VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2.7.x and related WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 221 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
djc5166 wrote on 2020-10-07, 15:19:
ZellSF wrote on 2020-10-02, 15:34:
Zero point, hence why I wrote pointless news. […]
Show full quote
Kaminari wrote on 2020-10-02, 12:59:

Dege said previously that dgVoodoo is unrelated to GOG's wrapper.

[Edit] Ah right, I see what you mean. Although I don't understand how they can work together (and what would be the point of that).

Zero point, hence why I wrote pointless news.

lowenz wrote on 2020-10-02, 13:46:

Link to the GOG wrapper? Thanks!

They don't provide it, they just include it with their titles, the last being Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and linking to downloads of those would be piracy.

I just bought these from GOG: GOG's wrapper gives me a black screen and DGVD2 works, but it doesn't seem to render most of the textures. I don't see much info about black screens, is there any DGVD2 settings that get this game working?

Select D3D12 as output API if you have an AMD card.

FulValBot wrote on 2020-10-07, 16:21:

Midtown Madness 1 has serious glitches with and without dgvoodoo2 (i'm unable to select options because these are unreadable)

also direct3d (if supported) is not available (and that option is unreadable...), only software rendering

Yes, as far as I remember D3D is not available, but I cannot remember why. Maybe I only managed to get the sw renderer of the game to work because the other crashed, as I recall.

Reply 223 of 474, by djc5166

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-10-07, 16:34:

Select D3D12 as output API if you have an AMD card.

I have and Nvidia card, I've tried all the all the different outputs from 2.7 (and 2.6) and got the same no textures, but it's better than the black screen I get with GOG's wrapper 😁.

Reply 225 of 474, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote on 2020-10-07, 15:18:
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-05, 22:15:
Awesome! […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote on 2020-10-05, 18:08:

Ok, it's done: 😀

Awesome!

If you -really- want to add even more of the old versions to the Github, or instead just download them yourself, we have them here:
http://wrappers.vogonsdrivers.com/files/Glide … gVoodoo/D3D7-9/
Shouldn't really be missing any.

Uhmm, so you have all of the versions? 😁
Thanks, I'll upload them some day.

As far as I know, it's all the versions that were posted publicly, gathered from DOSFreak's/my collections and The Wayback Machine's archive of your website at archive.org

Hope it comes in handy! 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 226 of 474, by Delfino Furioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm facing regressions with two games:
- Ground Control: crash immediately after launch (it worked using 2.70)
- Age of Wonders Shadow Magic: scaling using "stretched_ar" lead to the game area being rendered partially off-screen (2.64 worked as expected, 2.70 and 2.71 are affected)

both are GoG releases

I'll try using the debug release and provide you with some logs

Reply 227 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Delfino Furioso wrote on 2020-10-08, 14:27:

I'm facing regressions with two games:
- Ground Control: crash immediately after launch (it worked using 2.70)

F*ck... I made an amateur mistake in the code... quickly fixed it.

Delfino Furioso wrote on 2020-10-08, 14:27:

- Age of Wonders Shadow Magic: scaling using "stretched_ar" lead to the game area being rendered partially off-screen (2.64 worked as expected, 2.70 and 2.71 are affected)

Oh, yes, I encountered it when I did my testings with 2.7. But didn't care about that because that game ran only properly in native resolution even with 2.6x (black screen with movie playback).
The game is very sensitive to the game window size so a wrapper-done scaling mode easily break the rendering.

Anyway, now I know the reason, I changed something in the window handling in favor of D3D12. I experimentally undid it and the game worked perfectly with D3D11, even the movie playback seemed to be ok.
But I got a small window in the desktop corner with D3D12 in return.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'm going to update 2.71 because the ddraw bug is very embarrassing but it won't include the other fix.
Use 2.64 for that game for the time being.

Update: Ok, I uploaded 2.71.1.

Reply 229 of 474, by The Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Dege

The Longest Journey has a little render Bug. See Attachment. It seems that every "movable" Object makes a "dot" on the Screen. Tried around with the Settings but could not fix it.

PS: Thanks for the hard Work. Ultima 9 with a few Mods works like a charm 😀

Attachments

• 20201008231446_1.jpg
    Filename
    20201008231446_1.jpg
    File size
    666.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 230 of 474, by djc5166

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-10-07, 19:57:

That's weird, I have both game (not the gog version though) and they work as expected.

Yea I can't get it to work, unless I am doing something wrong. I just removed the GOG wrapper and added DGVD. It never renders any textures.

Or maybe the GOG release actually is different?

