VOGONS

Reply 40 of 54, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What problem do you have?
The only special "driver" is the RLOEW memory patch really.
Everything else is readily available in the Nvidia & Asrock's sites. 😀

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 42 of 54, by carlos55p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon dear GeorgeMan.
I do not know if you can do me a favor, you can pass me the RLOWE patch because the page where they sold it no longer works and I have sent an email to the creator looking here and finding it, until I found the email but apparently like Your page no longer works, and what is left in text only, you can not download the test to test those 10 minutes and I have had less response from the creator, that is why I turn to you so that you can help me with that file and do the you test windows 98 with 4GB of RAM
I thank you in advance that you can help me.

Reply 43 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlos55p wrote on 2020-10-05, 19:31:

I do not know if you can do me a favor, you can pass me the RLOWE patch because the page where they sold it no longer works and I have sent an email to the creator looking here and finding it, until I found the email but apparently like Your page no longer works, and what is left in text only, you can not download the test to test those 10 minutes and I have had less response from the creator, that is why I turn to you so that you can help me with that file and do the you test windows 98 with 4GB of RAM

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator% … olph+R.+Loew%22

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44 of 54, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlos55p wrote on 2020-10-05, 19:31:

Just to give you context the creator passed away last year which is why his email and page no longer works.
The link cyclone3d gave is the full versions of his software that his family made freeware so his legacy can live on.

Reply 47 of 54, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlos55p wrote on 2020-10-10, 23:35:

Good afternoon GeorgeMan, cyclone3d, chinny22.
Question, do you know if the creator Rudolph R came to create a patch for Windows 98 in which it supports Multiple Core and Thread Processors

No, he did not . That would have been a rather major patch, IMHO, possibly a kernel re-write . Also what would have been the point ? Windows 98 runs on multicore/multithreaded machines fine but uses just one CPU core, so there would have been no added compatibility incentive . Additionally, software that works under Windows 98 usually does not make significant use of multiple cores anyway (EDIT : when run under OSes that support multiples cores/hyperthreading). Did you have something specific in mind ?

Reply 48 of 54, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

R. Loew was a smart guy and he already thought this way. But he knows he couldn't completly rewrite the windows (esp. without sources) so he rather created specialized SDKs for multiprocessing and for using memory beyond 4GB, it's listed in his software site:

MULTCORE: SDK to support Multiple Cores.
MEMORY64: 64-Bit Memory SDK for Visual C++.

This would enable the developers, who for some reason needs still run on W98, to write theirs SW to utilize this modern HW capabilities with his SDK. But I never seen a public available app that would use his SDK. Unfortunatelly after his death this SDKs was not found/published yet... but probably nobody would put effort in it even if available...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 51 of 54, by carlos55p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Darry
Actually no process for any program.
But it can be used to load a program for a core and other programs for other cores, which would make the processor more efficient and not saturate all the programs in a single core.

Reply 52 of 54, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlos55p wrote on 2020-10-14, 03:08:

Hello Darry
Actually no process for any program.
But it can be used to load a program for a core and other programs for other cores, which would make the processor more efficient and not saturate all the programs in a single core.

I kind of get the idea behind this but realistically no program that's better run on Win9x than on NT based Windows will get a noticeable performance improvement from having its own designated CPU core when running on something like a Q6600. Maybe you'd get a couple points in benchmarks but the CPU is that overkill for anything pre 2002 you wouldn't notice it in real world applications.
It's just not worth losing any sleep over this. 😎

Reply 53 of 54, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replace the fan with PWM fan for the CPU heatsink. Your motherboard has PWM support. This will make fan much quieter if you don't mind spending is noctura.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 54 of 54, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-10-14, 20:02:

Replace the fan with PWM fan for the CPU heatsink. Your motherboard has PWM support. This will make fan much quieter if you don't mind spending is noctura.

Cheers,

Hi,
This build is long ago sold, but I have to say I miss it. 😒
Staying with latest officially supported hardware made 98SE experience so good, it was super stable.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C