VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"The source code for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and other Microsoft operating systems have been published online this week.

The OS sources were leaked online as a 42.9 GB torrent file on 4chan, an online message board often frequented by trolls and extremist groups.

The content of this torrent file includes source code for several of Microsoft's older operating systems, such as Windows 2000, Embedded (CE 3, CE 4, CE 5, CE, 7), Windows NT (3.5 and 4), XP, and Server 2003.

The files also contained the source code of the first Xbox operating system, MS-DOS (3.30 and 6), and the source code for various Windows 10 components."

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-xp-sour … -of-all-places/

I don't see any Windows 9x listed though.

Reply 1 of 11, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MS-DOS 3.30 and MS-DOS 6.0 have been leaked before. I sure hope that someone in the underground will modernize and update XP, so we can use it forever.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 11, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd think old driver source would be more interesting, nvidias particularlly, but w9x source I could imagine some people wanting to go back to scratch old itches, get past the 512mb limit, past 30 day uptime, remove the do not run if not microsoft checks, see how compatible they could make it with more current apis. All for shits and giggles of course.

Reply 3 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awgamer wrote on 2020-10-01, 10:51:

I'd think old driver source would be more interesting, nvidias particularlly, but w9x source I could imagine some people wanting to go back to scratch old itches, get past the 512mb limit, past 30 day uptime, remove the do not run if not microsoft checks, see how compatible they could make it with more current apis. All for shits and giggles of course.

So in essence, this could make our worst nightmares come true ?
Awesome! 😁

D-awgXdWkAYn199.jpg

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awgamer wrote on 2020-10-01, 10:23:

The OS sources were leaked online as a 42.9 GB torrent file on 4chan, an online message board often frequented by trolls and extremist groups.

It's considerably less impressive when you learn that most of that torrent consists of weird conspiracy-theory anti-Microsoft videos.

awgamer wrote on 2020-10-01, 10:51:

There's already a third-party patch to get past the 512 MB limit. And wasn't the "30-day uptime" problem officially fixed a long time ago? I don't even know what you mean by "the do not run if not microsoft checks", at least as far as Win9x is concerned.

(Was there a patch to bypass the limits on GDI resources? I thought I read something about that at some point.)

In the end, I reckon this isn't going to enable much that you can't already do much more easily with PCem. And I think people are going to be more interested in pursuing a legal open-source alternative than they will be in trying to polish up this code into something useful and risk having their work being taken down and wasted. But sure, we can dream.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-01, 16:36:

In the end, I reckon this isn't going to enable much that you can't already do much more easily with PCem. And I think people are going to be more interested in pursuing a legal open-source alternative than they will be in trying to polish up this code into something useful and risk having their work being taken down and wasted. But sure, we can dream.

Hi, this reminds me of a recent news that I read a few days ago.
Some sort of IT expert thinks that Windows has a future as a Linux powered OS.
In simple words: Linux kernal+Wine and some MS code.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/open-sources-er … n-linux-kernel/

Edit: Typo fixed.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-01, 19:03:

Some sort of IT expert thinks that Windows has a feature as a Linux powered OS.

Eric S. Raymond is a whole lot more than just "some sort of IT expert". He's also probably spent the last 20 years saying that Linux is the way of the future and I couldn't imagine him ever saying anything different.

But eh, maybe he's not wrong. It seems like every few months now there's another massive Windows 10 update that breaks everything, so perhaps it is becoming more and more like Linux. 😜

Reply 7 of 11, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-01, 16:36:

It's considerably less impressive when you learn that most of that torrent consists of weird conspiracy-theory anti-Microsoft videos.

Not really theory when the videos are of Bill saying xyz along with old stream media articles.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-01, 19:20:

Eric S. Raymond is a whole lot more than just "some sort of IT expert". He's also probably spent the last 20 years saying that Linux is the way of the future and I couldn't imagine him ever saying anything different.

But eh, maybe he's not wrong. It seems like every few months now there's another massive Windows 10 update that breaks everything, so perhaps it is becoming more and more like Linux. 😜

Thanks a lot for the info, Jorpho. 😀
I didn't know this. I was too busy avoiding Linux in the past years..
However, I liked to try out Wine and Knoppix once in a while. And ReactOS, too.

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-01, 19:20:

Windows 10 and it's (train-wreck) "updates", finally forced me to switch to Linux as my main OS. Been learning to substitute my usage of windows-based programs to that of native Linux port or through WINE.

Still keeping Windows 7, though in systems that still have official drivers. But haven't checked into that partition for sometime too, now.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 11, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-10-01, 10:50:

MS-DOS 3.30 and MS-DOS 6.0 have been leaked before. I sure hope that someone in the underground will modernize and update XP, so we can use it forever.

I would lean more toward modernization of 2k or NT4

They are much better operating systems than XP, with proper support added in a streamlined efficient code you would have a very lean system.