Reply 231 of 474, by Icy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Dege, for checking out my pointers!
Yeah, that's what I thought the deal would be with games with that kind of shader problems. And why I have emulators as an example in my mind, maybe in future it'd be possible to implement some kind of per game shader upscale offset tweak like some emus do? Cause ofc it's obvious there couldn't be an universal solution.
About all other games I recheck my settings, I guess there maybe something wrong somewhere on my side.
Btw, I have a kinda esoteric question also. I decided to test Conquest Frontier Wars for a change and apparently it supports 4k natively, but ui text starts to break up slightly at high resolutions, so I dialed down to 1080 so then to upscale to 4k through dgvoodoo. It worked without problems, but I almost immediately noticed that quality is not really similar, 4k through dgvoodoo looks noticeably blurrier.

https://imgsli.com/MjQ5NDg

There was msaa applied in those screenshots, without it blurriness is still present, maybe not that apparent.
And it shows this way not only in this game, but in most I tested, maybe in all of them. I tried to experiment with settings, to change resampling to point sampling or bicubic, but it didn't give me much difference. 1080 should be integer to 4k and give super crisp results at all times, if I understand everything correctly? It's an expected behavior or I could try something else somewhere?

Reply 233 of 474, by Icy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FulValBot wrote on 2020-10-10, 08:59:

There is already an option to set a 2x resolution, try it (but remember that also amd and nvidia drivers include support integer scaling (NOT for 10x0 series and olders)

Thanks for suggestion, but tried it already, it gives me the same exact quality as when I set 4k manually. I also tried to add dsr from 8k to equation and it did help to clear up the results, but it's still kinda cumbersome and in more recent games could become unnecessary taxing. Integer scaling through driver I cannot test yet, have 10th series nvidia still, but I'm not sure if it'd help with dgvoodoo, cause it'll work with what dgvoodoo provides in the first place if I understand correctly

Reply 234 of 474, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange framerate counter mismatch (engine level<->RTSS) using dgVoodoo2 in Unreal/Unreal Tournament ("classic" 227i or the new 227j / 469):

Untitled.jpg

It's exact the half/double value (you can see it very well in UT 469 using the new internal framerate limiter)
ONLY IN WINDOWED MODE! (no issue in fullscreen mode!)

Reply 235 of 474, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Icy wrote on 2020-10-09, 19:01:

Thanks Dege, for checking out my pointers!
Yeah, that's what I thought the deal would be with games with that kind of shader problems. And why I have emulators as an example in my mind, maybe in future it'd be possible to implement some kind of per game shader upscale offset tweak like some emus do? Cause ofc it's obvious there couldn't be an universal solution.

It would be nice, but... I don't know. 😐

About all other games I recheck my settings, I guess there maybe something wrong somewhere on my side. Btw, I have a kinda esote […]
Show full quote

About all other games I recheck my settings, I guess there maybe something wrong somewhere on my side.
Btw, I have a kinda esoteric question also. I decided to test Conquest Frontier Wars for a change and apparently it supports 4k natively, but ui text starts to break up slightly at high resolutions, so I dialed down to 1080 so then to upscale to 4k through dgvoodoo. It worked without problems, but I almost immediately noticed that quality is not really similar, 4k through dgvoodoo looks noticeably blurrier.

There was msaa applied in those screenshots, without it blurriness is still present, maybe not that apparent.
And it shows this way not only in this game, but in most I tested, maybe in all of them. I tried to experiment with settings, to change resampling to point sampling or bicubic, but it didn't give me much difference. 1080 should be integer to 4k and give super crisp results at all times, if I understand everything correctly? It's an expected behavior or I could try something else somewhere?

Well, somebody just reported the same issue on GitHub with Undying, so I checked out it myself. And indeed, there is an error in presenting upscaled DDraw content, it gets blurry.
I've just fixed it, it'll be included in the next version (I guess Conquest Frontier Wars is also a pre-DX8 game, I don't have it).

lowenz wrote on 2020-10-11, 06:29:
Strange framerate counter mismatch (engine level<->RTSS) using dgVoodoo2 in Unreal/Unreal Tournament ("classic" 227i or the new […]
Show full quote

Strange framerate counter mismatch (engine level<->RTSS) using dgVoodoo2 in Unreal/Unreal Tournament ("classic" 227i or the new 227j / 469):

Untitled.jpg

It's exact the half/double value (you can see it very well in UT 469 using the new internal framerate limiter)
ONLY IN WINDOWED MODE! (no issue in fullscreen mode!)

I encountered this phenomenon in some other apps (like a scene demo, its internal fps meter + MSI Afterburner), but I don't know what the reason can be.

The Master wrote on 2020-10-08, 21:20:

@Dege

The Longest Journey has a little render Bug. See Attachment. It seems that every "movable" Object makes a "dot" on the Screen. Tried around with the Settings but could not fix it.

PS: Thanks for the hard Work. Ultima 9 with a few Mods works like a charm 😀

Thanks. It's a known problem with The Longest Journey. Forced res or MSAA causes this.

Reply 236 of 474, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2020-10-11, 10:38:
About all other games I recheck my settings, I guess there maybe something wrong somewhere on my side. Btw, I have a kinda esote […]
Show full quote

Well, somebody just reported the same issue on GitHub with Undying, so I checked out it myself. And indeed, there is an error in presenting upscaled DDraw content, it gets blurry.
I've just fixed it, it'll be included in the next version (I guess Conquest Frontier Wars is also a pre-DX8 game, I don't have it).

Which versions have this problem?