VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 133, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2020-09-30, 07:40:

Comments on the video are now turned off. No mention of the IBM situation in the latest video, and I would not be surprised if any comments about it on his latest video get deleted, if he doesn't already have a keywords filter set up to autoblock them. He might as well have deleted the video entirely, pretty sure the YT algorithm doesn't like it when you disable comments, as it hinders video interaction.

I doubt it. Controversial videos are great for YouTube. Even without comments. It will generate quite a bit of ad revenue for YT...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 81 of 133, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He said in a patreon post he'd make a "rambling" video next for patreons only, so I'm sure it will be brough up there.

Last edited by vetz on 2020-09-30, 08:58. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 82 of 133, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Saw the video before this thread, Wasn't going go say anything but I'm caving.

When he killed the first PC I thought "well that was dumb of him" but it seems like a honest mistake, and I've defiantly made my fair share of those.
As others have said at least he was honest enough to keep in in the video.

I don't think he was the best youtuber for Computer Reset to contact. Look at his previous video's Mac's and 8 bit machines are more his thing. But I understand why they did. A successful youtuber that lives in the same city. Not sure who else is based in the Dallas area.

I don't subscribe to his channel, most of his videos don't interest me, partly the content partly he's style. His presentation at a convention was pretty boring https://youtu.be/2hdazA-VUf0
(not saying I could do any better mind, in fact I'd be worse)

Ultimately though, it's now public knowledge you can get one of these IBM's at Computer Reset but none of them work (scaring off any amateurs at repairs like myself getting one just to part out) plus the memory stuff on this thread, I'd still say retro community as a whole benefited from that 1 PC's sacrifice, and remember it was already sick (didn't boot)

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-01, 05:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 86 of 133, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Destroy". *sigh* Can we all just calm down a bit, please ? 😉 Why not say "damaging" it ?
Sure, he could have been handling things more sensitive (I already said that), but "destroy" ?
That's my definition of it, just for comparison: https://youtu.be/QOG6DAVFrkc?t=414

Edit: Warning, brute force and wanton destruction ahead! Not for the faint-hearted.

Tetrium wrote on 2020-09-30, 01:51:
I hope not this one or we would have missed out on all the new discoveries being made. That is part of what makes Vogons so awes […]
Show full quote
konc wrote on 2020-09-29, 10:15:

Where can I bet about the next thread getting locked?

I hope not this one or we would have missed out on all the new discoveries being made.
That is part of what makes Vogons so awesome 😀 and wouldn't want to have that spoiled because some of
the youtube-like comments is spilling over to here (which imho is something I would rather not see).

I think the same in this special context. As long as we keep things rather civil, it's fine.
Where are we ending up if every thread gets closed just because the opinions are not 100% positive ?
A forum is meant for discussing things, after all. And if we all had the same point-of-views it would be very boring and superficial.
A democracy can and will handle such things, also. Even the word "forum" has the same roots (old Greek).

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-01, 05:54. Edited 3 times in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 87 of 133, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-30, 11:04:

"Destroy". *sigh* Can we all just calm down a bit, please ? 😉 Why not say "damaging" it ?
Sure, he could have been handling things more sensitive (I already said that), but "destroy" ?
That's my definition of it, just for comparison: https://youtu.be/QOG6DAVFrkc?t=414

Can you mark that as NSFW, please? That's downright cruel...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 89 of 133, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote on 2020-09-30, 11:09:
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-30, 11:04:

Can you mark that as NSFW, please? That's downright cruel...

Sorry, my apologies! 😅 At least they promised to not to damage the IBM 5150 in that video..

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 90 of 133, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Witness true horror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-coiu2sizg

Scratch that. Here's true horror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf2tBFfMLMk

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-09-30, 12:05. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 92 of 133, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, no. No need to apology. It wasn't bad at all, IMHO and I'm in no way upset either.
I just wanted to say that we -perhaps- don't need to be all too startled/dismayed of the 8-bit guys actions.
Sorry, if it looked like it. English is not my primary language and I didn't mean to raise a warning finger or something. 😅

//My video channel//

Reply 93 of 133, by spacekats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-09-30, 08:58:

I don't think he was the best youtuber for Computer Reset to contact. Look at his previous video's Mac's and 8 bit machines are more his thing. But I understand why they did. A successful youtuber that lives in the same city. Not sure who else is based in the Dallas area.

I think they contacted him because he's part of the super tight group of nerds in the DFW area that seems to run the place. The Computer Reset admins like to keep everything in their little "club". I mean hell, they have been threatening, muting, or banning people that even talk about this instance in the Facebook group.

Reply 95 of 133, by diagon_swarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a question after seeing the video - will PS/2 Model 30 boot if the BIOS is not set and the RTC battery is dead?

