garbage.
YAMAHA UX16 works perfectly but hard to find proper price in these days. 🙁

The M-Audio Midisport Uno is a relatively affordable and, AFAIK reliable, option .

EDIT : Another option is the Roland UM-ONE mk2 . Both of these cost under 40 CAN$ brand new in my neck of the woods, either through Amazon or my usual brick and mortar shop .