Vintage computers / SGI / PC and UNIX workstation OpenGL performance comparison

Reply 98 of 133, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-30, 17:24:

Well, comments really got too far.

Yes, I get that he disabled the comments. After all he is just a guy that has fun doing retro stuff. He was lucky enough to be able to turn his hobby into his profession. That's awesome for him. Hist technological prowess hardware wise is probably not up to par for some things, and other YouTubers would have looked for help elsewhere. For example I couldn't imagine Neil of RMC to have used the paperclip to "jumpstart" the PSU, but everybody is different... And he didn't kill anyone, even if this is a rare machine, it's only a machine.

Of course there are other points of criticism that one could raise, like his stance on gun policies or other things. But again: He didn't commit any crimes (that I am aware of) and he also has achieved quite some applaudable things, in my opinion. So I suggest to keep the criticism to a constructive level. As a somewhat prominent person he will have to deal with criticism, of course, and in some sense he should react to said criticism by hopefully giving a statement. If he doesn't, then that's also his decision. If you dislike him or his content because of that I suggest that you stop supporting him, be it on Patreon or YouTube etc. He is not there to adhere to our wishes, but he is selling content by making software and YouTube videos for our entertainment.

I think the opinion of the community on THIS particular video is clear. It currently has approx. 33% dislikes, which is immense for a YouTube video. I bet he has learned something from this and I DON'T think he is having a great time at the moment, particularly when comments turn hostile. Think of it that he still is human being that -- as far as I can tell -- hasn't committed any real crime, but who probably made a mistake here, for whatever reason. But he also provided a lot of good things to the community as a whole.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 99 of 133, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
diagon_swarm wrote on 2020-09-30, 16:51:

Just a question after seeing the video - will PS/2 Model 30 boot if the BIOS is not set and the RTC battery is dead?

Yes, just like the "working" model he obtained later did. That one behaved (except for the broken video output) just like a PS/2 model 30 with flat battery. It does not use a standard AT-style RTC, but a MM58167A instead, which only has very few bits of RAM. It doesn't seem to need RAM because memory size is auto-detected on boot, there is only one kind of floppy drive (3,5", 720K) to support and most likely only one kind of hard disk was envisioned by IBM - not that I ever heard about an IBM PS/2 model 30 with an integrated hard drive, though. The three supported monitor types are also auto-detected by the BIOS, so this doesn't need configuration, too. If the battery is flat or the keyboard is missing, you get two beeps after the memory test. I am surprised how quick after power on the two beeps were heard, but maybe the SIMMs in that machine are of the 64KB variety, so the machine has 256KB instead of 640KB. Compare the time-to-beep (assuming no cuts) on the broken machine (5.5s) to the time-to-beep on the nearly working machine (15 seconds). The first machine clearly didn't test 640K of RAM. It took the second machine around 8 seconds to count from 256KB to 640KB, which is still less than the 9.5s difference, so the double beep likely occurred after just testing the base 128K onboard RAM.

Taking a look at the PS/2 BIOS 61x8939/61x8940, a double beep can only occur after the POST completes with error, along the "press F1 to continue" message. If the onboard RAM is bad, the machine dies without any beep. Possibly the POST detected a memory error quite at the beginning of the expansion RAM.

While re-watching that part of the video, I compared the mainboard with the PS/2 model 30 mainboard, and it seems nearly, if not completely identical. At 3:51, you can guess the part number of the mainboard. It seems to look like 61x8825 - and this is a common PS/2 model 30 mainboard indeed! The ISA riser + battery card also looks the same as my one, and the part number shown in the video, 61x8863 also is a common PS/2 model 30 part. The part numbers on my PS/2 model 30 differ, it seems to be from an older batch. When I next have access to the machines, I will take a peek at the newer PS/2 model 30 I have and compare part numbers again. The part number on the floppy drive matches my PS/2 model 30.

So the executive workstation seems to consist of some well-known PS/2 parts (planar + bus board + floppy drive) in a sleek compact case with a special power supply built to fit the form factor of that case, and the internal monitor power supply. Quite a shame that the component that got damaged in this video is one of the components you can't find in your garden variety model 30 computer.

The ASCII art for "time and date not set" is nice (it's a clock with no hands, but four flashing question marks in the center), and the animated ASCII art for "insert floppy disc and press F1 to continue" is even nicer. You get to see both of them if you power the machine on, it lost time and no floppy is inserted.

As the 8-bit guy stated, the one he got had a color monitor (and obviously a 15kHz model), whereas the other computers might have had the 31.5kHz monochrome monitor. I don't hear the 15kHz whine on youtube videos on my hardware, and I am admittedly too lazy to caputure the sound with a spectrum analyzer to find out whether the non-working system had the 15kHz signal others observed at the kind-of working system.